Thread: New PS2 model compatibility issues?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New PS2 model compatibility issues?

Hello -
    Okay, I'm finally admitting to myself that I need to replace my PS2, I'm getting disc read errors way too much, and I've tried the easy fixes. No dice.

So, if I were to buy one, what should I expect from the new model PS2?

I've heard that some PS/PS2 games won't play on it, but I can't come up with a list.
    Also - what is it's track record with DVD's? I use my PS2 for that, too.

If anybody can point me to a pertinent link, I'd be much obliged.
    Thanks.
    It's only a game if you PLAY it!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I've read that Crash Twinsanity has some severe issues with it (freezing up).

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You may be able to get Sony to fix it for free, although if you've opened up your PS2 you're probably out of luck. Check these threads for more information:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41720
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47599

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

set it upright instead of on the flat side/laying down side

standin it up works wonders for me, someon on here recomended it to me and its working, im one happy camper now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default free fixes

just this month, i got my aging ps2 replaced by sony for free because the laser was crapping out and giving dres left and right. it was four years old and had been opened and repaired by a "non-sony technician," but i coughed up the cash to mail it out to them and got a brand new one back.

give it a shot...the service lady i got was saying that they couldn't fix mine, until she heard that diagnostic mode gave no response or result, and that seemed to change things. just call them and do everything they ask, they might do yours too.

-sharc

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the great advice, everybody!

Okay, I called them up.

At the end of our conversation, the operator said tha SCEA would waive the repair fee and fix it for me, and he is e-mailing me the complete return instructions.
    I am to print it, fill it out, and tape it to the PS2 when I return it.

I mentioned that I still have the original box & inserts - he asked if I wanted those returned, too. I said yes, and he said "Then don't send the box. You won't get it back." Good thing to know!

Incidentally, I have never modded it or commited any warranty-violating
    sins.

After I get the e-mail from Sony, I'll post any interesting info I get from it.
    Sounds like everything's going to work out okay!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, here's the bulk of the e-mail that I got from Sony:
    __________________________________________________ _______

Dear PlayStation(R) Owner,

Thank you for contacting Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced with your PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system. Here is the information you requested:

Package and send in ONLY your console, unless instructed otherwise by the phone representative.
    Please be sure and remove any software discs, memory cards, controllers, the Network Adaptor (Ethernet/Modem) (for PlayStation(R)2), Internal Hard Disk Drive (40GB) (for PlayStation(R)2), or
    other peripherals before packaging the console for shipment. SCEA will pay the return shipping costs, but you are responsible for shipping in to our facility.

Send the console to:

San Diego SSC
    16795 Via Del Campo
    San Diego, CA 92127
    Price: 0.00 Tax: 0.00
    Shipping: 0.00 Total: 0.00

Please fill in the blank spaces below, verify the information that has been provided for you, and print two copies of this letter. Please attach one copy to your console (using tape or something similar) before packaging it for shipping, and keep the other for your records. It is very important that we receive this letter with your console. If you do not include this letter it may affect our ability to return the console to you.

Name:__________________________________
    Street:__________________________________
    City, State, Zip Code:__________________________________
    Telephone #:__________________________________
    Barcode #:
    Model #: PS2NA

Reason you are sending your console:
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Please list all items being sent, INCLUDING any software stuck inside your console:
    __________________________________________________ _______________

PLEASE NOTE: SCEA is not responsible for items shipped with your console that you have not listed above. This includes software discs, an HDD, Network Adaptor, controller, etc.

The following number is your Service Request Number:XXXXXXXXXX. Please ensure that this number appears at the top of this letter.

IMPORTANT: In order for us to process your No Fee offer* from Consumer Services, you must print the following on the outside of the package:

1. Your full name
    2. Your address
    3. The SR# indicated above

We recommend sending your console by traceable mail, insured mail, or courier ground service.
    IMPORTANT: Turn around time for all repairs is approximately 7 to 10 working days from the time we receive the console, not including shipping and handling time. Please allow 7 to 10 days before checking the status of your console to allow for shipping and processing.

Please be aware that the service center reserves the right to repair your console, exchange it with a factory-refurbished unit, or return it to you, according to the service center's diagnosis.

Consoles are shipped by the service center in a box that was designed to protect them during shipment. Therefore, when sending your console to our facility, please do not use the original box, as we will be unable to return it to you. The console will normally be returned to you via a
    courier ground service. If you have an HDD and your console must be exchanged, you will need to reformat your HDD causing the loss of any data stored on it. SCEA is not responsible for lost data.

Your repaired or exchanged console will come with a new 90-day limited warranty. Please hold on to the invoice that arrives with your console, as this is proof of your new warranty.

*Please note that any issue with your console that was caused by physical abuse, neglect, misuse, or modifications not performed by Sony, may be excluded from this offer, and may not be repairable.
    In such cases a diagnostic and return-shipping fee may apply.

If you have additional questions, you can view the FAQ section of PlayStation.com or send us an email by visiting:

http://www.us.playstation.com/contactus.aspx?id=select

If you would prefer to call us, you can reach our Consumer Services Department at (800) 345-SONY (7669).
    Our representatives are available to assist you Monday through Saturday 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., and Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
    Consumer Services
    Sony Computer Entertainment America

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's similar to the e-mail I got from Sony when I had my PS2 repaired a few months back, with the exception that I sent mine to their Bristol, PA repair center. I also sent the console in my original PS2 box and got it back OK. But they didn't mention anything about the original box like in your e-mail, so you should probably use a regular box like they recommend.