Thread: 10 Rarest Games on Gamespy.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 10 Rarest Games on Gamespy.com

Gamespy runs a little piece about rare Videogames right here: http://www.gamespy.com/top10/december02/grails/, its an interesting list I'd say.
    Can you guess whats on #1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

THose MORONS called Radiant Silvergun rare, as well as Drac X for the Duo!! Neither of those bloody games are rare! When will people realized that??? >
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without even looking at the list, I can safely claim PSO for GC is the rarest game this year. Think about this: it's been out since end of October and a lot of people have never seen one in stores at all. It's been going for quite a lot on eBay (like $75 or so)
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    THose MORONS called Radiant Silvergun rare, as well as Drac X for the Duo!! Neither of those bloody games are rare! When will people realized that??? >
    Did you read Cassidy's opening statement? These are "grails", not necessarily the rarest of the lot but rare games WITH history. Nowhere does it say that these are the ten RAREST games ever.

I thought the same thing at first: "ugh, not Chuck Wagon", but after reading his opening paragraph the list fits pretty well.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems like a pretty accurate list. I'm missing panzer dragoon saga though. And Stadium events. But of course some titles have to be left out in a top 10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you read Cassidy's opening statement? These are "grails", not necessarily the rarest of the lot but rare games WITH history. Nowhere does it say that these are the ten RAREST games ever.
    Thanks for coming to my defense Joe. And you're right, the list wasn't supposed to be the absolute RAREST games out there, but games that are desired by collectors because of their history, playability (well, in some cases), and things like that -- of course, they had to be a LITTLE hard to come by. In some ways it's meant to be a list of games that are famous for being collectible, even if they aren't the rarest. Also I wanted to include a survey of games from different consoles in different genres.

I'm sure it's not a perfect llist by any means, but it's hard to do a complete survey of collectibles in 10 items, not to mention the fact that I was under a deadline when I wrote it. That said, I'd love to hear some forum members' Top 10 lists and see how they stack up against mine.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I think the title sums it up very nicely:

Top Ten Gaming Grails.

Though we'd all admit, William too if you read the artcile, there are far rarer games than these, they all qualify as grails. Personally I could give a toss about the NWC or Genny Phantasy Star, but there's no denying that these are scarce and in demand by nearly all collectors of their respective systems or genres.

Well done.

(But I guess I'm not a "real" Saturn collector because I refuse to shell out eBay prices for Radiant Silvergun :P )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o2william

Thanks for coming to my defense Joe. And you're right, the list wasn't supposed to be the absolute RAREST games out there, but games that are desired by collectors because of their history, playability (well, in some cases), and things like that -- of course, they had to be a LITTLE hard to come by. In some ways it's meant to be a list of games that are famous for being collectible, even if they aren't the rarest. Also I wanted to include a survey of games from different consoles in different genres.
    Fair enough. I was rather impulsive, especially since I recently played RS for the first time and HATED it. Those are grails to many collectors, true enough. But the article does also say that they are all rare towards the beginning and RS and Drac X are NOT rare at all. Both had heavy print runs, and are only invery high demand, not rare. I withdraw my "morons? statement however My apologies.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o2william
    ....not to mention the fact that I was under a deadline when I wrote it.
    so, your actually the guy who wrote it. Even more so, your from classicgaming.com. Nice, I always loved the work over at that site and I could go on and on with questions about your work - but that be really fanboyish and has no place here I guess....but yeah, good work...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote from http://www.gamespy.com/top10/december02/grails/
    regarding Radiant Silvergun:

"Simply put: you're not a real Saturn collector unless you've shelled out over a hundred bucks for this game."

I guess I'm a loser for paying $79.99 for mine, eh? And for finding not one, but TWO copies for $5 a piece in a used game store last year.

All bragging aside, I'd like to say that I really liked William's article, and I know from experience that writing an informative piece about something as multi-faceted as game collecting is INCREDIBLY difficult (especially when you have space constraints). It's easy for us to pick apart generalizations he made, such as the one I quoted above, or the games he listed that "weren't all that rare!". Keep in mind that he probably wrote a first draft with waaaay too much info, and had to colorize, edit, and hack off parts that would confuse and bore Casual Gamer X. An article featuring 10 Stadium Events or Tooth Protectors might be more accurate representation of game COLLECTING, not GAMING grails, but it wouldn't be anywhere as entertaining. So I'd like to say, fuggin awesome article O2william! I'll buy you a beer if you're ever in the 'hood.[/i]