164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sony (PS2)

18 10.98%
  • Microsoft (Xbox)

66 40.24%
  • Nintendo (GameCube)

80 48.78%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which company do you think will be the first to drop out?

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which company do you think will be the first to drop out?

Historically, the video game market can only support 2 consoles. For example: In the console wars between the SNES and Genesis, numerous competitors tried to take a hold, including NEC, SNK, and Atari. All failed. More recently, Sega dropped out after fending off Nintendo and Sony for years. So: which company do you think will make gaming history by painfully saying farewell to its fanboys?

I say Microsoft, because Sony is not going down, and Nintendo learns from its competitors a lot faster than Microsoft. Example: When faced with genres Nintendo didn't have under its belt in the NES era, they came up with innovative products like Mario Kart, F-Zero, and Star Fox with their next console. These titles also showed off the strong points of the console. However, Microsoft makes a lot of old mistakes by launching an expensive console with few and boring exclusive titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i voted nintendo, i wont go into it as its 00:13am and im off to bed!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Nintendo (and just to piss people off ill say my reason is cuz they are a kiddie system)
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nintendo already lost number 2, and it will NEVER win it back...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd like to see Nintendo do a Sega and drop out of the console market. I'd also like a company like Atari to come back with a dire effort and then fade away again...

I'd like to see a Nintendo / Sega / Atari merger which would see them develop a super console to take on the two major giants!!! And then still lose! Ha ha ha! That would really show them and put rest to age old questions and theories!

From a money point of view, i'd really like to see one of them drop out just so us mortals have some decent cash to focus on other things. It becomes expensive owning all the current competitor's and having to buy peripherals and games for all of them...

Not to mention still buying games for consoles long gone...

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm hoping Nintendo will come back with the Revolution (tenative title for their next system.) We all can see how innovative the DS is and how it will probably become the hot Christmas item this holiday season. Hopefully, Nintendo will do that with their next console, losing old adages like "make the 18+ set think you're kiddy", "online gaming is evil", and "who needs backwards-compatibility?" Also, the next Metroid, Zelda, and Mario games should be online-compatible. It's impossible to find someone who would want to play Four Swords, and even harder to find someone with the GBA-GC adapter. Metroid could also become a Halo-killer with an online mode.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i honestly don't know...i think nintendo only because they are setting themselves up for future failure like sega did with the saturn...saturn flopped with the generall public (bastards) and when the DC came out it was just left in the wake of the saturns failure....now the GC is low on the totem poll and i doubt it will work its way up unless they can give people a reason to purchase there next gen system
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"For example: In the console wars between the SNES and Genesis, numerous competitors tried to take a hold, including NEC, SNK, and Atari. All failed"

i wouldnt say that SNK really failed. They released one system and it lasted for neary 10 years.
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there really isnt a system...besides 3DO i can say failed...they all were great but our society couldnt support more than 2 or 3 consoles....
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Edit: Im changing my mind...I realized something important

Nintendo possibly

Their support is just enough to get by....they may get the bad word of mouth from the public and hearing many people say "I don't even touch my GameCube barely...since {Insert New game for PS2/Xbox here} arrived"

Screw'em, Nintendo is a household name like Atari was (Still is, thanks to TV Games Plug and Play) and Big N isn't going anywhere...

The portable wars have yet to begun here in the rest of the world besides Japan

So only time will tell....but...if all else fails....Nintendo will always have the upper advantage in the portable market
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo will never drop out as long as its handheld lines keep selling.

I voted Microsoft. I like them and all, but they have lost TONS of money on the Xbox alone, and with rumors of them dropping key Xbox features (hard-drive) and backwards compatibility AND the fact they plan to make multiple versions of the new console... I think its all just an act of desperation... and stupidity.

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will get into it later as well but i said Nintendo.
    Thay have lost alot of momentum but i don't see any of them dropping out for awhile yet.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think if I had been five years older back then, I would definately have bought the Saturn and stuff... It all depends on the market really, plus you also have to consider that it was still in the early days of Cd Rom technology and people were not yet ready to completely give up on carts - Especially as Nintendo still vowed to be using them for the Ultra 64...

The thing with Sega and Nintendo is - They are both mostly Japan orientated - Even western games are still orientated towards the Japanese way...

Whereas the PlayStation had more of a worldwide feel to it.

And that is what I think has been their downfall - Sega and Nintendo are not yet prepared to open up, whereas Microsoft and Sony are.

Microsoft and Sony are both bigger companies too, and use their expertise from other area's of development to improve on thir gaming aspect - Nintendo, Atari, and Sega were all gaming only, so didn't have anything else to fall back on - For funding and innovation.

Saying that, stricktly speaking the 3DO and CDi should've done a lot better, but I think they entered at the wrong time.

I'd like to see another Panasonic machine surface though - Maybe in conjunction with the previously mentioned Sega / Nintendo / Atari sydicate!!!

Just look what they achieved with a partnership with Nintendo!!! Just think what else they could do with Sega and Atari on their side!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as it kills me to say it... I voted Nintendo. Teens today aren't really looking for the games that Nintendo puts out. They would much rather play GTA or Halo, than say a Legend of Zelda game. No matter what happens in the future, I will always remember Nintendo as dominating company that it once was in the early 90's.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally hate Sony and everything they touch. Granted I have a PS2 for select titles and the such, but i want to see Sony go down, Nintendo rise, and for Bill Gates to call Nintendo his daddy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted Microsoft. Not because I'm sure they will drop out first, but because I don't want to vote Nintendo I just can't see the company I grew up with going anywhere damnit! If that ever happens, it will truly be a sad day for me....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo used to be great.
    I have nothing but good things to say bout nintendo pre-1996. Pre-n64. Pre-Pokemon.
    Nowadays, I see nintendo as a lot like EA. Both companies used to rock out hard in the 16 bit days. Many of my favourite 16 bit titles came from EA.
    Both companies still produce a number of great works. Medal of honour, james bond on the EA side, f zero, wario land on the nintendo side.....
    Both companies are riding a thin wave. EA with it's sports titles; nintendo with it's pokemon and crappy re-releases.
    Jack Trameil must have invaded Nintendo. who joined up with those nimrods in 1995? Any significant newcomers in that year? Holy shit.
    Sony, I used to hate. All the PS1 years, I hated their junk. Now? Ps2 + Rockstar games' GTA Vice city = knocked my socks off. Backwards compatibility will keep sony in the game.
    I don't see Microsoft dropping out. They're the Intellivision of today. The high-class graphics, the pompous ass supporting it (bill gates) and an endless money flow.
    As far as first party titles go, GameCube IS A KIDS' SYSTEM. only when some EA shooters, Ikaruga, and a few other gems are included does it lose this. (No matter what the package has for a rating, as much as I am a total slave to F Zero GX, i consider it an "E FOR EVERYONE" game. Teen? what?).
    So far as I can see, nintendo has been riding GBA since it's release. That's what has kept them alive. If DS flops, nintendo is out. And remember their last third line - virtual boy.
    Nintendo, it's time for you to go. Byebye Shigeru. You are the weakest link. You used to be a hero. now you're an imbecile. Goodbye.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted Nintendo.

I'm sorry Big N, but your numerous accessories, the limited support, and your self-destucive desire to appeal to nothing more than the Nintendo elite have done nothing but plant your butt in 3rd place.

And while i'm not the biggest Microsoft fan (although they did give me "Age of Empires"), i do have to commend them from going from being a nothing in the console VG world to a 2nd place position in such a short period of time.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EnemyZero
    ... low on the totem poll...
    Actually, the low man on the totem pole is the power position as it is supporting all the rest on it's shoulders. Google it up.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Simply put, if Nintendo keeps trying to change the way we play videogames, they're going to kick themselves out of the gaming market.