Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How have your gaming tastes changed over the years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How have your gaming tastes changed over the years?

When I was younger I enjoyed long single player games the most like RPGs and platformers. The only real exception was a few fighters, namely Street Fighter series.

Now I find it hard to sit through a long single player game, I'm all about fast actions, play for 20 mins arcade style games, notably shooters. The very idea of sitting through an RPG makes me cry. I'm trying to play Sly 2 right now, and even though I enjoy it, I find it very hard to play it for more than 30 mins at a time.

I don't want to sit through storylines and fmvs...I just wanna blow something up real good. I used to be the opposite...but I just don't have the attention span anymore.

how 'bout you? How have your gaming tastes changed over the years?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

I used to be obsessed with Fighters and Platformers. I didnt play my first RPG until 1997 when I played FF7. I got into the genre and now have most of Squares RPGs on the PSX and currently have CT on the SNES. I wish I would have been into RPGs back in the NES/SNES days because I would have been able to get games that have went up in price since then.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive always loved Nintendo, especially Mario games. Im a fan of 2D platformers but this 3D collecting/walking around bullshit is boring me

I have exactly the same tastes now in gaming, but I do wish Nintendo would get serious and make SOME games that dont just appeal to Nintendo fanboys and kids.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I need games with really good stories now then I was used to back then , Im easily entertained anymore like I used to like zelda now I can really enjoy like ys 1 and 2 for duo.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They haven't changed... not at all... why? Because Nintendo hasn't changed.

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default gaming tastes

i have and always will just love a good game.....so no they have not changed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RPG/S-RPG games (especially Nippon Ichi) are beginning to appeal to me, but otherwise my taste in games hasn't changed. I still like anything done well, except for sports. I hate sports games.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my tastes really havn't changed, i still hate rpgs, and almost all sports games. almost all platformer games still bore me, and SNK,Sega,and shmup titles are still the best.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was younger (6-10 years old), all I wanted to play were platformers. Now I am in to stratagy games and games with really good story lines (notably RPGs). I also fancy the occasional side-scrolling shooter. I feel that the natural progression amoungst serious gamers is to games that are more deep in plot and in character developement.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to be able to sit down and play RPGs all day when I was younger, but these days, I don't really have the patience anymore...

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Platformers used to be my bag but now I like SHMUPs best. Probably because generally you're able to move around in an open space and there's so much opportunity to dodge properly.

I have always liked vapid arcade games in the vein of Joust, Pac Man, Robotron, etc. Easy to squeeze a brief game into a busy schedule and skill through practice really shines in the genre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: How have your gaming tastes changed over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    When I was younger I enjoyed long single player games the most like RPGs and platformers. The only real exception was a few fighters, namely Street Fighter series.

Now I find it hard to sit through a long single player game, I'm all about fast actions, play for 20 mins arcade style games, notably shooters. The very idea of sitting through an RPG makes me cry. I'm trying to play Sly 2 right now, and even though I enjoy it, I find it very hard to play it for more than 30 mins at a time.

I don't want to sit through storylines and fmvs...I just wanna blow something up real good. I used to be the opposite...but I just don't have the attention span anymore.

i feel just about the same way. when i was younger, i played an RPG or two, and liked type of thing.... nowdays, there's no way i can bring myself to invest the sort of time that one of those entails. i just don't get the point, doing the same exact battle over and over endlessly.
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to play with player's guides and cheating devices. I had to cheat on EVERY game. EVERY game. Had to have guides for most.
    I went clean of cheating in 2003, clean of guides in 2004.
    I used to play boring-ass nintendo 64 collecting quests like banjo kazooie, and collect every damn note/jiggy/etc.
    Now, i don't bother with 100% on most games. Vice City being an exception.
    I used to think atari VCS was "too" simple.
    Now I <3 Atari.
    Oh yeah. And this coming from a HUGE console FPS freak.....
    I couldn't get into FPS games. Although i did play them on pc. *roll*
    Oh yes. I used to think disc-based gaming was THE DEVIL!
    Nowadays, I wish i'd discovered Saturn in 1996 instead of N64.
    I used to hate any and all imports. *clutches his zero wing PAL cart*
    Oh yes, and for years I hated RPGs. That is changing.
    I still think fighters suck though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to get a big kick out of RPGs when I was 12 or 13, even younger. Now I basically can't get through them, unless they are different or exciting somehow. (I consider the timing based attacks in Paper Mario exciting, by the way.)

Admittedly, I will still play certain series no matter what, but I can't imagine sitting through some boring "Legend of Dragoon" boring typical cookie cutter Fantasy RPG. Too much time, too much repetition. (Within the game, and for that matter, throughout the genre.)

Basically now, shooters, arcade games, fighters, and good adventure/action games top my list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well when I was younger I really enjoyed my Nintendo because it's all I really owned till my teenage years...because I was a casual gamer in my younger years and my parent's bought me an occasion game here and there that I really enjoyed.

Then came my teenage years and I really can be honest I wasn't really a gamer and instead just worried about sports & girls and I owned a Sega Genesis that I got my 16th Birthday with both Sonics and really enjoyed them but mostly it just coleted dust ...but I didn't sell it or my NES, actually I still own them .

Then came year 2001 and it seemed like everything changed with my gaming hobby as I was at Walmart one night, was browsing thru the game section to see what I missed, then I saw Driver 2 & Silent Hill in action on the PS1 and I started playing the demo and I was hooked...a week later got my paycheck and went back to Walmart and bought the PS1,Silent Hill,Driver,Driver 2 and Madden 2001 ...since then I'm very much a huge gamer and collector and now I own all three current-gen consoles and a bunch of older consoles that I totally missed out on.

I guess I can say I'm 26 now and got a full time job and apartment and reponses...but I'm now a huge gamer that puts many hours into this great hobby everyweek.

Great to be a gamer...man I love this hobby!

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not my taste that has changed but my behaviour. Most of the time I don't have patience or the attention span to play the same game (or games at all) 10 hours straight. I've also noticed that when I'm at a point in a game where I don't know what to do I don't have the nerves of trying some things to find a solution. If it doesn't work out after a view tries and I don't have anything in mind what to do I just look it up in an online guide. I'm really getting lazy about gaming and I think this sucks!!
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to be entirely addicted to RPGs. I'd play them one after another. It seems funny that I have the Arc The Lad box set and the PS2 game, Tales Of Symphonia and several others sitting here untouched. Back then....they would have been completed long by now. I am playing FFXI Online every day tho.....

The first games that I played were racers....and I STILL love them to this day. Same with adventure/platformers. I never cared much for FPS TPS then....and still don't today.

I guess that I haven't changed much.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I used to think that I could never adjust to 3D games, back when the PS1 and the Dreamcast were butting heads. I was content with playing on my SNES, coupled with emulation of old consoles and arcade games. I now play mostly games on modern consoles (aside from when I'm on the GBA) and even though I still love the pre-crash, 8- and 16- bit games, I rarely play them anymore (although that's more due to laziness over the RF switch than anything else).

Oh, and I never thought much of skateboarding games until I tried out Tony Hawk 2 and got hooked on the Mac demo.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Re: How have your gaming tastes changed over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel

Actually, this description matches mine pretty well. I don't have time to invest in long games anymore. I got Phantasy Star 3 a while ago and I just can't play it right now--too much time required between saves.

One type of game that I still love and will always love is what Nintendo used to call the "adventure" game; the kind that uses both your brains and your reflexes. I guess the Zeldas would be a good example. The pinnacle for me right now is the Metal Gear Solid Series, because that's pretty much as close to the adventure/action RPG category things get while still introducing novel ideas.

My penchant for arcade-style games made Dreamcast a favorite of mine, as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to play with player's guides and cheating devices. I had to cheat on EVERY game. EVERY game. Had to have guides for most.
    Me too! I really regret doing that. Now I really kinda suck at everything because I didn't sharpen my skills when I was young. I have so much more fun beating the game on my own.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."