Thread: Typical prices of used consoles from 2600 to XBOX????

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Typical prices of used consoles from 2600 to XBOX????

I'm trying to work on a report on the average cost of used consoles. All the major consoles from the Atari 2600 to the XBOX. I could use any and all suggestions on this.

The price that I'm trying to determine for each console, is if you wanted to get one of these consoles, and you were willing to search all the various avenues and try to find the best possible deal. From paying full retail for a used console at a place like a GameStop, all the way to getting one at a Garage Sale.

Basically, the price that you are likely to have to pay for a used system, if you were a bargain hunter, and you took some time to try to find the best possible deal, of course, within reason.

When I'm talking about a used system, I'm talking about the system itself, in addition to a power cable and some type of video cable, and one controller. Basically, the bare minimum to have the thing up and running, if you had a game to play on it, but not including any games or extra stuff.

Ok, lets look at the sytems that I'm interested in:

1. Atari 2600 - $15 - Alot less if you can find it locally, and don't have to pay shipping.

2. Intellivision - I honestly don't have the slightest idea

3. Colecovision - Again, I don't have the slightest idea

4. NES - $20 - This is to get one locally, that has all the necessary hook ups. Sure you can find them much cheaper all by themself, but I'm talking about ones that have the power adapter and RF thing and at least one controller. Sometimes you can find them at Garage Sales for like 5 bucks, and sometimes a thrift store will want $25 for one. I'm going to say that $20 is good to get one with all the hookups.

5. Sega Master System - I never see these, I saw one at a thrift store, but it was a bare console. I don't know what the going rate is for these, and likely it would have to be the going rate on Ebay, with shipping included, because I don't find these locally in the wild.

6. TurboGrafx-16 - $30 - TG-16's are very hard to find in the wild, you pretty much have to go the Ebay route, and it's very hard to get one with all the hookups for less than $30, when the shipping is factored in.

7. Sega Genesis - $10 - The only reason I'm saying $10, is because you need the hookups. I can find Genny's all over the place for like $5 each, but usually they have no hookups.

8. Super Nintendo - $20 - I'm going to average it to $20 , because if you hit alot of Garage sales, you can find them cheaper, but thrift stores don't give usually have the SNES systems really low in price. And if you have to go Ebay, the shipping adds some cost.

9. Sega CD - $25 - I'm talking about just the Sega CD part, not the genesis part. Sometimes you can find Sega CD's for pretty good prices, but there isn't tons of them in the wild, and the shipping adds up, when you go Ebay.

10. 3DO - $45 - The 3DO is pretty damn expensive. I never see any in the wild, and they aren't cheap on Ebay. With shipping and everything, and the necessary cables, I'm going to say an average of $45

11. Atari Jaguar - $40 - Again, here is another expensive system that you just don't find in the wild very often. Pretty damn expensive on Ebay, when you add in the shipping.

12. Sega Saturn - $20 - I'm going with an average of $20, sometimes I will find a Saturn at a thrift for very cheap, and sometimes you can get them at a GameCrazy for $20, and there is always Ebay. But with the shipping on Ebay, it might go more towards $25

13. Playstation (old style) - $25 - The old style PSX don't seem to be as popular anymore, people like the new smaller version for the convience, so I'm seeing more of the old style PSX's going for around $25 or so with all hookups.

14. PSone (new version) - $30 - This is about the average price for a PSone with necessary hookups.

15. Nintendo 64 - $15 - I'm going with $15, unless you have to pay shipping. It seems that there are tons of N64's floating around, and people really don't want them.

16. Dreamcast - $25 - It used to be easy to find used Dreamcasts for $19.99 at places like GameStop and GameCrazy, but I haven't seen one at either chain in a long time. On Ebay, they go for more and then you have the shipping. So I'm going with an average price of $25

17. PS2 (old style) - $100 - Hard to get any used PS2 for less than $120 at a retail place, but in the classifieds you can probably get one for about $90, for the old school version. So I'm going with an average of $100 for the old version.

18. PS2 (new style) - $140 - Probably very few new versions that have been traded in, or are being sold. So I think you only get 10 bucks off if you can find one.

19. XBOX - $115 - You can buy them used for $119.99 at some places, and in the classifieds, probably about $105 or so.

20. GameCube - $70 - This is an interesting one, because with some of the bundle deals being offered, it might be better to just pay extra and get a new one. Or get a new one on sale. I'm not sure if you get that much of a break buying one used. Until you can get used ones with all the hookups for $55 or $60, it might be better to try to find a good deal on a new one, in terms of being on sale, or a special bundle or something.

Ok, these are my guesses for these systems, what are yours, and if any of my guesses look particularly off the mark, please let me know and explain.

Atari 2600 - $15
    Intellivision - $30 (total guess)
    Colecovision - $35 (total guess)
    NES - $20
    Sega Master System - $25 (total guess)
    TurboGrafx-16 - $30
    Genesis - $10
    SNES - $20
    Sega CD - $25
    3DO - $45
    Jaguar - $40
    32X - $30 (with the hard to find little cable)
    Saturn - $20
    PS1 original - $25
    PSone - $30
    Nintendo 64 - $15
    Dreamcast - $25
    PS2 original - $100
    PStwo - $135
    XBOX - $115
    GameCube - $70

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is very subjective and varies widely.

I'd consider something else if I were you, this would be basically a impossible task, and would vary terribly, making it not be very useful.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im gonna give an in general idea of some prices ive seen in the wild for some consoles

N64 $15-20
    DC $15-20
    NES $10-20
    PS1 $20-25
    PS2 $80-110
    XB $90-110
    SNES $15-25
    SAT $30-40

And ive seen one Panasonic 3d0 complete in box at a pawn shop but the owner said he was holding it for a friend but it was 50 bucks. And ive seen to Atari Jaguars in the wild 1 at a mom and pop electronics store that didnt work. And one at the same pawn shop at the 3do complete with box but that was being held for his friend to. When I saw them I almost cried i was so happy becuase ive been collecting since May 2003 and ive gone to a bunch of pawn shops and what not and looked in the paper and flea markets but I hardly ever make a big haul or big find. So i asked how much they were and he told me and said he was holding them for one of his "regulars" but if said i could come back the next day around 11 to see if the customer came in to pick it up and he said if the customer didnt show I could buy it. I came back the next day the guy said he should be there soon I waited around like half an hour low and behold the guy showed up.

But ive had a few good finds at pawn shops one of my better finds being a complete accident just because he had a 32X so i picked it up with a handfull of games and ending up geting spiderman web of fire complete mint without knowing the DP guide said it was worth like 80 dollars i think. dont quote me on the price

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about a Japanese MSX II? Me lookin' to buy one, and I'm looking for a general price range (Boxed / Mint / Brand Spankin' New)

Off-Topic, but Where might I find one???? Ebay has been bone-dry since I've been looking. Thanks!!

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarianoutkast85
    SAT $30-40

I think your price for a Saturn is quite a bit high. You should be able to find one on Ebay, if you are patient, for about $28 with shipping and everything. I've seen them sometimes at GameCrazy for $19.99. I've also seen some at thrift stores for about $10 or so.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not trying to be a jerk, but after 20 threads with similar content, how about changing one to:

'i want to open a game store and currently know nothing about it. would someone who does please tell me everything there is to know. prices, legal issues, where i should put it, what i can expect for rent, where to advertise, what to carry, what is my target demographic, etc.'

i am interested in opening a store too, but it seems it would be easier to get this all out of the way at once....

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbertandernie
    not trying to be a jerk, but after 20 threads with similar content, how about changing one to:

'i want to open a game store and currently know nothing about it. would someone who does please tell me everything there is to know. prices, legal issues, where i should put it, what i can expect for rent, where to advertise, what to carry, what is my target demographic, etc.'

i am interested in opening a store too, but it seems it would be easier to get this all out of the way at once....
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend got me a model 1 master system at a local gamestore (well next town over) for christmas at the price of $20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here are my guesses based on ebay:

Atari 2600 - $20
    Intellivision - $20
    Colecovision - $25
    NES - $25
    Sega Master System - $25
    TurboGrafx-16 - $30
    Genesis - $15
    SNES - $25
    Sega CD - $25
    3DO - $35
    Jaguar - $40
    32X - $30
    Saturn - $5
    PS1 original - $15
    PSone - $30
    Nintendo 64 - $15
    Dreamcast - $20
    PS2 original - $80
    PStwo - $120
    XBOX - $120
    GameCube - $70

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamemaster5378's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont know how you guys are finding stuff that cheap!
    Heres what I've paid for some of my systems, and they were all local.

Atari 2600 $40
    PSone new style $50
    TG-16 $70
    NES $40
    Genesis $25
    Snes $25
    32X $30
    Dreamcast $40
    N64 $15

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the cost of a PS1 is way over. It should be about the same as a Sega Genesis. Most people dumped them when they buy a PS2

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbertandernie

Hey, you have to give me some credit for at least trying to disguise my posts! Certainly, a good majority of my posts lately have been of the "information gathering" type, but I've done tons and tons of posts on here that have absolutely nothing to do with opening a gaming store.

It's just that recently I've been working on a plan to open a gaming store, and it's dominating all my thoughts. So naturally, my posts would reflect that to some degree.

But to answer your actual question, I don't think that one post about "everything to know about opening a game store" would work. You would probably get about 25 replies, with a 1/3 rd of those having actual information of use, and then it would be forgotten about and lost in the shuffle.

It's much better to disguise your posts using guerrila tactics to try to answer your most burning questions.

he he

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is, almost all of your questions can EASILY be googled or ebay'ed.
    That's all most of these replies are coming from (not this thread, all of em) Either that or just plain common sense.

How much do systems go for. Well, I can get a dusty atari 2600 with no controllers, games, or cables that looks like the dog shit on it for less than $1. I can also get a boxed complete near new heavy sixer for a couple hundred.

And that goes for EVERY system. It completely depends on where you're getting them, what comes with them, and what condition they're in. You just asked the equivilent of

"how much do used ATV's generally cost, 4 wheelers, three wheelers, dirtbikes, and snowmobiles, any make or model in the past 25 years in any condition?"
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

My local store sells:

NES-$46
    SNES-$39.99
    Saturn/Sega CD: $32.98

They are a ripoff!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa Husker
    My local store sells:

NES-$46
    SNES-$39.99

They are a ripoff!
    Damn that's high.
    Where I work we sell NESes 24.99CAN$ and SNESes 19.99CAN$

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa Husker
    My local store sells:

NES-$46
    SNES-$39.99

They are a ripoff!
    Holy crap! Then again, IIRC, there is a game store near me that is pretty wacky with it's prices. I can usually get a good deal on game carts and video game controllers, but some of the popular/rare games are insanely priced. Anyway, I can't remember the prices they charge for all their systems, but I do remember them charging either $39.99 or $49.99 for a used Dreamcast

Just your basic Dreamcast, with the AC plug, AV cables, and 1 controller...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    here are my guesses based on ebay:

32X - $30
    Saturn - $5

lol

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2600 prices are way off. You can pick them up for dirt cheap on ebay and I wouldn't pay more than $10 for one, unless it was boxed/complete etc.

Responding to the person who said they've never seen a 3D0 in the wild: I've actually found two 3D0 systems in the wild but didn't buy either. One was at Goodwill and I forget the price, but it was probably $25 to $35. The other was at a flea market and was only $10. I really - REALLY - should have bought the $10 one. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

prices are never that cheap around here. average:

genesis - $10-15
    nes - $40
    snes - $35
    dreamcast - $15-20
    saturn - $50
    ps1 - $15-20
    psone - $20-25
    ps2 - $80-110
    xbox - $110
    gamecube - $50

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Are we getting paid for all this research we're doing for your future business?