Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FACTORY SEALED Wrecking Crew

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qixmaster

Gray seals are only on Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr and Donkey Kong 3 (no other black box game), these seals are equavlant to the gold seals.

-Josh
    That's not correct... popeye and Mario Bros. also. Basically the entire 'arcade series'

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think this whole variants project is so insurmountable if we stick to US copies for now.. I think the release dates are the key..

for example, I would that most games released on or after March, 1989 would have only one variant (white seal). This is the majority of the releases for the system... I think before coming up with a detailed list, I think it would be useful to come up with general guidelines for what we would expect to occur.

The key question in my mind is whether or not hangtab boxes and non rev a non hangtab boxes are mutually exclusive. I.e. I have a hangtab box gradius, and a rev a non hangtab box gradius. Does a non hangtab/ non rev a gradius exist?

Or to take the same question on a slightly different tack, I have non rev a versions of kid icarus, mike tyson, ghosts n goblins, breakthru, slalom, and others. Do hangtab boxes exist for these games at all? Or was the first release for these games a non hangtab, non rev a? Entirely possible because most of the release dates on the games I just mentioned is 1987. It seems as though the hangtab boxes were being phased out during 1987, although used as late as Jan 88 or later.

Once that's figured out, we should be left with this as a summary:
    LICENSED games:

1) black boxes - one to five (?) variants depending on title

2) games released between black boxes and Jan 1988(?) - depending on results of above questions, probably two to three versions each of the less popular games, i.e.:
    a) hangtab box
    b) non hangtab, non rev a
    (are a and b mutually exclusive?)
    c) non hangtab, rev a
    and three to four versions of the more popular games, i.e.
    a) to c) plus
    d) white seal

--and possibly only one version of some games. Stadium events (sept 87)?

3) games released after Jan 1988 (?) but before March, 1989 - probably only two versions each, i.e.
    -black seal/ rev a
    -white seal versions
    (non rev a games for these dates don't exist as far as I'm aware[?])

4) March 1989 and after - probably only white seals.

5) games published by multiple manufacturers like Impossible Mission 2 (SEI vs AVE)

6) games published with more than one variety of box art (e.g.'s untouchables, tmnt 2 [pizza offer box], etc)

UNLICENSED - probably only one version of each with some exceptions such as:
    - cart color variations like action 52
    - color dreams language variants

and finally, games published in both licensed and unlicensed versions (rbi baseball, pacman, gauntlet).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2
    Or to take the same question on a slightly different tack, I have non rev a versions of kid icarus, mike tyson, ghosts n goblins, breakthru, slalom, and others. Do hangtab boxes exist for these games at all? Or was the first release for these games a non hangtab, non rev a? Entirely possible because most of the release dates on the games I just mentioned is 1987. It seems as though the hangtab boxes were being phased out during 1987, although used as late as Jan 88 or later.

2) games released between black boxes and Jan 1988(?) - depending on results of above questions, probably two to three versions each of the less popular games, i.e.:
    a) hangtab box
    b) non hangtab, non rev a
    (are a and b mutually exclusive?)
    c) non hangtab, rev a
    and three to four versions of the more popular games, i.e.
    a) to c) plus
    d) white seal
    I have hangtag versions of Kid Icarus, Ghosts 'N Goblins, Slalom, and Breakthru. So yes, them and others like Section Z, 1942, MUSCLE, etc do have those varieties.

A&B are mutually exclusive based on my experience.

Qixmaster - Scan of Wrecking Crew will be forthcoming.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is great I'm really enjoying this discussion.

a) and b) can't be mutually exclusive then, since I have a breakthru non rev a / non hangtab, and you have a hangtab.

OK, so probably all games prior to Jan 88 (?) had hangtab version (can anyone confirm zelda, tyson, etc?).

So now where the hell am I going to find factory sealed copies of all these variants? I think I'm gonna barf

--eric, can I ask you to scan your white seal balloon fight also?

thanks

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 5 screw cart version of Zelda but have not seen a hangtag version. I have gray seal Tyson box, but have never seen a 5 screw cart. I have hangtag versions of Rad Racer, Kid Icarus, and Metroid as well as 5 screws. I have a Canada release Dragon Warrior with a hangtag too but have never seen a 5 screw on it either. I also have a black colored instruction manual for Rad Racer - quite the anomally indeed.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

whoa baby!

I love NES collectors who know their shit

Completely forgot about mario and popeye, but those two are definately silver/gray (whatever you want to call them) seals.

Bronty,
    I like your idea about breaking them up like so and i also believe release dates are key for this.

One key point we should all notice is that ALL 5 Screw games came with a box that had a hangtab (although i have never seen a hangtab zelda box, but have seen the cart). So if we can figure out the cut off date (was it karnov?) for 5 screw hangtab boxed games, we can figure that every game released prior to this date was released 5 screw/hangtab/non rev a. Does that make sense?

I think we should tackle this portion first. Also, 8bitnes, i am in no way doubting that those versions of such games exist (wrecking crew and balloon fight), i just have never seen them. When collecting NES variants anything is possible

One more thing to note: I have (in the past) had two different copies of Ikari Warriors (both three screw, Rev. A, Gold Seal) however one of the copies had secruity screws while the other had regular screws. Otherwise, both carts were identical. Whats up with that?

In concern with Mike Tysons Punch Out!!; it was released right before karnov (10/87) so there is quite possibly a five screw variation of this game (although i have never seen one. Anybody remember buying this game brand new when it came out on release day?

So, if we use Karnov as the ending point to five screw variations (released Jan. 1988) we can include all these games as having five screw/hangtab/ non rev a.:

1. 10-yard Fight (10/85) System launch game
    2. 1942 (12/86)
    3. 3-D Worldrunner (9/87)
    4. Alpha Mission (10/87)
    5. Araknoid (8/87)
    6. Athena (8/87)
    7. Athletic World (9/87) Yes, the five screw version is a bitch to find.
    8. Balloon Fight (6/86)
    9. Baseball (10/85) system launch
    10. Breakthru (11/87)
    11. Burgertime (5/87) never seen one
    12. Castlevania (5/87)
    13. Chubby Cherub (10/86) good luck finding the box
    14. Clu Clu Land (10/85) system launch, only seen released in 5 screw
    15. Commando (11/86)
    16. Deadly Towers (9/87) never seen one
    17. Donkey Kong (6/86)
    18. Donkey Kong 3 (6/86)
    19. Donkey Kong Jr (6/86)
    20. Donkey Kong Jr. math (DP guide says released 6/86.... then how was this a system launch title?, shouldn't that date be 10/85?)
    21. Double Dribble (9/87)
    22. Duck Hunt (10/85) system launch
    23. Elevator Action (8/87)
    24. Excite Bike (10/85) system launch
    25. Ghost N Goblins (11/86)
    26. Golf (10/85) system launch
    27. Goonies II (11/87)
    28. Gotcha (11/87)
    29. Gradius (12/86)
    30. Gumshoe (6/86)
    31. Gyromite (10/85) system launch
    32. Hogans Alley (10/85) system launch
    33. Ice Climber (10/85) system launch
    34. Ikari Warriors (5/87)
    35. Jaws (11/87)
    36. Karate Champ (11/86)
    37. Karate Kid (11/87)
    38. Karnov (1/88)
    39. Kid Icurus (8/87)
    40. Kid Niki (11/87)
    41. Kung Fu (10/85) system launch
    42. Legend of Kage (8/87)
    43. Legend of Zelda (7/87)
    44. Lode Runner (9/87)
    45. Lunar Pool (10/87)
    46. M.U.S.C.L.E. (10/86)
    47. Mach Rider (10/85) system launch
    48. Mario Bros (6/86)
    49. Mega Man (12/87)
    50. Metroid (8/87)
    51. Mighty Bomb Jack (7/87)
    52. Mike Tysons Punch Out!! (10/87) never seen a 5 screw version
    53. Ninja Kid (10/86)
    54. Pinball (10/85) system launch
    55. Popeye (6/86)
    56. Rad Racer (10/87)
    57. Raid on Bungeling Bay (9/87)
    58. Renegade (1/88) were this, along with karnov, the last five screw games released?
    59. Ring King (9/87)
    60. Rush'n'Attack (4/87)
    61. Rygar (7/87)
    62. Section Z (7/87)
    63. Side Pocket (11/87)
    64. Sky Kid (9/87)
    65. Slalom (3/87)
    66. Soccer (3/87)
    67. Solomon's Key (7/87)
    68. Spelunker (9/87)
    69. Spy Hunter (9/87)
    70. Sqoon (9/87)
    71. Stack-Up (10/85) system launch
    72. Stadium Events (9/87)
    73. Star Force (11/87)
    74. StarTropics (9/87)... Really? Is that really the release date? I don't think a 5 screw copy of this exist.
    75. Stinger (9/87)
    76. Star Voyager
    77. SMB (10/85) system launch)
    78. Super Pitfall (11/87)
    79. Tag Team Wrestling (10/86)
    80. Tennis (10/85) system launch
    81. Tiger-Heli (10/87)
    82. Top Gun (11/87)
    83. Track and Field (4/87)
    84. Trojan (2/87)
    85. Urban Champion (6/86)
    86. Volleyball (3/87)
    87. Wild Gunman (10/85) system launch
    88. Winter Games (9/87)
    89. Wizards and Warriors (12/87)
    90. Wrecking Crew (10/85) system launch
    91. Zanac (10/87)

Dragon Power? (3/88), i actually think a 5 screw version of this game exists, so this could be the cut off date. Can anyone confirm a 5 screw version?
    other possiblities listed below:

Ice Hockey? (3/88)
    Ikari Warriors II? (4/88)
    City Connection? (5/88)
    Gun.Smoke? (2/88)
    Contra? (2/88)
    Double Dragon? (5/88)
    Freedom Force? (5/88)
    RC Pro-Am? (2/88)
    T&C Surf design? (2/88)

Wheew. that took just about an hour. major headache. must. lay. down.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also got 91, nice.

This is rehashing what we believe to be true, but I can confirm hangtab boxes for at least the following:
    athena
    balloon fight
    baseball
    chubby cherub
    clu clu
    dk jr math
    gradius
    gumshoe
    ice climber
    karnov
    kung fu
    muscle
    mach rider
    popeye
    spelunker
    SMB
    sqoon
    stack up
    stinger
    trojan
    wild gunman
    wrecking crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

You kids are crazy !!

....luckily, so am I

I can try to help, but time is always short. So I can try to help.

Someone can be in charge and I will post what I have found so far.

.....man where were you people when I had my variants website with all the pics?.....Too bad it was taken down by angelfire.

Josh, ill get you a want list in the next few days. Hurry up and let me know what you want cause Nick wants the lists.

dave

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I had tons of extra money, a complete sealed US nes collection would look so nice... if I was rich I'd buy other things, but I think a complete sealed nes collection is something I would go for, it might coast around $60,000 though... and to think, if someone would have collected the games back when they came out it would only have costed around $30,000.
    Midwest

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would cost a lot more than 60k to actually complete it, IMO x_x I want to yak when I think of how much I've spent (although considerably less than 60k) and I'm nowhere close to completion Not to mention the fact that you can't exactly call up a store and just order a sealed rush n attack or whatever. You have to wait and wait and wait and then pounce when the opportunity presents itself. It's not just money but also a huge amount of time. Have to watch ebay constantly or other collectors will get rare games you need ended for cheap by unwitting sellers. And I'm not even going to mention the fact that there are a few titles I've never seen sealed (and no, stadium events is not one of them). It's practically impossible. And of course you've got other collectors with varying degrees of maturity (read: none) actually trying to bid up the price on you on games they know you need so that you'll have less money for the next auction.. Mark my words this wrecking crew auction is exactly that scenario. (No, I'm not one of the people bidding)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave2236
    You kids are crazy !!

....luckily, so am I

.....man where were you people when I had my variants website with all the pics?.....Too bad it was taken down by angelfire.

Josh, ill get you a want list in the next few days. Hurry up and let me know what you want cause Nick wants the lists.

dave
    Hey anything you can confirm would be helpful. I suggest we all post the games we can confirm as hangtab boxes to start. Then we can move on to non hangtab, non rev a, etc.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS qixmaster, I think you're right about the release dates on at least one of the black boxes in the DP database being off, because according to DP there are 17 games released 10/85 but I was 99% sure it was 18 although I might be wrong. Not sure if dk math is 10/85 or not though.

Hmm... wait a sec... let me check the copyright date on my dk math box. I'll get back to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The problem with DKjr Math is that many sources list its release date correctly at 6/86. But in the Nov 95 issue of NP (volume 78) they erroneously listed it as a launch title in their NES 10 year anniversary special. Since that time, this error has snowballed as that issue was referenced when later lists were compiled. I think Nintendo's own NES release list on their website even perpetuates this error. All sources I have found dated before this volume 78 of NP list DKjr Math's release as 6/86. Unless someone can show me a pre-Nov'95 reference of this as a launch title, I'm inclined to beleive that it's not.

And if you think about it, why would they launch with DKjr Math but NOT any of their classic/well-known DK titles? It doesn't make any sense.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good point!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

but you have to think that the dk jr math has a gold seal, not one of those gray/silver arcade seals (which were all indeed released 6/86; Mario Bros, popeye, donkey kong, donkey kong jr and donkey kong 3). Why would nintendo print the seal different then the others? Was it because dk jr math wasn't released in the arcade?

What we need is someone to come forward who actually bought a NES on launch day and saw or did not see this title on the shelves with all the other black box games.

But since I have yet to see a famicom adapter inside a dk jr math, i am thinking that it quite possibly could have been released june of 1986. not sure though.

Could we split this topic off into a seperate thread?

I will get my known hangtab version games all together and post what i have.
    -Josh

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave2236
    You kids are crazy !!

....luckily, so am I

dave
    dave, i'll send you what i want on wednesday. I've been swamped with school, but it appears i have all day wednesday free

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The silver seal IMO is definitely for the arcade classics series only. DK math is 'education series.' All the other 6/86 black box releases have gold seals (eg gumshoe, urban champion).

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think that Startropics is that old. I am pretty sure it was released in 1990, as it was all over Nintendo Power magazine in 1990, and one of the girls in the game says she is "miss c island 1990".
    I was actually wondering how many NES games there are that don't have a single sealed copy left in the world. Has anyone ever seen a sealed Flinststones 2? I would imagine that there are at least 25 (probabley around 50) games that either don't have any sealed copies left, or have around 1-3.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2
    The silver seal IMO is definitely for the arcade classics series only. DK math is 'education series.' All the other 6/86 black box releases have gold seals (eg gumshoe, urban champion).
    That makes perfect sense. I guess i am going to go with Dk Jr. Math being released 6/86, sounds good to me.

launch title my ass Nintendo.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imanerd0011
    I don't think that Startropics is that old. I am pretty sure it was released in 1990, as it was all over Nintendo Power magazine in 1990, and one of the girls in the game says she is "miss c island 1990".
    I was actually wondering how many NES games there are that don't have a single sealed copy left in the world. Has anyone ever seen a sealed Flinststones 2? I would imagine that there are at least 25 (probabley around 50) games that either don't have any sealed copies left, or have around 1-3.
    and that too makes sense. If i remember correctly, Nintendo Power 21 highlighted the release of startropics. SO, that release date for startropics has got to be wrong. Knock that list down to 90... not 91.

Also, has anyone seen a 5 screw dragon power? I'd like to know.

-Josh