Thread: Odd Xbox question for owners

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Odd Xbox question for owners

What does a prperly working Xbox do, when you put in a DVD, BUT it does not have the DVD upgrade kit (remote) installed?

What does the screen say? Does it give you the unrecognized disc box?

I'm fixing an Xbox that would not read ANY discs. (I don't own one..this is a shops rental unit, and I'm their "repair guy") I've got it to the point that it plays the game they gave me every time it's loaded, and it loads 9 out of 10 of my music CD's perfectly on first insert. I don't think the game they gave me to test with is a DVD ROM format game (Arctic something.. sno mobile game), so I want to test it's DVD laser too. I put in one of my DVD movies, but I get the 'can't recognize disc' message.

Is that because it's still not working right, or is it because it lacks the DVD 'upgrade'.

Thanks in advance for an answer.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All Xbox games are in the DVD format, so if the game works then all games should work. However, if you put a movie in without the DVD upgrade attached, then you get a message that says something to the effect of "You need the DVD upgrade in order to watch movies. Please remove the DVD disc" or something similar. It does not say Uncrecognized disc, so there may be something wrong with it still. It could also be a scratch on the DVD movie disc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, thank you much!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

ok real quick question. I swear i was reading somewhere that you should not buy a used X-box...but i cannot remember the reasoning on it. Something about microsoft not supporting something then or...sheesh i don't know. Anyone know what that was. Is it a bad idea?
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Buying a used Xbox...

What I'd be asking about at the place where you want to buy the Xbox is the Extended Service Agreement. Usually I don't go in for these things, mostly because I take good care of my shit and it doesn't break. But the Xbox's problems are legend.

So if you're buying used at EB and can get a one year ESA (or longer), by all means buy with confidence because you can bring it back WHEN it breaks and get another free of charge. If you're buying used from a pawn shop or whatever, might I suggest simply setting your cash on fire? It will be put to more entertaining use that way.
    Chris Kohler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Havent seen that many xbox problems.

Tons of PS2's die constantly though.

Havent seen much problems with gamecubes either.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the skinny as I know it. PS2's have a problem with first gen systems dying because up until recently DVD systems that played CDs used two different laser pickups. The PS2 was the first of Sony's devices to use one laser for both pickups, and naturally with any first, the pickup was prone to fault. Nowadays the laser works fine, and if your PS2 is having trouble reading certain games or only DVDs or only CDs than you can take it to any CD/DVD repairman and it should be a quick fix. later model PS2 systems don't have this problem. It is common simply because there are so many PS2 systems around.

Xbox systems have similar problems, but other problems as well. later model Xboxes don't have this problem as much, but if you're buying a used Xbox, expect problems with it. Microsoft has been rather forgiving in its repair policy, but I wouldn't expect them to fix any problems automatically. Your best bet: Don't call them and ask for it to be fixed for free. Play the innocent, and offer up weird inexplicable problems like "only certain games cause it to freeze" and "game X works but game Y doesn't. I bought a new game Y and it still doesn't work. Is it true that the xbox has problems with certain games?"

Gamecube Systems had a small batch of systems that went bad. this leads to the system acting as if there is not disc in the tray at all. Every system that had this problem is nearing the end of its warranty (but not all systems manufactured at this time have the problem). if you have this problem at all (and not other problems like "disc could not be read" or "an error has occured), then take it in to a service center.

also keep in mind that none of this information is official or confirmed, this is just how I hear it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chazbeenhad's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had 5 xboxs come through my hands and only one had trouble.

And if this matters, the one that occasionaly told me it needed service was a launch system, that I had to knock 2 people over to grab it off the floor at Toys r US.

My two have worked great for a year now. The two that went to my brother also have no troubles. It was only that 1st one I purchased at launch that was touchy. (personaly think it was heat because it only started acting funny after hours of use)

I'm into modding the xbox and buring homebrew/emaulator stuff on DVD-R. It's a fact that the Thompson drive in the Xbox is a piece of crap. It seems reliable enough, but the laser adjustments seem different on alot of xboxs.

I even use one of my Xboxs to host a dedicated Unreal Champ. server on XBconnect. ( www.xbconnect.com ) I'll leave it runnig all day with no troubles.

Charlie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got it fixed, and charged 'em $40CDN. They will no doubt charge their customer a bit more. When I got it, it would not recognize any discs. Inside, the laser was coated with slimy schmootz. My guess is one of those lens cleaner discs did the final schmootzing, and they no doubt had troubles before that.

I cleaned the laser pickup with a mix of pure distilled water and denatured alcohol and then a lens cloth and compressed air. ( it took 4 tries!) All VERY gently.

I also resurfaced (gentle sanding) the top clamp spindle, as sometimes it can't grip the disc tightly enough, and the disc won't spin at the exact right speed.

I called it done when it recognized the dumb game they gave me 10 out of ten tries, 17 out of 20 music CD's first try (the other 3 worked after cleaning the disc), and 9 out of 10 DVD's. Overall I'd say it's still a bit fussy about it's discs, but it works. I'll buy it if the customer isn't happy.