Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default You just never can tell...

I've always been a huge Atari 5200 guy and I decided this Christmas to finally take the plunge and get the competing systems from that time. What I wanted most was a ColecoVision, followed by a Vectrex and a Atari 2600 (my family had one but I didn't get it so I bought a 5200 back then). I always knew the Vectrex was a good system, I saw it alot in the early 80's when I got my 5200 and just when I was saving up to buy one they disappeared (you have to remember the crash of the early 80's didn't seem like one at the time). So I bought the systems from Ebay and waited. While I was waiting an item was posted that contained 200 games, around 150 of them were for the 2600 and the rest were for the Intellivision, and it came with 2 Intellivision systems. So while I never wanted an Intellivision in my life, and was not impressed with Intellivision Lives! I bought it just to get the Atari 2600 games. So I received my systems and have been having a blast. The Vectrex is GREAT, anyone who doesn't have one is really missing out. The Atari 2600 is a classic, nobody is a real collector without having this system. And while alot of the games haven't aged well, alot still hold up great. Then comes the surprise, I really like the Intellivision. I find myself playing that 3x as much as the ColecoVision. I don't know why but it seems to have alot of unique games not found elsewhere. I'm totally shocked by how much I like this system that I NEVER wanted at all. In fact the system I wanted the most (ColecoVision) is the system I'm playing the least. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine system, but I'm really digging the Vectrex and Intellivision, while reliving the great old times with the 2600 and 5200. I'm just completely shocked at how much I like the Intellivision, a system I always thought sucked.

Just goes to show, you never know....

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never had any desire to play the Intellivision , until I scored an Intellivision 2 with a bunch of games. The games are challanging, and many have a lot of depth.
    VECTREX RULES!!!!!!
    Support Medical Marijuana

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally got around to opening my NIB ColecoVision Roller Controller that I bought because I read a review that the ColecoVision version of Centipede was better than the Atari 5200 version. I couldn't understand how it could be better because I always thought the 5200 was almost arcade perfect. Well the answer is easy, it isn't better. Not that the ColecoVision version is bad, it isn't. But I find the graphics better on the 5200, and the control is MUCH better on the 5200. I wondered how they got an anolog control (Roller Controller) to replace a digital control (ColecoVision Joystick). Not very well.

But the way the Roller Controller holds the 2 ColecoVision joysticks is kind of cool. Too bad they didn't have any 2 joystick games (at least that I know of) like Robotron and Space Dungeon....

Back to playing Intellivision...

Insert Coin (Level 0) jetset516's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rxd
    I finally got around to opening my NIB ColecoVision Roller Controller that I bought because I read a review that the ColecoVision version of Centipede was better than the Atari 5200 version. I couldn't understand how it could be better because I always thought the 5200 was almost arcade perfect. Well the answer is easy, it isn't better. Not that the ColecoVision version is bad, it isn't. But I find the graphics better on the 5200, and the control is MUCH better on the 5200. I wondered how they got an anolog control (Roller Controller) to replace a digital control (ColecoVision Joystick). Not very well.

But the way the Roller Controller holds the 2 ColecoVision joysticks is kind of cool. Too bad they didn't have any 2 joystick games (at least that I know of) like Robotron and Space Dungeon....

Back to playing Intellivision...
    Not to doubt you, but I'd be interested where you read that the CV Centipede with the roller controller is better than the 5200 with the trackball. That's gotta be a CV fanboy site. If you read it back in the day (80's) then it makes sense. The CV was all the rage in the gaming mags, but the CV arcade titles never stacked up (IMO) to the 5200 titles (except for Galaxian). The roller controller does have it's plus side though, by being able to use the joysticks with the roller controllers fire buttons you have better control than with the joysticks alone.