Thread: New In Box 2600 & 7800 Games; what are the odds these da

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New In Box 2600 & 7800 Games; what are the odds these da

I was out checking a few stores today and picked up somethings I have not seen for around 15 years or so. New in Box copies of Commando, Spider-Droid and Tank Command (7800). Shrinkwrapped and ready to go. I tell ya, I'm flabbergasted. I have not seen a NIB 2600/7800 game(Ok except for the rarity 1's) in a long time. Couple these with loose copies or River Raid (Blue) River Raid II, Piece O Cake, Fight Night and a bunch of free manuals and you can call me a happy camper.

Do many of you stilll find NIB games on a regular basis? This was a first for me.
    - I don't really like my friends. Yeah, I don't really like your friends either. -
    Lee Harvey Oswald was not a male model... You're god damn right he wasn't, but those two lookers who capped Kennedy from the grassy knoll sure as shit were.-

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

7800 NIB is easy to find these days, there was one person on Ebay selling lots of 7800 games brand new, not too long ago. Mainly Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Galaga, Xevious, etc.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those titles in particular are deifinitely not common occurances new. Tank Command was going in the $60-$70 range new for a while though I don't know where it is now. Basically, any of the games (about 30 7800 titles) that weren't being sold by O'Shea aren't all that common new.

-Mike

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts
    7800 NIB is easy to find these days, there was one person on Ebay selling lots of 7800 games brand new, not too long ago. Mainly Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Galaga, Xevious, etc.
    yeah, one of our stores got a stack of them traded in once. i think thats where the guy got them all.
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

'NEW' is pretty tough to find. However, just like 8 track tapes from days of yore, we'll probably be seeing some NEW stuff recirculating for the years to come. In 10 years it will probably be quite rare. Who knows- stuff does recirculate.

I would estimate that more than half of the video games I buy through resale venues have been owned by more than one person.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen new on Ebay, but rarely do I find NIB 2600/7800 games in the wild. It was a very surprising and very cool feeling at the same time.
    - I don't really like my friends. Yeah, I don't really like your friends either. -
    Lee Harvey Oswald was not a male model... You're god damn right he wasn't, but those two lookers who capped Kennedy from the grassy knoll sure as shit were.-

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great finds! I know one local store that has a bunch of NIB Atari games but otherwise I've only stumbled across them once or twice in the past.

Froggo games, being notoriously bad, are actually more commonly found sealed than loose. The same seems to go for late release 2600 Activision games like Commando. Even though many of them are good games, the system was old and not many people were still buying games for it. Neither of these factors make them common finds of course, I'm just saying that the ratio of NIB to loose that you may find is much less than for other games.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was this place i was at uyp in New Hampshire one year and i asked the guy if he had any complete NES games and he saidAnything that old we keep for early retirement.
    He pulled out a stack of various Atari and NES games all sealed.
    The guy was a dick* though so i think they were all uber common or they sealed them in the store.

* He told me that Earthworm Jim on N64 was really rare and the company that made it went out of buisness. Rockstar for those who don't know.

The only Atari game i remember was Double Dragon. Which i was told is worth "A TON OF MONEY!"

Is it?
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by izret101
    There was this place i was at uyp in New Hampshire one year and i asked the guy if he had any complete NES games and he saidAnything that old we keep for early retirement.
    The guy was a dick* though so i think they were all uber common or they sealed them in the store.

* He told me that Earthworm Jim on N64 was really rare and the company that made it went out of buisness. Rockstar for those who don't know.

The only Atari game i remember was Double Dragon. Which i was told is worth "A TON OF MONEY!"

Is it?
    Would that happen to be Video Game Exchange in Plaistow? That was the store I was referring to. I bought one of his sealed Double Dragons for $20, a decent price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The only boxed 2600 games I've run across in the past 5 or so years were copies of Activision's Dolphin. I walked into a 2nd hand software place a few years ago (which incidently was named Second Hand Software) and caught a glimpse of that lavender-colored Atari box. Closer inspection turned up another one ... and another one ... and after digging, I found two cases of Dolphin, shrink wrapped, a buck a game. Now that I count the days this was almost 10 years ago. I think I bought one, can't remember for sure. I mean, it's Dolphin.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Quote Originally Posted by izret101

Is it?
    Would that happen to be Video Game Exchange in Plaistow? That was the store I was referring to. I bought one of his sealed Double Dragons for $20, a decent price.
    Hahahaha yes yes it would be. I was direct to them from a guy who worked at GameStop.
    I ended up going next store to the pawn shop and grabbing a NES game and some DC games.
    I guess when you are the only specialty store around you can charge astronomical prices.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just realized one of 2 things is true and the 2nd i just recently thought of.
    Either you have been to that store before or you work there.

I really hope you don't work there.
    And if you do work their i hope you arn't the guy i met who acted like a dick.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I don't work there. I've just been a few times, and I've even had some good deals.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wheew That was close.

I know my bro got a few PS2 games at a decent price. It was sad when i saw a shelf full of SMS games and all that was in there were sports and crap titles and they where all priced at 7 bucks each.
    That and the 50ish dollar pong clone. I just wasn't impressed with the place at all.

Glad to hearyou got some stuff out of there at a decent price though.