Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Splurging on NEW non-mainstream titles

OUCH.

or is it really more like YUMMY.

Yesterday I bought $80 worth in current-gen video games. What did this purchase consist of? A mere THREE video games. Usually such an amount would yield at least 20-30 hard to find classic games. But I'd been itching for some quirky old school gameplay on my current-gen systems (I love you Katamari). Thus, I took a leap of faith and went out on a limb to totally splurge on these three YUMMY games:

Alien Hominid (Gamecube)
    Gradius V (PS2)
    Dog's Life (PS2)

This was really totally unlike me. I mean EIGHTY DOLLARS!?? That really hurts. My rule is to buy current-gen games at pawn shops for $10. But when you think about it, these games will probably hold their value down the line as most well-made non-mainstream titles do. Does it matter that much to me that they do? Not really. These games will stay in my library forever. But it is a nice consolation to be able to have equity in your games if the situation ever presents itself.

I'd like to hear about some of the quirky and even not-so-quirky games that you felt obligated to purchase new, especially if that's not how you usually operate (i.e. hitting the pawns like me). Were they YUMMY? Or did you get a "stomach-ache" in the end?
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I can safely assure you that Alien Hominid is WORTH IT.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also got Alien Hominid, it was definately worth the wait and the money. Ive got some other out of the way stuff that ive enjoyed lately. I got Ikaruga for Gamecube, its a shmup thats all that mattered to me, but that game is addictive and hard as hell. Hard because you got to memorize certain things in a stage in order to get a really good Ranking. Best ranking thus far has been a B and thats only with 32 combos . Freaking Addictive. There are some other out of the way stuff that people some what disliked i bought, Eterna Darkness for GC, Wetrix and Tetrisphere for N64. I like to get game that are under the radar or a lot of people said were crap.
    In the free/libre software
    movement, we develop
    software that respects users'
    freedom, so we can and you can
    escape from software that
    doesn't --Richard Stallman

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

People forget that with inflation factored in games are cheaper now new then 20 years ago. I buy new games at $50 all the time. But I also buy games used or cheap. It just really depends how much I want the game and if I think it's worth paying full price. I pay full price a lot cause I think the game is worth it and I often end up selling them and recouping most of my money after anyway. Now if I was a collector that would be a different story but I'm a gamer and the selling of many of my games each year allows me to buy many full price.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion