Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there such a thing as to having too many systems ??

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default is there such a thing as to having too many systems ??

i got 25+ systems(not counting multiples and my arcade cabinets)
    i think i got too many system's.. i only used my ps2 and gba sp most of the time..all the other system got left out ..along with some/alots of game that i never got a chance to beated/play....... and i don't want to sell them..cause i wanted to played them all.........i just got suikoden 4 and iam still playing my star ocean3 (brought it when it first come out...just getting to it)
    i tried not to buy as many game but i just can't help it....

does anyone has this problem also ??

also if you know anything about arcade monitor please go to the tech forum
    >> my vertical monitor has a problem(bending lines on the side)
    thank you
    GOOD SELLER'S: lone_monster, *BUYER"S**FantasiaWHT , The_Chosen_One, max 330 mega, DDCecil, video_game_addict, optic_85, **underexposed+ **, Querjek, buffquinn, Crush Crawfish, The Collector, pseudonym, bobdrywalls , charitycasegreg, y-bot, Captain Yashiro, ** Lady Jaye**,, buttasuperb

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a collector can never have too many

however you can get buried under all that hardware, go with space saving moves and backward compatible systems to tidy things up. why have a 2600 out and hooked up when you have a 7800? or an SMS when you have the genesis powerbase? i also like to have the little version of console x that always comes out toward the end of its lifespan, saves room on the big shelf. if a system is strictly for collecting i prefer to have it in my boxed display pile, protected and looking store fresh.

i've gone the additional step of having two set-ups to keep the consoles in rotation

rig one is the big TV with the xbox, ps2, saturn and so on. serious modern consoles where games can take weeks of play. i'm gonna spend a lot of time here so its facing the couch and has nice stereo.

rig two is a nice com1084s set at floor level eye view, this is where i keep my classic consoles. most classic games are craving games that you might just wanna go a few quick rounds with, a little pitfall or gorf here and there. i've got a few cushions to sit on and this is where i introduce my toddler to gaming. right now he's moved on from the vectrex to the atari XE, the candy colored buttons are working out great "dadda more , dadda again" all i need to say "hit the blue button son"
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there is such a thing as too many systems. Personally I think there are only around 10 systems that are truely worth owning. I couldn't even name 25 systems if I had too. I have 6 systems, and I only play 1 of them (NES), and occasionally some SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default to many systems

no such thing...i have got over 30+ systems and i am always still looking for one i dont have at a good price....i to dont play all of them...but its nice knowing that if i want to, they are there....pluse i am a collector..sad but true..game are my hobbie

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have too many, thats why ive been selling them off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say that too many systems is never a bad thing, provided you have the space for them. In my case, I have a large entertainment center, 4 shelves on each side, space on top, two shelves on the bottom, and a big ass tv in the middle. I have 15 consoles hooked up to the tv, ready to play. This however is the limit that I can successfully hook up without investing mucho bucks in signal boosters, switchboxes, etc.

If I had the space for a second, smaller tv, i would hook up most of the retro systems to that and keep the current AV systems hooked up to the big one. Someday in the future that will probably be a reality, but for now I'll have to keep some systems hooked up all the time and some in rotations (O2, Intelly, C64, Atari400).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once thought that I had too many systems so I just moved to a bigger place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now you have too few, correct? :P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i keep the 2600 and sms around because I read somewhere that there are 3 games on each system that don't work with the 7800 or powerbase. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but i've played it safe so far.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really depends on how you define yourself in this video-game driven community. For instance, some people here care more about collectiing than others. Therefore, these people will obviously not think there is such a thing as too many systems. Others, like myself, are just die-hard gamers, who realize the benefits in having a small number of consoles.

There are, of course, people who try to collect and play every game they get thier hands on, but it tends to not work out that well after a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Now you have too few, correct? :P
    Damn right.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

At last count, I have 18 consoles, 15 different ones (and 1 more on the way). My only problem is that I tend to buy/trade for consoles more than I do for games, so half of the consoles I own only have two or three games for them.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have too many i dont like, so ive been weeding out this shit trying to cut my collection down to like 200-300 games, (accomplished) and 15 systems (working on it)
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tuxedojoe
    Others, like myself, are just die-hard gamers, who realize the benefits in having a small number of consoles.
    There is no benefit besides saving space. Which, as has been demonstrated by a team of scientists at UC Berkeley, is not efficient gaming.

The real way to go is to get every console with games on it that you like, get those games, and then be happy. \m/

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, for me, in an individual state, I get around to playing something on them every once in a while, so I don't think I could ever have too many (except for my channel f....DIE)....but when it comes to extras of a certain system it can get outta hand, cause I have a few extra genesis systems that I'm just not gonna be able to resell for shit.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel as if I have joined the same thoughts lately. I currently have a ton of systems, and pretty much always have had a bunch of systems ever since I got a Jaguar.

I have a complete Jaguar collection, and I can say that I have played every game in that collection at least once. Most of the games I have played for an extended period of time, and I have beaten probably 75% of the games that I had hoped to.

I have a complete Dreamcast collection. I have played probably 20% of my collection, and beaten maybe 2% of what I would like to. There are a LOT of Dreamcast games that I would like to play more of, but I haven't had the chance.

I picked up a bunch of PSOne games recently. And Xbox. And GameCube. I still have probably 25% of the games that I have picked up in the last six months sealed, and that isn't because I want to keep them sealed. I'm kind of overwhelmed and have to make decisions when I play of what to play.

I wish that either I had a week off just to sit around and game or didn't have quite as much as I do right now, but it is probably just because I have been pretty overwhelmed lately. I did get to finally break open a copy of Viewtiful Joe that I bought immediately after X-mas tonight and play, and if I can get a few hours per night of gaming in... I'll probably be needing more consoles again
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

I've just started inventory on my games and will do so soon on my consoles. I'm not done yet, but I've already reached the conclusion that I've got more games than I'll be able to play in this lifetime if I want to actually count it as a life.

So, as a collector: No. You can never have too many consoles.

As a gamer: Yeah, I think you can.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad
    I've just started inventory on my games and will do so soon on my consoles. I'm not done yet, but I've already reached the conclusion that I've got more games than I'll be able to play in this lifetime if I want to actually count it as a life.

So, as a collector: No. You can never have too many consoles.

As a gamer: Yeah, I think you can.

Well said Mezra. I've thought of exactly the same thing, that I have more games than I'll be able to play in my lifetime. As it is, trying to schedule gaming around my girlfriend, work, other activities, COLLECTING , etc, is really hard. I long for the days when I could have at it on a long RPG like Chrono Trigger or Earthbound. But no longer. I'm limited to the likes of Katamari Damacy and Gradius V to satiate my gaming thirst.
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default is there such a thing as to having too many systems ??

Depends...

Me :..No..

I want to be able to play as many games as I can and on as many systems that I can find/acquire.
    Too many is never enough..for me atleast..

As mezrabad wrote:
    I've already reached the conclusion that I've got more games than I'll be able to play in this lifetime.

But since my Son is the little gamer that he is..He'll get to play a lot more then me of what I have and what I buy...This makes collecting more games and systems even more important to me....for him to enjoy.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as you have the space for them, and the time to play them, then no. Never too many.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html