Thread: Strider II - PlayStation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Strider II - PlayStation

Strider II (With Strider I bonus disc) - PlayStation.

This game is apparently rare. So I bought it. PAL version and Factory sealed. Naturally.

Except - I have never even heard of it, and have never seen it before...

I did an eBay search, but all I could find was a few American ones, and only one other PAL version (Pre-owned)

Anyone know just how rare this game is? Is the PAL version rarer, and would a factory sealed version be extremely rare?

It has five languages on the back - Which is unusual for Capcom, as they often do North and South variations of their games. Most the old Capcom games I buy now tend to have been brought back from Italy or Spain - Hence their sealed condition...

The game I bought has a 2000 date on it, so it was obviously released then, but did it actually have a Uk release? Was it only released on the continent? (Hence why I have probably never heard of it before)

Could this increase in value over the years? Should I keep it in it's perfect condition? It could one day become ultra rare like Suikoden!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Strider II - PlayStation

Recently bought the Japanese version myself, have yet for it to arrive though. Yeah, I think the domestic versions are definitely rare. I think I've seen print run numbers for the U.S. version, but can't confirm that.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I paid $15 for the US version. Worth every penny.

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strider 2 was a Japanese Arcade release only, until they brought it over to the US, via a PS1 port.

Interestingly enough, the American version (at least the one I have) had a pressing mistake:

The "Strider" disc actually contains the "Strider 2" game and the "Strider 2" disc contains the original arcade "Strider" game.

Strange, isn't it?

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

great game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very good game but the US one is common
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by GunPanther
    Interestingly enough, the American version (at least the one I have) had a pressing mistake:

The "Strider" disc actually contains the "Strider 2" game and the "Strider 2" disc contains the original arcade "Strider" game.

Strange, isn't it?
    Not really. Capcom accidently flipped the labels when they produced the game. All of the copies released in the US have this error that made me open my PS when I first got the game and go
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought it the first day it came out. I haven't seen a copy of that in the wild in 2 years. I'm keeping that shit til the day I die.

Ironic it's a no brainer. Has unlimited continues and even a not so skilled gamer could beat it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am surprised games are allowed to still be sold even though they knowingly made a mistake. Unless they recalled a lot of them - Hence why it's considered rare...

It's like those new Ford GT40's which have just been recalled because of a fault - Now how many of those 111 people who actually have one are going to send it back? All of them? Or will a few hold on to it as it is in the hope that the defect (Something to do with suspension) will make it rarer in the future?

Chances are half of those cars will only be stored away in a garage and never ever used, so what does it matter if the suspension is a bit naffed up? The only people likely to send it back will be the people who are actually intending to drive it...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

t's like those new Ford GT40's which have just been recalled because of a fault - Now how many of those 111 people who actually have one are going to send it back? All of them? Or will a few hold on to it as it is in the hope that the defect (Something to do with suspension) will make it rarer in the future?

Chances are half of those cars will only be stored away in a garage and never ever used, so what does it matter if the suspension is a bit naffed up? The only people likely to send it back will be the people who are actually intending to drive it...
    Uh, I'm not familiar with the exact problem with these cars, but anything that compromises the drivability is NOT going to make it "rare" or "more valuable". I would hope that every owner is smart enough to take it back or at least get somebody to fix it, depending on serious the problem actually is. All it is a potentially unsafe car, not a valuable rarity. What a strange comparison to make.
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The point I was trying to make was - If you have a game with a misprint, and they recall it, anyone who doesn't send their one back will then have a rarer version of it...

Just look at records - One's with mis-prints or such errors like that are considered rarer, thus worth more.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    The point I was trying to make was - If you have a game with a misprint, and they recall it, anyone who doesn't send their one back will then have a rarer version of it...

Just look at records - One's with mis-prints or such errors like that are considered rarer, thus worth more.
    Yes, case in point the new Holiday PS2 demo that had Viewtiful Joe2 on it that wipes your memory card accidently. Yes its rarer, but not something that one will play especially since it nukes your memory cards.
    However Capcom never recalled this game, which only had one production run, to fix a simple error with the labels. Now if it made the game unplayable then thats a different story, but this didnt, and all of them are this way (in the US at least) so it doesnt affect its value at all.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog