Thread: Know anyone who never had a videogame system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Know anyone who never had a videogame system?

Just curious if anyone else knows someone like me. My best friend whom I've know for about 13 years now, never had a game console untill I gave him a Genesis with a bunch of games for his 21st birthday.

There's nothing wrong with it (he's a kick ass artist now, probably because he never had games to distract him like me), but it just always seemed a little strange to me for someone in my age group to never have a system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

grandfather

never owned one

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know a family of Pentecostals, who refuse to play video games, calling them an act against God and satanic. They are a young family, won't let their children go near anything. (The kids are 7 and 8 years old) Calling them demonic and demeaning...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know a 15 year old girl who never had any videogames until DS.
    She had played them but her parents would not alow them in their house.

2(out of 7; REALLY long story) of my grandparents(they live together) never to my owned a videogame system. At least as far as i know.
    For quite some time my great uncle who lives with my grandmother and grandfather had a SNES then he got rid of that and got a PS. He got rid of that a few years ago and only plays PC games now.

Everyone else i know has one or has had one before.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Not to kick this off topic deliberately, but they sound like the same parents who will be extremely put off by their children's upcoming rebellion in their teenage years. Yikes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i agree w/ them, Sonic is totally demeaning. He brought down the price of gold! he ate all the gold rings! and gees.....mario totally demaning the way he jumps on helpless creatures......nothing against people who are religious....but this is exactly why religion is dying there "morals and values" so they call it are rediculous and the fact that people walk around preaching in public to people about there beliefs.....ask any waitress why they do w/ the christ cards that people leave on the table w/ no tip after the guest leave! we went to a church once and got a whole bunch of those saying cards w/ the little footprints in the sand and light blue sky crap.....and left them on a few tables but them tipped the girl w/ our credit cards so shed get furious. anyways, the same guy i went to eat w/ and left bible business cards w/ is the same guy who up until he turned 21 only had a pocket version of poker he got from radio shack in like 5th grade, it wasnt b/c of religon crap or anything his parents were just always broke! now hes got a ps2 his grandparents got it for him when he was 21.
    Systems:Nintendo,SNES,SEGA Genesis,PS 1,PS 2,Sega Saturn ,PS1 Mini,w/Monitor,Gamecube, Dreamcast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a friend who never owned any videogame system. His brother plays PC games, but that is the extent of it. I also have another friend who never had any interest in playing videogames.

As for girls, there are a ton of them that I know who don't own videogame consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

None of my eight nephews and nieces have videogames. The five s (all 8 and under) don't care. The one-year old boy isn't aware of them yet. And the 10 and 8 year old boys (both live out of town) play at my house whenever they can.
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My cousins never had a game system because their parents couldn't afford it. I gave them a N64 to play with and last year for their birthday (both were born on the same day 2 years apart) I gave them a gamecube and games. Also I gave them an extra controller so they wouldn't fight over it.
    It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about, nowadays, saying things against one behind one's back that are absolutely and entirely true.
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't know a single person that has never own a console at some point in their life. I of my friends however, hates video games (at least vintage ones). He plays PS2, but he can't accept that I love NES and don't play my PS2 or Gamecube.
    On the topic of the religious family...I guess I can see them saying that games like GTA and Manhunt are "demonic" or whatever. , but saying that all video games are works of the devil is seriously crazy talk. I bet if someone showed them games that were made for kids (Mario,Sonic) they might come around, and realize that they are depriving their kids of some great fun.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my honest opinion, I think the parents are doing that on purpose, to put the fear of God into them, so they won't even have to spend any money on their kids. Yet, the mother is a professional nurse now, so it's not like she's hurting for money. I don't know what it is that makes them say or think this way, but it's downright silly.

Off topic, but related to this scenario, there was one family I knew, that wouldn't let their daughters buy or play with Barbie dolls...I asked the guy why, he honestly told me "Because we just don't" and left it as that. We all knew he was a member of Jehovah church right across the street.

According to the neighborhood, that family was claimed to be a nut job and never to be trusted...
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the old people in my family. That's why they don't understand my fascination with the hobby.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, and he's a miserable person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mostly older co-workers. No one in my peer group age-wise that I can think of.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my best friends, 16 years old AND HAS NEVER owned a system in his life..not even current gen ones...sure he comes over my house and plays the Xbox, but never gets up buy himself one. Aint like he's poor, me and him both work,and hes better at saving money then me which means hes richer than I am...I dunno whats his problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my old neighbors never had any game systems. they also never got a television. they were extremely religious.

i never talked to them much, but they were extremely good people. hell, the water bed i still use to this day i got from them for free (the waterbed in my room of doom pics).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of my co-workers do not own any game systems.

It was actually at a birthday party at my grandma's where I played my first videogame Grandma had a 2600 with about 25 games, and I played River Raid and Pitfall there

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

There was a guy I knew back in high school whose family didn't even own a TV when he was 17. I joked with him "Dude, haven't you played Pac-Man before?"

He looked at me and he actually said something along the lines of "No, and I don't care. People who play those need lives."

He was an ass anyway, I refused to talk to him after that.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i can't say i know anyone, ive only known people who limited there kids playing time to almost nothing
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com