Thread: Is it safe to assume that all Jap systems are US compatible?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Default Is it safe to assume that all Jap systems are US compatible?

...or are there some systems that won't work over here?

Also, how would one go around the different power supply voltages? Would a US supply from the US system equivalent work?
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I can't think of any that don't work in the US. I think the RF systems can be a little tricky, though (but I don't have any experience with those, so hopefully someone else can confirm).

Power supplies shouldn't be an issue. You can use the Japanese ones just fine, but the US ones should work okay too assuming they're compatible with the system itself (what with plugs being shaped differently and such).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I believe some TVs will have issues with older RF-only systems such as the original Famicom, SG1000 or CassetteVision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For voltage differences, you can get a stepdown convertor:

http://www.voltageconverters.com/go.asp?ic=VC100J
    I use this model for my Neo Geo CD & PC-FX. On most systems, you can probably get away with plugging right into a US outlet, but the NGCD is really picky and will spontaneously reboot at 110V. The PCFX has a hardwired power supply & I already had the convertor so it gets the conversion treatment too. If a system uses the typical 'wall wort' style power connector, there's no problem in substituting a US supply with similar output characteristics. I use a Genesis power supply with my Famicom, and a Radio Shack supply with my Super Grafx.

As for RF, my Famicom works fine over RF on channel 4. I'm using a Sony TV, and it has to briefly do the auto fine tune thing before it comes in clearly, but it looks & sounds 100% OK. YMMV, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about the older stuff, but I have used these without any problems.

Saturn
    DC
    GC
    XBox
    PS2
    PC Engine Core Grafx
    Turbo Duo
    What have you done America?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    I believe some TVs will have issues with older RF-only systems such as the original Famicom, SG1000 or CassetteVision.
    I've just run into this problem recently... I always assumed that the 100V Japanese systems would work fine in a US outlet (according to the guy at Radio Shack I asked a year ago). I received a Sharp Twin Famicom Disk System (A/V hookups) a year ago and it worked fine without any transformer, and I assumed that it would be OK to do so. I haven't played it that much and then not for a long period of time. A couple of months ago, I received an original (RF hookup) Famicom, I hooked it up, and nothing, it didn't work. I had no idea why that one wouldn't work but my Sharp unit did work. My girlfriend called her friend in Japan--the person who gave it to her to give to me--and asked what I was doing wrong, and he seemed to think that the voltage difference was indeed a factor--and said I shouldn't play the Sharp unit anymore or else I could ruin that one in time.

Questions--please advise!:

1. Did I instantly ruin my original Famicom (RF) unit when I turned it on the first time, or is there still hope it could work? Could a transformer make it work?

2. Do you recommend that I get a transformer for the Sharp Twin Famicom Unit or will it be OK to keep on using it directly in the US outlet without a transformer? Will it indeed go bad without it?

I appreciate the advice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Short answer: Using Japanese consoles with US line current is probably ok. It works for most people.

Less short answer: Japanese voltage is 100, US is 110-120. Therefore, Japanese transformers will run 10-20% over design specs. This may or may not be an issue, depending on the construction of the power supply.

In a nutshell, there are 2 stages in converting line voltage into usable power for a game console: The transformer stage, and the regulator stage. The transformer cuts the 100-120v down to anywhere between 5 and 15v depending on the console. Then, that power is supplied to the voltage regulator(s) which (typically) generate the 5v that is used by the console itself. Many regulators have wide operating ranges (the 7805 regulator, used in 5 billion different consoles, works from anywhere between 7.5->30 something volts).

So, if your transformer stage goes 10-20% overvoltage, chances are it's going to be regulated down anyway and make no difference to the console. If a Japanese transfomer is supposed to output 9, it might output 10v when plugged into US lines. The only question is whether the transformer will safely run within that range continuously. For that, I have no idea.

What do I do? I switch out Japanese power supplies for similar US ones when I can. If it's a console with a built-in or custom power transformer (PC-FX, Neo Geo CD), I use a step-down.

I know I only half-answered the question, but this is one of those soul-searching find-your-own-destiny kind of things. Basically, I won't say one way or another since I don't get paid to warranty your video game hardware

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, so I'm getting ready to buy a step-down transformer for Japanese systems at this site:

http://www.voltageconverters.com/japan_voltage.html

Question: not sure which wattage to get. What does anyone else use? Will the 100W one suffice? I checked the wattage of my import systems and the amounts listed seem really low (the Famicom was like 4 watts, is it really that low?). Just wanted to be sure before selecting one. I would only use this for video game systems and not anything more powerful.