Thread: The happiest I've been purchasing a game in a long time...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The happiest I've been purchasing a game in a long time...

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting slightly irritated paying the increasing prices for certain games that are good, but not worth extra dough. Example? Ok, Tom Clancey's Ghost Recon 2...here at the local video game stores it sells for $55...ok... if it was revolutionary I would understand, but I've just purchase two great games Viewtiful Joe 2 and Onimusha 3: Demon Siege. It made me so happy to find that VJ 2 was only $30 brand-new and Onimusha 3 was only $16.

I am willing to pay $50 for certain games: Halo 2, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid 3: S.E., ect... but I feel myself feeling cheated when getting a game nowdays, spending $50-$60 on it, and only getting 6 hours of game play out of it (if I'm lucky...Devil May Cry 2)
    There's a reason there's a banana in my ear...I'm trying to lure the monkey out of my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only game I've ever paid $49.99 for is GTA: San Andreas, and it'll probably stay that way for some time. I have so much in my collection right now that I'll have more than enough to play until I can get the newer stuff I want cheap.

Oh, and if you haven't already, check out CheapAssGamer. You have to sign up for the message board, but it's free and well worth it. I've saved quite a bit of money on current-gen games (and older stuff too in a few cases) since I first checked out the place.

Btw, nice s/n. The Critic was an awesome show.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sadly I live my life by The Critic...but cheapassgamer is great, they've saved me hundreds over my recent collection spending sprees.
    There's a reason there's a banana in my ear...I'm trying to lure the monkey out of my head.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, I've said this in other threads, but I buy new games at full price all the time.

Not ALL games, you understand. Some I do wait to pick up used, or wait for bargin bin prices. Especily with PC games, as they drop faster then console games.

But now a days, and for about four years now, I have a system.

1) Buy new game, take home, play
    2) When finished, or I get to the 'six months rule', I decide if I want to keep the game or sell it.
    (six months rule -- if I have'nt touched or thought about a game in that time, I'm not going to play it again)
    3) Put game up for sale on Amazon.
    4) Get about $30-40 out of it.
    5) Consider the difference as a 'rental fee' and use the money to buy another game
    6) Repeat cycle

Works for me, but I ain't a collector either. It's also why currently I only have 8 Xbox, 6 PS2, 5 GC, and 5 PS1 games....
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The unfair thing is that prices are getting translated 1:1 to Euros, so we're paying up to 60€ for new games, which equals $79. So stop complaining about expensive games ;D
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehe.. there was a time when I paid full price for some games; but oddly enough.. it was a few years back.. and the games were PC games. I remember shelling out 50 bucks with NO hesitation when Homeworld came out.. and as for any Mechwarrior title.. well.. I'm a bit embaressed to even talk about it.

Nowadays.. I don't but ANYTHING brand new (I've since given up my enthusiasm for PC games and switched to consoles as my MAIN source of entertainment. I dunno.. I'm an old dude; and what with alot of PC games being "ported" successfully to consoles [or vice versa..] I find the "convenience" of consoles more appealing.).

I bought my Xbox only about a year ago. My PS2 about two years ago; and a Gamecube.. only last week. For some reason.. Nintendo consoles have always been at the "bottom" of my priority list (save for the SNES).

I got Halo in a lot with my Xbox when I boiught it (about a year after it's release) and I'll probably wait months before I buy Halo 2. I just don't like paying full price for ANY game anymore; and I have enough games in my collection to keep me entertained long enough to where I can "wait" for ANY game to come down in price (THAT'S nirvana to me); but then again.. I rarely have time (or the attention span) to finish any game I play anymore (Although I hope to retire some day and finish them all.). I only "collect" the games I like.

Having said that.. I'll probably rush out and buy MechAssault 2 when it comes out.. but I'm a "mechead" at heart (Even though I waited over a year to get MechAssault.). Crap.. I'm wondering if there will EVER be another Mechwarrior game for the PC (damn Microsoft!). Geez.. I'm beginning to wonder if I should put some prepubescent statement like "FASA rules/ruled" in my sig line or not.

Oh well..
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

I pay $49.99 for tons of games, but not over $49.99 cuz that would be a rip off. In fact, no games shouldn't be over $49.99 on consoles unless it'z a bundle like DDR and it'z pad. Same thing goes for GBA/SP games, they shouldn't be over $29.99.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Geez, you guys are spoiled!

Do you know how much Final Fantasy II and Drakkhen cost when the SNES was launched in '91? They cost $79.99 US retail, new. Games have gotten A LOT cheaper thanks to CD's/DVD's. Thank your lucky stars that they're as cheap as they are for the amount of quality you get out of them. Your average Neo Geo game was over $100 during Neo's heyday. Games are getting cheaper and cheaper, and I'm glad for it. If they're $55 instead of $49, that's really nothing to shout about. Phantasy Star IV on Genesis was $99.99...now THAT'S worth complaining about.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I've heard that, but I've yet to find anyone who can show me a picture of a sealed copy with the price tag still on it.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Only games I buy brand new are GB/GBA games.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I've heard that, but I've yet to find anyone who can show me a picture of a sealed copy with the price tag still on it.
    It's not a joke...I bought it for that. I don't have the reciept either though...no one saved stuff like that back then. It was INSANELY expensive. And Chrono Trigger was $69.99 too.

Anyway, be glad you aren't in Canada where your $49.99 game is $69.99 and I have to pay 15% tax on top of that, adding another $10.50 to the price! With the current low exchange, that makes it $65.56 US for your $49.99 game here in Canada. FRIGGIN OW.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rarely buy games new anymore. At least not over $30. (Sadly I wasted my money on Viewtiful Joe for the Cube when it was $35 only to find out I hate it and I HATE IT!! I HATE IT SO MUCH! And right after that, it dropped to $20. Fuck! Damn Joe. I hate you so much! HATE HATE HATE!!! Okay, I'm done.

Other than that, I have no problem buying a game new for $20 if I know I'll like it. Used for $17.99 if I'm not sure. (To be sure I can return it.)

It has to be a game I'll love, or one I like the packagaing for for me to spend over $30. (Damn you, VJ.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This topic comes up too much. Where the "see these threads, locked" person?

If you don't want to pay it, wait. If it's marked that much and STAYS that much, then people ARE buying it for that much.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

You damn kids! You don't know how easy you've got it! In MY day, we paid nearly $70 for a game like Super Mario RPG or Kirby Super Star. And we had to walk FIFTEEN miles to the store to get it! With no shoes! In eight feet of SNOW! While wolverines driving snowmobiles chased us!

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Hey, you guys got a good price if Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG were $70. :P I had to pay $80 for each of 'em. Kirby Super Star was $70 for me, I think.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Yeah, the "deluxe system" concept is done away with, too, so everybody's spending a lot less money buying peripherals and new consoles. Think about all the friggin' add-ons we had to buy to get the most out of our Genesis and TG-16. My TG-16 setup with the CD player easily cost at least $600 when all was said and done. The Genesis with 32X and Sega CD probably had $700-$800 plunked into it for HARDWARE ALONE. I noticed right away, though, that games on CD's were cheaper than cards or cartridges. I mean, a CD costs what, a nickle to make?

Nowadays systems are packed full of crap and you can get them for less than $200 if you just wait a little while. That's probably a big reason why video gaming has boomed since the advent of the Playstation.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My rule for the PS2 and Cube is not to buy any game without replay value to it. That way I don't get bogged down by games that just sit on the shelf. There's nothing to trade in, so there's nothing to lose money on. The nice thing about the current gen consoles is that the price of software falls quickly after release.

The N64 is the only place where I'll buy a title that I might not play other than once or twice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson
    You damn kids! You don't know how easy you've got it! In MY day, we paid nearly $70 for a game like Super Mario RPG or Kirby Super Star. And we had to walk FIFTEEN miles to the store to get it! With no shoes! In eight feet of SNOW! While wolverines driving snowmobiles chased us!
    And then you found out about the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" policy and went home empty-handed, right?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.