Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vatlva (Saturn)

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Vatlva (Saturn)

This is a really neat game! I'm sure that most people here already know of it, as it tends to get alot of high praise just due to the fact that its characters were designed by Hitoshi Ariga, the #1 most popular Mega Man manga artist. He also designed the characters for Beyond Oasis, AKA, The Story of Thor. So that automatically qualifies this game for greatness, at least graphically so. You may also know of it as the prequel for the GBA game Car Battler Joe.

Basically, you choose a car and travel from arena to arena, blowing up your opponents. That's the whole point of the game, vehicular arena combat. There are 6 vehicles to choose from, and there can be up to 6 players in one arena at a time. So obviously this is another reason why it's a popular game, it's one of the few multiplayer imports available, and it's one of the better ones. Sort of like Bomberman, but while driving in various vehicles.

The vehicles are extremely varied also. There's a buggy, a rally car, a hover craft, a 4-footed gun, a road roller, a battle tank, and a hidden vehicle that I've yet to unlock, so I don't know what it is. Each one is outfitted with their own special weapons for offense and protective shields for defense.

There are 12 different arenas to fight in, each with terrain as varied as the vehicles themselves. Each one has various obstacles that can aid in your defense, and throughout the battle new weapons and upgrades will appear in the arena for whoever gets to them first. So you're not just fighting for survival, you're fighting for new enhancements too, as well as a high score.

The game is also compatible with the Saturn MPEG decoder, which was never released here in the US. I assume that means that you'd have to have a Japanese system to be able to use it, but if anyone has information to the contrary, I'd love to know about it. If there's a way that I can get one of those MPEG decoders to work with my American Saturn, then I just might have to get one for this game. It already looks gorgeous, so if it can possibly look even better, then I really wanna see just how much better it can look!

Overall it's a very fun game that should've been released here in the states for sure, but for some strange reason it never made it. I suspect that it's probably only because of it's MPEG decoder compatibility. Since Sega chose not to release the MPEG decoder here, I guess they figured there was no point in releasing any of the MPEG decoder compatible games here either. It's no wonder that the sequel did manage to make it to US shores though!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default Re: Vatlva (Saturn)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    The game is also compatible with the Saturn MPEG decoder, which was never released here in the US. I assume that means that you'd have to have a Japanese system to be able to use it, but if anyone has information to the contrary, I'd love to know about it. If there's a way that I can get one of those MPEG decoders to work with my American Saturn, then I just might have to get one for this game. It already looks gorgeous, so if it can possibly look even better, then I really wanna see just how much better it can look!
    I remember reading that the cartridge slot and the hardware card connector were universal so you could use hardware from anywhere. Only the software is locked out by country codes. You should have no problem using one of the MPEG cards in any saturn.

It's a decoder for MPG files like the ones used on VCD's So instead of Saturn's software decoding of cinepak CPK files it can use faster hardware decoding. I'm sure for the most part it improves the cut scene's and ads extra FMV.

I think there are three different ones like JVC and Hitachi and one other. They pop up every once in a while on eBay and from time to time on Lik-sang or lan kwei.

VJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I'm glad somebody likes this game besides me... it's awesome! One player and especially two... this game is freaking cool.

It's CHEAP too!

As far as the VCD card goes... it is indeed one of the few Saturn games that can take advantage of it (I think there's a Lunar game too?)

I've got a modded Saturn with a card, biut it also worked on my USA Saturn with convertor cart, no problem.

It's NOT that great of an upgrade... it just takes the nomally letterboxed video and makes it full-screen. I understand the Lunar game utilized the card much more.

Cheers

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default Re: !

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich

It's got that great of an upgrade... it just takes the nomally letterboxed video and makes it full-screen. I understand the Lunar game utilized the card much more.

Cheers

There are only 4 Saturn games that use MPEG I think? But Lunar MPEG is supposed to be the best Lunar available and the game will not play without the decoder card.

vj

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

COOL, thanks for all the info! Maybe I'll save up for one of those decoder cards for it sometime then. This game is amazingly cheap, and seems to be very obscure for some reason, which is very surprising considering that it's just about as close as you can get to playing Twisted Metal on the Saturn.

Get BIT!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Oh Yeah,

Some of the alternate saturn units like the HI saturn and JVC's came with the MPEG card.

Not suprising since hitachi and jvc were the main manufacturers of them

VJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I've heard that HI Saturn is a sweet system too, if I could afford one, I'd go for it, because I sure could use a JPN Saturn system for some games!

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

won't be cheap for V-Saturn...
    [img]http://[/img]

and even more for Skeleton...
    [img]http://[/img]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MMM... I do love the skeleton! But what's so special about the V-Saturn, is it just another one of those alternate manufacturer models, like the Hi-Saturn?

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

yes. And like Hi-Saturn there are M1 and M2 variant. You can have Hi-Saturn in any colour you like as long as it's black. For V-Saturn M1 was grey like standard JPN but in two tone and M2 was in light purple instead of white...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, what are the M1 and M2 variants? I'm really not up on all the Japanese systems at all, so I could use this information before I commit to a purchase.

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Saturn was originally launched in grey colour shell in Japan and in black when it was launched in US and Europe. To their wisdom Sega tinkered with Saturn's internal and made various revisions with earlier model - often called M1 as Model 1. When Sega was relaunching Saturn as multimedia rather than just simple game console they redesigned the shell and made it into white - apparently to appeal to female buyers... This one is quite different from grey unit both internally and externally and had round button and no disc access LED - and we call it M2 as Model 2.

actually last grey Saturn HST-3200 and first white Saturn HST-3201 are almost identical internally just different shell...

There really isn't any difference in terms of performance although some may argue otherwise. It's only relevant to those who stick in the mod chip as nowadays only mod chip you can get is for M2... also people like the white shell over the grey one...

so now you know...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So how many different versions are there of the white one, and how much do they run? Is that one of the cheaper ones? Because I really would like to have one of those sitting next to my Dreamcast. But ever since I got Vatlva and found out that some of the JPN Saturn models come with the MPEG decoder card, I'm thinking that I might like to just get one of those systems instead, so I can enjoy all the extra features in the MPEG compatible games. The only one that I have right now is Vatlva, but I might get some more.

You really should start a webpage outlining all the JPN Saturn systems and their differences, if there isn't one out there somewhere already. It sounds like you know alot more about them than most people do, and I know you have quite a few import consoles. How many different versions of different import consoles do you have? I know you have a Hello Kitty Dreamcast! HEHE

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

In fact I do have pink Hello Kitty DC box set sealed and stored away for my daughter.. When she's old enough I will give it to her as a b/day present...

anyway I've had numerous consoles - having lived in Japan and mom's family in Japan thing's easier for me to get my hand on some of JPN stuff... the prized console in my collection would be pre-launch Saturn prototype console my relative somehow obtained not so long ago... it's basically grey Saturn with no marking but internal is more like Sophia Dev board than retail Saturn board...

then I have Sonic Saturn and Skeleton and about 4 White and 5 Grey although I've sold most of them except Sonic and Skeleton...

For game play however I use PAL Saturn that has been modified with country as well as 50/60 Hz switches...

For VCD card you can actually get it separately.
    I have had about 6 cards at one point before sold all of them except one for my collection...

Then there are Dev Saturn setups... for some crazy reasons that I forgot now I have two CartDev Rev.B system - one is complete minus optional Mirage VCD unit... guess I was contemplating to develop a game on Saturn at some point... not!

Other consoles are DC - with R7, Overclocked, and generic JPN and PAL - and MegaDrive - Sega Wondermega - not to mention 5 PS inc. DTL-H2100 DebugStation and 1000/5500/7000/9001. And then current gen consoles - Halo Xbox, PS2 Test, modified GC Platinum...

funny you ask... missus does web design and I could ask her to help me out, but it will be side hobby... so it's no priority and I really have no time to maintain the web page...

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a Sonic Saturn? What does that one look like? I bet it's expensive!

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

there you go...

and I forgot to mention PC Engine which I was heavily involved till recently...
    nowadays I'm more interested in current gen taking back seat from Saturn PS and PCE collections...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, now that just might be the one I get! Are they hideously expensive?

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

anywhere between $350-450 would be the safe bet I'm afraid...
    believe it or not it was Toys R Us exclusive and very limited in numbers - probably more rare than Derby Saturn...

I saw it listed twice on eBay and only once on Yahoo Japan...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yikes! Well there's one on ebay that I'm watching right now, just for fun. I can't afford to bid on it this time, but I do wanna see how much it goes for.

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

last time I put one of mine it went over $200 although didn't meet the reserve.
    later I sold it to a private buyer. The above is the better one of two and stay in my collection.