Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats the deal with R G B monitors anyway?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default whats the deal with R G B monitors anyway?

i always hear everyone talking about r g b this, r g b that. but , for reason i thought that R G B was an older technology used on older tv's, or am i wrong? and why don't people just use component video insted, i thought that was the best?
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nt
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nt

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

RGB is pure form of processing signal - before NTSC/PAL stuff...
    in layman's term this will give you the best possible interlaced signal free of any encoding and etc. Also almost all gaming console process internally in RGB and encode to NTSC/PAL to output via their cable you can see that by tapping RGB signal directly before encoding you will be clean and pure signal. Of course it is only popular in Europe especially UK as other part of world you won't find it on consumer telly...

hope this of any help...
    and if anyone see any error feel free to correct.. I tried to explainas simple as possible though...

cheers

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a breakdown of video game signals, from best to worst

1. True HDTV 720P/1080i - output for Video Games is the best. Unfortunately, only XBOX can achieve this in it's "TRUE" form, and very few XBOX games actually do offer "true" HDTV. A great example is Amped 2. This game can output 720p. But you still need a HDTV that can actually display a native 720p signal. And you need the XBOX High Def A/V Pack.

2. 480P - Progressive Scan is the second best. Basically a resolution of 640 x 480, non-interlaced. Virtually every single XBOX game can do this, most of the best GameCube games can do this, a few PS2 games can do this, the majority of Dreamcast games also are 480p compatible. You need a TV that can display a progressive signal. For XBOX you need the High Def A/V Pack, for PS2 you need the component cables, and for GameCube you need the special component cable that you have to order directly from Nintendo for. For Dreamcast you need the VGA Box and a VGA to component adapter.

3. Analog RGB - If you can't view the game in High Def or 480P, then the best way to go is analog R G B. For all those PS2 games that aren't 480p compatible, R G B will give you the best picture quality, period. Same thing with all the GameCube games that aren't 480p. With XBOX, there is only one or two games that aren't 480p, so I wouldn't even worry about it for XBOX. For Dreamcast there isn't that many DC games that aren't 480p, so I wouldn't worry about it for that either.

And then you have the older systems. They are absolutely perfect for R G B. The TurboGraphx-16, The Sega Genesis, The Super Nintendo, The Neo-Geo, The Sega CD, The Turbo Duo, The Atari Jaguar, The Sega 32X, The Neo-Geo CD, The Sega Saturn, The Playstation, even the Nintendo 64. All of these systems will look best on a R G B monitor with the right R G B cable.

4. Component 480i - I think that the only system that this matters for, really is the PS2. If you use component cables, and you don't have a TV that does 480p, but your TV will accept 480i component, then this is a decent alternative to a R G B cable and a R G B monitor for your PS2, but the signal isn't as good as real R G B. Don't kid yourself into thinking this is the equivalent to R G B. It's not.

5. S-Video - For the older systems, S-Video is always an option. But most of these older systems also do R G B, so you are better off with that. But if you are hooking up a SNES to a big 50 inch Big Screen, then yes, use the S-Video plug for best picture.

6. Composite - For systems like the NES, composite is the best you can do. It's better than the RF hookup, but nowhere near as good as S-Video or R G B. For the TurboGraphx-16, you shoud use composite, with the Turbobooster, if you can't play it on a R G B monitor. Same thing with Genesis and Sega CD.

7. RF - Avoid if at all possible. RF is the worst signal you can get. It's quite funny to me that people out there have XBOX's hooked up via RF, because they don't know any better.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

any idea why DP forum replaces R G B with warm chocolate pudding crap???

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Proper rgb on a good pal(non 100hz) crt tv is the best there is in my opinion..I even prefer it to progressive.

Except for xbox..its strange but it seems like ms skimped on it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    any idea why DP forum replaces R G B with warm chocolate pudding crap???

Because I went R G B crazy in this one post, and they knew that it would be absolutely hilarious to read that post with warm chocolate pudding substituted for R G B.

Believe me, I was on the floor laughing my ass off, when I first read that one post that I did, when they changed it to Warm Chocolate Pudding. I was laughing so hard that tears were coming down my face.

It was kinda a way for them to say, "Anthony would you stop with all the damn R G B posts", without coming right out and saying that to me.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

for a second I thought I mistyped but there are way too many letters in warm chocolate pudding than R-G-B

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    any idea why DP forum replaces warmer, choclatey-er puddin' with warm chocolate pudding crap???
    Because I love to play my games in RGB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally found the thread and figured out the rgb thing. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...=andreas%20rgb

rgb!!!

"Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still don't get it.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Anthony, you should take all your knowledge of video types, quality and connections, and put it together into some sort of online FAQ. Then we could refer people to it whenever they have questions. I'll bet if you wrote something up, Joe would even be happy to host it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Anthony, you should take all your knowledge of video types, quality and connections, and put it together into some sort of online FAQ. Then we could refer people to it whenever they have questions. I'll bet if you wrote something up, Joe would even be happy to host it.
    I second that. I suck at all this tech stuff, and I would love a nice FAQ explaining all this stuff about which type of HDTVs to get for gaming and such.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

so much warm chocolate pudding... and I like it cold... o_Y

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While we're on the subject (I think), could someone explain what the "temperature" of a color means? On my Viewsonic monitor I find it under "Viewmatch Color", although the K's (degrees Kelvin?) are missing.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love RGB and I always use it

Its surprising its not the standard in America, lol

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Now if only I knew what warm chocolate pudding really was, that would help...
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's RGB, plain and simple. Also known as R G B or R-G-B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    While we're on the subject (I think), could someone explain what the "temperature" of a color means? On my Viewsonic monitor I find it under "Viewmatch Color", although the K's (degrees Kelvin?) are missing.
    I'm not sure if it's the same for t.v, but it art color temprature is used to describe a certain tone or feel of a color. Brighter colors like red, and yellow are reffered to as "warm" and darker muted colors like blue, are called "cold"

the terms are also used in the printing industry, when a designer goes over to check on the printouts usually if any changes to the colors need to be made they'll say to the proofer, something like could you warm up this section, and that the printers cue to add say more magenta ink to a particular part.

The colors are also sometimes reffered to as "hot" and "cold" Hope I answered your question, sorry to all others for going off topic.