Thread: ? sega CD as a game doctor device for genesis ?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ? sega CD as a game doctor device for genesis ?

i was thinking the other day that i never seen a game doctor type device for the genesis.

a game doctor is a floppy disk drive made by bung for the super famicom/SNES and i think the N64 had one too. the main function being that you could take a game ROM from the web and then copy to a disk and then play that over your SFC hardware. you could also copy carts, saves and other such tricks but i'm just thinking of loading games.

with that concept in mind would it be possible with right know-how to burn a CD with genesis roms on your computer and then play them on actual gen. hardware via the sega CD? anybody have any thoughts?

sorry if this has already been done or dismissed, its too obscure a notion to google up. i think it could be a really cool cheap way to check out some of the more exotic genesis games.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

http://www.robohara.com/videogames/c...p?file=genesis

Check out those pix from my collection.

The first one is a Multi Game Hunter. It's similar to the Game Doctor, but the "multi" means it works on both the SNES and the Sega Genesis.

The second on is a flash card from Tototek. It holds about 70 Genesis ROMs and has its own menu system. It also supports 32x games.

I'm still updated the console copier section of my page, but at the moment I have 3 SNES copiers, 2 copiers that do both SNES and Genesis, 1 Genesis (the flash card), and 3 N64 ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It occurred to me a while back that it might be possible to take the 6-in-1 Genesis Classics CD that was released for the Sega CD and replace the existing game data with entirely different Genesis ROMs. (People hacked up the Genesis emulator in the Dreamcast Smash Pack in a similar way, did they not?)

More copier pictures at http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/ucon64/hardware.html .
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    It occurred to me a while back that it might be possible to take the 6-in-1 Genesis Classics CD that was released for the Sega CD and replace the existing game data with entirely different Genesis ROMs. (People hacked up the Genesis emulator in the Dreamcast Smash Pack in a similar way, did they not?)
    Nope, no way can't be done. The 6 in 1 CD's were entirely re-written for the sega cd. They are not emulated in any way. They are streamed off the cd.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

answering own question, asking another...

of course i was able to google up a little something on the topic after the 1st post and found out about whats discussed above, the streaming and so on. it goes a bit above my understanding but i get the jist of it about how the data would be accessed and so on. maybe if there was someway to take the data off the CD and then dump it on the sega CD mem cart and then sort it right...anyways

then i found this page

http://www.retrodev.com/transfer.html

could this cable and software be used to do essentially the same thing thru a PC onto the sega hardware and onto the TV? i'm a bit confused but curious, anybody?
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON