Thread: Xbox issues: Please assist

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox issues: Please assist

My brother is having Xbox issues, and since I'm the big dork in the family, he's been badgering me to do something about it.

His Xbox isn't maintaining power for very long. It just shuts off after a few seconds. The slightest tap on the system will also do it. I know it's some type of power supply issue, but I'm wondering what I can do. Is buying a replacement and installing it an easy fix? Is it even possible to buy a power supply for it? Is he going to have to suck it up and send this in to MS? How much is that gonna cost? Anybody have an address handy?

I must have no conscience at all. My first reaction was, "why don't you just sell it to one of the douchey guys at the flea market?". I have no sympathy for this one idiot who has hundreds of sealed new release dvd's on release day, and sells them for $12 a piece. He obviously is getting stolen movies, but he's been doing it for years. Would it be cheaper to sell his dying system and just buy a used one someplace like eb?

-Hitman-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

If I bought a Dead system at a flea market "newer expensive stuff" and was unable to find the dude it would be in his best interest to not let me find him in a supermarket line or something similar somewhere down the road.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would also agree in not trying to pass off a dead system to some weird flea market guy. Anyhow, I know of no possible way to buy another power cord for the system. Do you have an xbox yourself? If you do use it to test his out.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is actually very easy to replace a bad power supply. Do you know anything about computers? Well, a xbox is basically the same thing as a computer. A friend of mine had this same problem, he didnt know what to do, i came to the conclusion that it was a bad power supply, took me about 3 minutes to replace. They are very cheap on ebay(15$?). Trust me, if you have ANY inkling of know-how about electronics/computers..ect, do it yourself and do not send to M$. All you need is a star-screwdriver, pop open the case, unscrew the dvdmount/hddmount, unscrew the power supply, pop in the new one and put it back together. Go to xbox-scene.org , those guys know everything about this, trust me.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken
    It is actually very easy to replace a bad power supply. Do you know anything about computers? Well, a xbox is basically the same thing as a computer. A friend of mine had this same problem, he didnt know what to do, i came to the conclusion that it was a bad power supply, took me about 3 minutes to replace. They are very cheap on ebay(15$?). Trust me, if you have ANY inkling of know-how about electronics/computers..ect, do it yourself and do not send to M$. All you need is a star-screwdriver, pop open the case, unscrew the dvdmount/hddmount, unscrew the power supply, pop in the new one and put it back together. Go to xbox-scene.org , those guys know everything about this, trust me.
    Yes, This man has nailed it. It will literally take you longer to unscrew the case apart than it would to install a new PSU. Its only 2 screws that hold it down.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

make sure to get the correct PSU as there are two different types with different pins...