Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sequel Sequel Sequel When the heck is it going to stop?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Sequel Sequel Sequel When the heck is it going to stop?

Ok, so we all know that a good game deserves a sequel, but how many? Four? Five? Seven? It seems like lately most of the games released tend to just be yet another sequel of a long extened game series. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind any game that is of good quality, and this post is not directed towards the games that have one to three good games in a series. I guess the real question is? When is all the "non creative sequelmania going to bite the game industry in the butt"? I know that not "all" the current games that are being released are not sequels.......but dam a whole hell alot of them are. Is it that hard to make something "new"?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Sequel Sequel Sequel When the heck is it going to stop?

Ok, so we all know that a good game deserves a sequel, but how many? Four? Five? Seven? It seems like lately most of the games released tend to just be yet another sequel of a long extened game series. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind any game that is of good quality, and this post is not directed towards the games that have one to three good games in a series. I guess the real question is? When is all the "non creative sequelmania going to bite the game industry in the butt"? I know that not "all" the current games that are being released are not sequels.......but dam a whole hell alot of them are. Is it that hard to make something "new"?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

final fantasy XXVIII only for the psXV.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

final fantasy XXVIII only for the psXV.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its the publishers mainly who are too blame, and to a lesser extent the consumer.

From experience publishers are less likely to fork out for a new game when they a guaranteed to make money on already existing franchises that is already in the public's knowledge.

But i have to admit though, that when i like a game, i want to experience more of it. (metal slug) :P

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its the publishers mainly who are too blame, and to a lesser extent the consumer.

From experience publishers are less likely to fork out for a new game when they a guaranteed to make money on already existing franchises that is already in the public's knowledge.

But i have to admit though, that when i like a game, i want to experience more of it. (metal slug) :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The same thing happened to the movie industry years ago, and it shows no signs of stopping. Companies know that sequels are garunteed to rake in a certain ammount of cash, no matter how sucky the game. Ya know, now that you mention it, I just picked up suikoden 4 and RE 4. For franchises that started on the PS 4 seems to be the current number.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The same thing happened to the movie industry years ago, and it shows no signs of stopping. Companies know that sequels are garunteed to rake in a certain ammount of cash, no matter how sucky the game. Ya know, now that you mention it, I just picked up suikoden 4 and RE 4. For franchises that started on the PS 4 seems to be the current number.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berty
    Other way around. The consumer dictates the market. If people stopped buying crappy rehashes, publishers wouldn't put so much of their effort into them.

The consumer always dictates the market.

Publishers crank out sequels because it's lucrative. And safe.

Think of it this way... publishers that hedge their bets by making sure-hit sequels are also more likely to take the risk on a "new" game because they can afford it if it's a bust. If a small company does that, that one bust could ruin the company for good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berty
    Other way around. The consumer dictates the market. If people stopped buying crappy rehashes, publishers wouldn't put so much of their effort into them.

The consumer always dictates the market.

Publishers crank out sequels because it's lucrative. And safe.

Think of it this way... publishers that hedge their bets by making sure-hit sequels are also more likely to take the risk on a "new" game because they can afford it if it's a bust. If a small company does that, that one bust could ruin the company for good.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'll stop when we stop buying all of them. Since a lot of these sequels they are cranking out are actually pretty dam good games, that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'll stop when we stop buying all of them. Since a lot of these sequels they are cranking out are actually pretty dam good games, that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Recentlly, a fair number of sequels have been good games. I have no qualms about buying good sequels. It's like revisiting a friend with a new story. It's the crappy sequels I'll have no part of.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Recentlly, a fair number of sequels have been good games. I have no qualms about buying good sequels. It's like revisiting a friend with a new story. It's the crappy sequels I'll have no part of.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sequel Sequel Sequel When the heck is it going to stop?
    Ironically, they will stop when companies stop making original games. No originals games, no sequels. Hah!

I really have no problem with sequels. I'm with crazyjhackcsa on this one. But to add to that, so-so sequels are a bit of a bummer sometimes too. I've always believed that sequels should be better than the first. I kind of irks me when a sequel is too similar to the first or if they only give you a little bit more.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sequel Sequel Sequel When the heck is it going to stop?
    Ironically, they will stop when companies stop making original games. No originals games, no sequels. Hah!

I really have no problem with sequels. I'm with crazyjhackcsa on this one. But to add to that, so-so sequels are a bit of a bummer sometimes too. I've always believed that sequels should be better than the first. I kind of irks me when a sequel is too similar to the first or if they only give you a little bit more.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the money stops rolling in the sequels will stop. Developers and consumers share nearly equal blame on different levels. Not all sequels are bad by the way.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the money stops rolling in the sequels will stop. Developers and consumers share nearly equal blame on different levels. Not all sequels are bad by the way.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

I want sequels to Suikoden to continue to the end of time, as well as Star Ocean. I love the sequels, so I ain't complaining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

I want sequels to Suikoden to continue to the end of time, as well as Star Ocean. I love the sequels, so I ain't complaining.