Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been playing Willow, got me thinkin'... (movie games)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Been playing Willow, got me thinkin'... (movie games)

I recently got a wild hair to download Capcom's Willow arcade rom for MAME, as I played it a lot when I was younger. Well, it's better than I remember. Anyone who's into late '80s Capcom's coin-op titles like Strider and Ghouls 'N' Ghosts should be required by law to play this if they haven't already. It's fantastic. It's literally a hybrid of the aforementioned games, done in a very colorful and fun style (you can even slide like in Strider!).

Since this game was based on a movie, it got me thinking...I haven't played a licensed game since about 1997. They just got so gawdawful in the 16-bit era that I couldn't hardly be bothered with them anymore. But so many of them used to be great! I liked both the SMS and NES versions of Rambo (give the NES version an honest try if you're hesitant; you may be shocked at how thoughtful the developers actually were with it--it plays like Zelda II), and Konami's tributes to the Goonies are among the best games developed for the NES period (who would have thought that Cindy Lauper tune would have sounded so great in those games?) And the NES version of Willow itself is a classic; totally different from the coin-op version, of course, but a wonderful game through and through (the twin towers area is one of the coolest things you'll ever see on the NES). I also dug Die Hard Trilogy for the PSone.

But for the most part I avoid games based on movies like the plague; I don't wonder why, either. Everybody knows they're rushed, etc. However, I was wondering what you guys's thoughts were on this topic, and maybe if you can recall some modern games bearing licenses that are worth checking out. There's got to be some diamonds in the rough somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like Willow (Arcade) as well. It's a great looking and playing game and a ton of fun.

I used to like the Arcade version of Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, which was pretty advanced for it's time.

The one big disappointment for me was that Ghostbusters never got a decent home or arcade version IMO. The Real Ghostbusters arcade machine sucked as did the Genny version of Ghostbusters.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by stargate
    The one big disappointment for me was that Ghostbusters never got a decent home or arcade version IMO. The Real Ghostbusters arcade machine sucked as did the Genny version of Ghostbusters.
    Have you tried SMS Ghostbusters? It's pretty fun, in my opinion.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cloak & Dagger (arcade) was a game that I enjoyed. Especially due to the tie-ins with the movie. I know the movie sucked, but it was a neat when I was a kid. I also liked Ghostbusters for the A2600 and Atari 8bit. Since you liked Goonies, check out the home computer versions of the game (Atari 8bit, C64). It's completely different, but interesting.

I know that you were looking for modern movie games, and I hear that the Chronicles of Riddick game wasn't half-bad, if you want to check that out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

There was a PAL-only Ghostbusters II game for the NES that I've heard is of high quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I used to like the Arcade version of Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom, which was pretty advanced for it's time.
    I've never played the arcade version, but I've played Tengen's NES version, and I LOVE that game. People seem to loathe it but I think it's really interesting. The visual perspective doesn't work in real life, but it works in that game. Creepy music, too. Thanks for reminding me about it; I should check out the arcade version.

Since you liked Goonies, check out the home computer versions of the game (Atari 8bit, C64). It's completely different, but interesting.
    You know, I've played the C64 version of the Goonies, and I can't figure out how to pass the first screen...that one with the counterfeit-bill press...

Oh, and Cloak and Dagger is a great game, too. Which came first, the movie or the game? In the movie the kid's playing a home version; did that even exist?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to check out some of the above mentioned Ghostbusters titles.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    You know, I've played the C64 version of the Goonies, and I can't figure out how to pass the first screen...that one with the counterfeit-bill press...

Oh, and Cloak and Dagger is a great game, too. Which came first, the movie or the game? In the movie the kid's playing a home version; did that even exist?
    In each of the screens, you have to get Goonie characters past the obstacles to the bottom of the screen or whatever. With the counterfeit bill press, you have to set the press on so that it distracts the Fratelli's, and run past them through the fireplace.

As for Cloak and Dagger, KLOV says that the game, Agent X was remade into Cloak and Dagger. It was already in development as production of the movie began. I heard on Atariage that there was a partial prototype for the Atari 8bit, but that was about it. Someone else more knowledgeable might be able to comment on this further.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Willow is one of my favorite games for the NES, mainly because it is very similar to LOZ and Crystalis (my 2 favorites). I was playing it last year, and I got to level 16, and my dad was cleaning up and he threw away the piece of paper I had my passwords written down on. How is the arcade version different from the NES version?
    I think that in the mid to late 90's companies would try to get the game out very fast (in time for the movie), and they would rush the game. Thus making many movie based games pretty damn bad. I also think that Superman 64 set movie based games back about 10 years. . It made everyone think that all movie licensed games sucked, and many people still think that to this day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

How is the arcade version different from the NES version?
    The arcade version is a side scroller, that essentially controls just like Strider. There are 2 types of levels: ones in which you play as Willow and shoot projectiles just like Ghouls 'N' Ghosts/Ghosts 'N' Goblins, and ones in which you play Madmartigan, and use a sword just like Strider.

The game looks and sounds like a Capcom arcade game from that era; in fact, some of the voice samples are lifted right out of Trojan.

I don't know if it's better than the NES version, but it's a damn good game. Try it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't too keen on video game releases back then... but it seems like nowadays the game HAS to be out the same time as the movie (or even slightly before, like Incredibles) which wasn't the case back when.

Another contributing factor might be that video games are hyper popular now compared to back then, and licensed games are seen as a cheap way (low production values) to reach a large audience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW
    There was a PAL-only Ghostbusters II game for the NES that I've heard is of high quality.
    There was a port of that game to the B&W GB that was released in North America.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Blade Runner (pc) is the best license game I've ever played. Same concept as the movie but the stryline plays out differently enough to be a surprise. Really good idea for a point and click.

Willow (nes) I also remember being pretty fun.

And I'm still kinda pissed that the Labyrinth (nes) game was only released in Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Been playing Willow, got me thinkin'... (movie games)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    I liked both the SMS and NES versions of Rambo (give the NES version an honest try if you're hesitant; you may be shocked at how thoughtful the developers actually were with it--it plays like Zelda II),
    At least one of the SMS Rambo games (I believe it's Rambo: First Blood II) is simply a hack of a Japanese game without any Rambo license whatsoever.

Capcom's Gun.Smoke doesn't have a movie license, but rather is based (very, very loosely) on the classic T.V. show - now THAT is a game.

As for the Labyrinth game on NES...well, I never did figure how to get out of that starting area. Here's David Bowie and...oops, I'm being chased by fairies! What the crap?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Default Re: Been playing Willow, got me thinkin'... (movie games)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    As for the Labyrinth game on NES...well, I never did figure how to get out of that starting area. Here's David Bowie and...oops, I'm being chased by fairies! What the crap?
    You kinda run around in loops until Hoggle opens the door for you. Might be a timed sequance or you have to step on a hidden trigger. I'm not sure how it works. But it does.

It's probably not a very good game, but it's fun to see all the muppets drawn in 8-bit pixels. Plays like Gauntlet more then anything else. I dunno. I like it anyway.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for modern games, as mentioned above, The Chronicles of Riddick is a really fantastic game on its own right, much less a great licensed game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I like Willow too. I have always, and will sometime, try out Ghostbuters 1 and 2 for the NES.

I just watched Willow on DVD the other day with my girlfriend. I LOVE the movie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I must be the only sicko that liked Ghostbusters on the NES. The SMS version was far better, clearly, but I loved the NES version because it shows just how drunk the programmers at Activision were when developing that game. They didn't even try. OK, so I don't like it because it's a good game, but it's still pretty funny (and sad at the same time).

At least one of the SMS Rambo games (I believe it's Rambo: First Blood II) is simply a hack of a Japanese game without any Rambo license whatsoever.
    Secret Commando is the original title, I think. I think this may be why a lot of older licensed games are pretty good; they didn't start out as licensed games.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

There are still lots of crap movie licensed games out these days, but there are some good ones too. Are you talking about games based soley on the movie or are we talking about spin offs?

Regardless, I can't believe nobody mentioned GoldenEye yet!

I liked the SNES Star Wars games - they weren't anything special, but they were fun. Star Wars: Battlefront looks like it'd be fun (I've only played a demo so far). And I *loved* Knights of the Old Republic.

If you like Beat 'em Ups the two Lord of the Rings games (by EA, ROTK and TTT) are pretty good too. They integrated the actual movie into the game really well. I'm sure we could all go on forever about this stuff...
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    And I'm still kinda pissed that the Labyrinth (nes) game was only released in Japan.
    OMG. I need this game so badly. Any sites on the net selling it?