Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Iwata: Revolution will bring a "paradigm shift" to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I'll hazard that the Revolution will be interesting to hardcore fans (as the DS is), but will the public at large bite? It will no doubt make or break Nintendo.

It's too early to tell if Nintendo's goin' DOOOOOWN.....in a...
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Every time someone from Nintendo talks about whatever their next hardware is it's predicted to change the way people look at gaming (or something to that effect) and it never does. Honestly, I wish they would deliver for a change bacause modern gaming bores me for the most part, but it's hard to take anything coming from Nintendo seriously anymore.
    That's just funny to me, you stating that Nintendo never changes the way you look at gaming, but that modern gaming bores you...so it must have been Sony or Microsoft that changed your view of gaming from entertainment to boredom?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe a change in the way they do business altogether?

i.e. take a chance on courting smaller, independent developers with different ideas?

what made the NES/SNES great? 3rd party support. now we're getting to a point where your 3rd parties are EA, rockstar, namco, and konami. back in the day, there were tons of 3rd party developers who could compete on a fairly even keel as far as [visual] quality of the product was concerned. everyone had pretty much an equal opportunity to create what was a visually appealing game, and what separated the good ones from the terrible ones was play mechanics. more alien hominids, and less FPS's, perhaps?

an ipod like device that would store your games on it? if the games aren't going to be as visually demanding, and nintendo's biggest selling product they don't sell seems to be all-in-one controllers full of their games, then why not some kind of small, portable device that plugs into the TV, and does an HD-loader number, where you only need to pop in the game once, and offer things like emulated classics as paid downloads?

of course this brings up the piracy issue, but registering the software/etc. could easily be implemented.

otherwise, the cliffs notes of that article are:

"we are going to do something different. that's all we know at this point."
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

okay good posts everybody, mostly FULL of SPECULATIONS and RUMORS. i like to post topics about current news, and after having a great conversation with JJNova last nite, i would like for people to comment about the news and not the rumors/speculations of anything when i post new topics (i bet JJNova would like that to). I'm not tring to be an @ss or anything... like i said i love to get comments about a news article, and share them with fellow DPers, and the last couple times they have been shot down and it shifts from news to rumors...

It would be nice to see a console, with a 2-4 button controller. JJNova said that 2 button controllers would be great for games like Kirby's Air Ride and i dont think you can play First Person Shoters with 2 buttons, plausible but near impossible. I think its great that Itawa has stated that he would like to get "retired gamers", but thats not the main focus, because i know that he would like to get everyone to play or have one, and you just cant target that demographic and get the same number of sales. I think thats its great that nintendo isnt directly trying to compete with the PSP, he said it in many interviews and videos, if you want a link i got 'em. He know and i think i know that the PSP will appeal to a different crowd of gamers than the DS will. But that hasnt stopped Nintendo from releasing a "supposive" MP3 player attachment for the DS, so in a way... it makes you wonder if they ARE competeing with the PSP. I will dig up the link if anyone asks. Now, it brings me to 3rd party support, with an additude like they have with the DS and if they carry that same additude to the next console, what will happen? we will just wait and see.

Thanks to JJNova, for a great conversation and being a REALIST at heart.
    thanks everyone.
    In the free/libre software
    movement, we develop
    software that respects users'
    freedom, so we can and you can
    escape from software that
    doesn't --Richard Stallman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I wish some of you closet fanboys were as gullible in real life as you are about Nintendo on the internet. The Gamecube's a great system (while the DS is, for most at the moment, merely a glorified tech demo with some nifty minigames), but this generation is only further proof of Nintendo's continual decline. The same fanboys that bitch about Madden, GTA and Halo getting sequels are the same ones that bought Paper Mario, Pikmin 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Mario Party 6, etc. I'm not saying those games are bad, just the hypocrisy is amazing.

"Not directly competing" is what the loser says so he can relax in his own world without ever admitting to himself that he is in second (or worse) place. Maybe if Nintendo spent less on pointless R&D funnels (GBA wireless adapter, GBA/GCN link, e-Reader) and more on courting the third parties whose games people want to play or developing new games and franchises, they wouldn't be begging for scraps and pulling fanboys a little closer to their teats.

I own an Xbox and Gamecube myself, but you have to ask yourself: if you're Johnny Q. Casual Gamer and you walk into EB/Gamestop/etc. to buy a new system and briefly browse the game selections for each system, is it any wonder that most people choose the Xbox or Playstation 2? Their end was their creation.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xaer0knight
    okay good posts everybody, mostly FULL of SPECULATIONS and RUMORS.
    What excatly does the article give us to talk about on a non-rumor and speculation level.

As far as the "Revolution", its all a bunch of vague talk about the damn thing...all that was really mentioned, as far as what it can/could do, was the bit about it hooking up to a monitor.

The rest of the article was standard press release BS filled with some utter nonsense about how Nintendo's products arent competing with those of their competitors.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I think that I just read a press release for a system that they want me to have in the back of my mind without actually telling me what the system is going to be able to do. A little pre-hype if you will.

After all, they don't want to tip their hand to their competitors (who will beat them to market, most likely), but at the same time they don't want you to forget about them either.

(BTW: Just because they don't acknowledge their competitors in a press release doesn't mean *a thing* - it's all posturing).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end