Thread: "Dumbass" with an Earthbound "demo"

Strawberry (Level 2) icarwngs55's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "Dumbass" with an Earthbound "demo"

This just does not make sense AT ALL the display unit is what reset he game NOT the game itself...and so many people are fooled already....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Mike

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I'm not sure I follow you. Can you explain what you mean, please?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: "Dumbass" with an Earthbound "demo"

Quote Originally Posted by icarwngs55
    This just does not make sense AT ALL the display unit is what reset he game NOT the game itself...and so many people are fooled already....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Mike
    I've re-read this 5 time now and still have no idea what you're trying to say.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What he's saying is that the seller is trying to pass off a broken game as a demo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That game the seller has IS NOT A DEMO....IT IS MOST LIKELY BROKEN...Demo snes games were still the whole version...The demo display unit (the system itself) is what reset the game...not the game...Thanks...Sorry you can't read what I write x_x

Mike

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

You know, call me crazy, but have you ever considered that he MAY be correct?

Yes, it may be a bad copy of a game. Reseting every 10 minutes would seem to indicate that.

But we know some games had internal timers that caused them to reset after a while -- the contest Starfox carts, for example.

No way to know for sure, huh?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah well he might be rigth but what if it does reset every ten minutes on the mark. That would have to be programming.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

One question, though: If it resets every 10 minutes, how would he be able to get to a save at the end?

Or is this a game where you can save wherever you go? It's been a while since I've played it, I forget.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer

Yes, it may be a bad copy of a game. Reseting every 10 minutes would seem to indicate that.

But we know some games had internal timers that caused them to reset after a while -- the contest Starfox carts, for example.

No, the Starfox demo carts didn't reset at a time interval -- the game was only five minutes long no matter what. If you did well, you got further. If you did poorly, you didn't get too far. There was no way to extend your time -- that was built in. (note: I have one, so this is coming from someone who has played it for a long time)

I wouldn't doubt that there may be some games with an internal thing that causes them to reset, but think about it... Earthbound? There is no way that Nintendo would have put that game out for people just to putz around in because it is an RPG that you have to see a little of to understand what you're doing. And at a ten minute reset pace, it would be impossible to beat the game -- remember, you can only save when you call home.

At best, this guy's SNES is broken.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, that crossed my mind also, Dan....but I assume he tried the game in several other SNES's to see if the same thing happened.

I believe that it IS a bad game, I just never heard of a game doing that before.

Still, I sent the seller a question asking him about these things. I'll see what he has to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea...I did not mean to sound like an ass...it is just I have never heard of a game internally resetting...I personally own a SNES DEMO DISPLAY UNIT and it has a mechanism in which i can set how long people can play...All demo games I have are the full version

Mike

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer

No, the Starfox demo carts didn't reset at a time interval -- the game was only five minutes long no matter what. If you did well, you got further. If you did poorly, you didn't get too far. There was no way to extend your time -- that was built in. (note: I have one, so this is coming from someone who has played it for a long time)

I wouldn't doubt that there may be some games with an internal thing that causes them to reset, but think about it... Earthbound? There is no way that Nintendo would have put that game out for people just to putz around in because it is an RPG that you have to see a little of to understand what you're doing. And at a ten minute reset pace, it would be impossible to beat the game -- remember, you can only save when you call home.

At best, this guy's SNES is broken.
    There are a lot of Pokemon RPG demos to eyeball. Also he could save so yeah it's possible to beat the came "IF" it resets every ten minutes. Or what, you can't call home ten minutes into the game? Maybe his is special, he says he was able to beat it by saving a lot. Who knows, oh wait the seller might.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if the game had always reset after 10 mins, surely he would have taken it back..
    I think the reset is a feature this cart has recently aquired,
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm maybe, I wonder if it is always at ten minute mark without fail or only intermittendly at around ten minutes. I could care leass though after all this talking it to the ground.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

arent the demo cartridges also labeled as a demo? mean i've seen the word demo infront of the starwing demo cartridge.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chronodriftersx
    There are a lot of Pokemon RPG demos to eyeball. Also he could save so yeah it's possible to beat the came "IF" it resets every ten minutes. Or what, you can't call home ten minutes into the game? Maybe his is special, he says he was able to beat it by saving a lot. Who knows, oh wait the seller might.
    Pokemon was basically Nintendo's baby that also got cartoons, toys, a card game and so on. Earthbound had none of that. It is a little different.

And no, you can't call home every ten minutes into the game. Phones are placed at various intervals. One of the cut scenes alone (with the Runaway Five) takes probably fifteen minutes to play through, not even including looking for a phone. There are other times where you'll be in caves for thirty minutes with no chance of reaching a phone.

It would be impossible to beat the game with saves only every 10 minutes if you were playing the real thing.

EDIT: Thinking about it, after you leave your house you spend more than ten minutes getting the background on the meteor that hit the ground and what is going on, so even then you couldn't save if the game reset if ten minutes.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the game may have a problem that happend when the game was created, do all earthbounds have this problem? No. So this one would be more rare then others.
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....HEY EVERY BODY BROKEN GAMES ARE RARE NOW...BE ALERT!!! I have a Sonic 2 not for resale that was hit by a car in front of toysrus....I AM SURE IT IS RARE....DEF RARE....sTARTING BID 3000000 DOLLARS!!!

GET BACK TO ME!! x_x

Mike

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

At least the seller was kind enough to be polite to me in answering and posting my question.

Best I could do, guys.