Thread: Sleeper of the Week: Icebreaker (3DO)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sleeper of the Week: Icebreaker (3DO)

Ok, for the Sleeper of the Week this week, we've got a lesser known system as well as a lesser known title. We're talking about the exorbitantly priced (at least at launch) 3D0 today! Now, many people either ignore the 3D0 as a matter of course, or simply don't know anything about it besides that it died and doesn't have all that many domestic titles. Actually, there are quite a few titles for the 3D0 and many of them are surprisingly good and exclusive to the system.

The one we're focusing on today is none other than Magnet Interactive's (no I've never really heard of them either) disturbingly addictive puzzle game, Icebreaker. A game in which you...well...shoot pyramids. With a pyramid.

Sounds stupid, no? Well, it looks silly too...at first. But beneath the absolutely bizarre exterior lies an extremely complex and challenging single player puzzle game, the likes of which you've never seen before. Essentially, the game is to destroy a field of pyramids. You pilot a pyramid on it's side that fires single blasts of plasma and fires them slowly, so you have to be careful. And at first it's easy because all you're faced with are a few pyramids. Red ones that can be shot, blue ones that can be driven through with your pyramid, green ones that you can't do anything to, but can be destroyed by yellow pyramids, which are called Seekers or Yellers (get it, yellers?). Oh yeah, and the Seekers hunt you. They lurk behind reds and blues waiting for a chance to pounce on you. I told you this game is weird!

All of the sudden without warning you'll end up being chased through the rows of pyramids by twisting yellow pyramids. They're smart too...they'll end up trapping you if you're not careful. And then more types get thrown in the mix. Sneaky pyramids that move out of the way of obstacles....smart pyramids, ones that turn into pit traps, and even ones that camouflage themselves as other types of pyramids. It gets fast, frantic and crazy, a mad scramble to clear the field of stationary pyramids (some of which are trapped) while trying to avoid the forces hunting you down methodically. And did I mention terrain effects too? Ice, swamps, and other obstacles in your way, slowing you from your goal of complete pyramid annihiliation. It's all quite difficult!

There's no plot. There's not much music. There's really not much to the graphics. But this game is somethings special. Solid gameplay all the way, and damned hard. And 150 levels to beat on four levels of difficulty: Easy, Medium, Hard, and Insane. Pretty much that's the entire game....destroy as many pyramids as you can as fast as you can, and move on. I'm not sure if it's some sort of ethnic cleansing or what, but that's your goal. And it's a blast to play! Definitely one of the more forgotten puzzle games out there. I managed to pick up my copy of this one almost eight years ago in a bargain bin at a local Babbages for $5.00 brand new. I'm not sure what it goes for now or how hard it is to find, but if you're into unique puzzlers or have a 3D0 at all, you owe it to yourself to pick up this little known gem.

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Icebreaker is my favorite 3D0 game of all-time. I actually spent 2 weeks straight playing it back in 2001, trying to beat as many levels as I could on insane mode!

There is a ton of info (straight from the creator of Icebreaker!) at http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Andy/I...cebreaker.html

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Damnit, I looked on eBay for it and the only seller with a complete copy is Video Game Liquidators. I freakin hate those guys!!!!!!

And for the record the 3do is a cool little system.

Chris

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive eyeballed this game several times and just never felt like taking star control out of the machine. i guess i might try it now with the reveiw making it sound so good. ill let you know what i think..

thanks for the suggestion...i seem to always neglect the old 3DO

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

I <3 Icebreaker. I have only played the PC version, and didn't even know there was a 3D0 version until now. Just another reason to eventually pick a 3D0 up...
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    Damnit, I looked on eBay for it and the only seller with a complete copy is Video Game Liquidators. I freakin hate those guys!!!!!!
    Going off subject, but yes I have to agree with you. I won my copy of "in the Hunt" off of them on ebay and had to return it 2 times to them. Though that wasn't the actually probelm. The real reason I dislike them is that each time I sent my game back they claimed that they would reimburse me the money for shipping. did they? No.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey! That does sound pretty cool! I dunno why I never picked this one up, so I'll have to look for it. I hope it's not rare or something now! Currently the only puzzle game that I have for 3DO is Trip'd, one of the best Puyo Puyo games that I've ever played. Another little known gem worth looking for!

P.S.: Do any of you happen to go by the ebay handle of general.ursus ? I don't wanna horn in on somebody else's heart's desire if they're from here.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can it really be a sleeper, when the console itself was a sleeper???

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds awesome! I'm always looking for unique puzzle games, since they far too often use the same old formulas. This might actually give me the reason I've been looking for to keep my 3DO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GobopopRevisited
    Can it really be a sleeper, when the console itself was a sleeper???
    Yup, there were several very successful titles on the 3D0. This is one of the lesser known ones

and glad to help, Keir!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is the reason I had to buy a second 3DO. My mom got so hooked on this that when I moved out of their house after college, she made me leave my 3DO and Icebreakers! She still plays it to this day. I never got into it as much as she did, but it is a great game. I'd dare say in the same class as Return Fire as far as fun!