Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Hearts GBA I just don't quite get it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default Kingdom Hearts GBA I just don't quite get it.

Greetings Programs.

The games me and my kids got for Xmas are providing endless entertainment. Please don't tell anybody but I just beat the elite four in my pokemon fire red and completed the quest to be able to trade with my daughters pokemon Sapphire. Not to mention trading with my son back and forth with his leaf green.

But my daughter also wanted Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories just because it had Disney characters in it. She is going to be 8, and told me the game is too hard. So I decide to get her started.

I have never really played a final fantasy game other than FFVII for a few days but the story in the intro was easy enough to follow. But there was all this instructions and confusing dialog and when I finally got to a point where it let me save it showd I had been at it for almost 50 minutes. No wonder my daughter can't get it started.

I don't get the part about the cards though. The jumping and dodging is normal but the attacks are tied with the card ready to be used. I can't tell if I'm supposed to switch to a different card before attacking and how are you supposed to do that with several ememies on the screen attacking and moving. Not to mention stacking 3 cards to use a special attack.

There have been a few games over the last 20 years that I really wanted to play but couldnt because I didn't quite get them. Mystaria and Langrisser and even ogre battle I can understand having trouble with tactical sims. But this Kingdom Hearts seems more of a kids game so I should be able to get it right ?

end of line
    VJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Kingdom Hearts GBA I just don't quite get it.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcanjedi
    But this Kingdom Hearts seems more of a kids game so I should be able to get it right ?
    KH may have disney licences, but it is very much not a game for young kids. I haven't played the GBA one, but the PS2 game had battles that had me, a action / RPG vet, stuck for a long time (damn you Ursula!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Kingdom Hearts GBA I just don't quite get it.

But this Kingdom Hearts seems more of a kids game so I should be able to get it right ?
    Th Disney characters are really the only thing that you might consider to be close to kiddy. That's it, definately NOT a kids game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Unless they are good at RPGs this definately isn't a "kiddy game". Which reminds me, I need to get this as soon as I have some extra cash.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Quote Originally Posted by studvicious
    Unless they are good at RPGs this definately isn't a "kiddy game". Which reminds me, I need to get this as soon as I have some extra cash.
    Ok

One of their favorite games right now is Magic Pengel on the PS2. Besides the pokemon GBA games.

In terms of RPG's kingdom hearts seems to be more action. I was never good at RPG's like Secret of Mana or Chrono trigger on the SNES but I had no trouble with Zelda link to the past.

I wonder if it is something they may enjoy "discovering" in a few years which would make it worth holding on to. At $35 it has been the most expensive GBA game I have bought to date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, i'm 23 and I find the game hard!

I have no idea what is going on, and I am pretty sure i'm half way through the game already - And i'm still clueless!

I'm just blagging my way through really.

It's this card based system i'm not used to. Seems pointless. And half the battles go on far too long... Have you tried to fight the two huge bad guys who always seem to appear in Aghrabah? They do my head in simply cos they take ages to kill!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

In terms of RPG's kingdom hearts seems to be more action. I was never good at RPG's like Secret of Mana or Chrono trigger on the SNES but I had no trouble with Zelda link to the past.
    you're right, the KH series definately leans more towards the action/RPG side

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I'm still playing Chain of Memories and love it as much as the original PS2 game. Even with the cards, it plays a lot like the PS2 one.

But to echo what others have said, it's a hard game. Don't let the Disney name fool with you -- I doubt anyone younger then 14 can handle this game.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've finished both games in KH:COM and yeah, it ain't easy but it's also not hard, it just takes a lil wee time to get used to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Don't let the Disney name fool with you -- I doubt anyone younger then 14 can handle this game.
    YEP!

I am new to the KH series (First Kingdom Hearts that I have played, GBA version that is) and didn't think it would be this hard. I mainly got it because of the Disney Characters and or course square-enix making GREAT RPG's. I hate RPG's too, but like this one for sure!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I'd hang onto it. Your daughter may still play it, I wouldn't be surprised what kids are capable of if you leave them alone.

Most RPGs made today tend to have a learning curve, so if you beat the first section of the game for her you may actually be making it harder for her to learn to play the game.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    I'd hang onto it. Your daughter may still play it, I wouldn't be surprised what kids are capable of if you leave them alone.

Most RPGs made today tend to have a learning curve, so if you beat the first section of the game for her you may actually be making it harder for her to learn to play the game.
    She tells me "Santa wouldn't get me a game I couldn't play"

I'm just thinking about that beginning segment where it took so long just to get to the save point. And it was mostly story and explaining the card system. But It didn't stick in my head because I don't remember much. But maybe like somebody else mentioned it's not really that complicated anyway.

I'll let her play around with my save file a little. There are two so she can start her own. I'm sure she will get into it eventually. Right now she's enjoying the pokemon sapphire.

Thanks for everyone's input

VJ

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked this up on Boxing Day and I find it pretty good. I've only had a few minor gripes:

- After a few cycles of using your cards, you pretty much only get the Heal card and maybe a 1 and a 0 attack card which is very annoying and draws the battle out.

- I guess Square-Enix messed up with the print run in Canada so the game was pre-packaged with ONLY the French manual. *pukes* x_x

Other than that it's not too bad. I wish they'd have normal attacks and leave the magic/healing/summons to the card system.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

You DO know you can shuffle the cards back into your deck when you've used all of them, right?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe he used sleighs, everytime you stock 3 cards for the automatic combo, the first card gets burned, and can't be brought back without using teh hi-potion (the vase with 2 stars and on). Also, the shiny premier cards, get burned also, even if you don't use them on a sleight.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    You DO know you can shuffle the cards back into your deck when you've used all of them, right?
    Yeah,

Thats when you hold the attack button until they all shuffle back into your hand.

The slights seem to be worthless as I can never fire them off at an enemy and just seem to waste one of the cards. So I haven't used them.

VJ

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

kingdom hearts has a kiddy appearance, but the gameplay is deep. the game takes time to get used to and is a big challenge. once you get over the tough learning curve, it's lots of fun. i'm pretty far myself. i'm about level 26, i think.
    I can't beat halloween town's boss.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would be better if you stated the floor, not your level, it ain't relative the floor to the level.

Also, remember, you can't have enough 0's.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I've spending a lot of time running around picking up Moogle points so I can buy good cards from the Moogle Shops to boost my deck.

And yeah, you're further in the game then I am. I'm just entering Halloween Town myself.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can enter hallowen town as floor number two... You can't say farther or further when you select wich world is next :S