Thread: Magnavox Odyssey^2 Problems

Insert Coin (Level 0) lakeflaccid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Magnavox Odyssey^2 Problems

I recently purchased a Magnavox Odyssey^2. It came with several cartridges, all the necessary cables, and other such stuff.

The only problem is that it doesn't work. It powers up, and displays (or not) a picture on the T.V. If I have a cartridge in (and sometimes when I don't) it displays what appears to be part of a playing field. No button seems to do anything (with the exception of the reset button, which just causes the screen to flash). The weirdest thing is that the playing field is the same no matter what cartridge is inserted...

I suspect it to be a BIOS problem. It's probably corrupt or needs to be reseated.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Classic Gaming Raccoon RockyRaccoon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Magnavox Odyssey^2 Problems

Quote Originally Posted by lakeflaccid
    I recently purchased a Magnavox Odyssey^2. It came with several cartridges, all the necessary cables, and other such stuff.

The only problem is that it doesn't work. It powers up, and displays (or not) a picture on the T.V. If I have a cartridge in (and sometimes when I don't) it displays what appears to be part of a playing field. No button seems to do anything (with the exception of the reset button, which just causes the screen to flash). The weirdest thing is that the playing field is the same no matter what cartridge is inserted...

I suspect it to be a BIOS problem. It's probably corrupt or needs to be reseated.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Could it be the Channel RF is set wrong? ... Open it up with a 1/4 Socket Wrench...the Channel RF Selector is on the INSIDE of the unit... (Yeah..what a good place for it, huh?) and set it to another chan...then try it.

My Loose model is like this at least...

~Rocky

Insert Coin (Level 0) lakeflaccid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon
    Could it be the Channel RF is set wrong? ...
    I've already disassembled the unit and examined my possibilities. I had the television on the correct channel, but I tried switching the switch (and changing the television channel) anyway. No luck.

Does anyone know the best way to get this thing apart? I mean, I know how to get the outer shell apart, but the insides are completely wrapped in metal shielding. Do I have to break one of the shielding welds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lakeflaccid
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon
    Could it be the Channel RF is set wrong? ...
    I've already disassembled the unit and examined my possibilities. I had the television on the correct channel, but I tried switching the switch (and changing the television channel) anyway. No luck.

Does anyone know the best way to get this thing apart? I mean, I know how to get the outer shell apart, but the insides are completely wrapped in metal shielding. Do I have to break one of the shielding welds?
    If your talking about getting at the parts covered by metal, there is no easy way to do so. Frankly, from what you've decribed, the unit sounds pretty much dead - so-to-speak. I would look for a replacement, unless your good at fixing electronic equipment.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!