Thread: DMA Design/Rockstar North

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DMA Design/Rockstar North

DMA(Doesn't Mean Anything) Design hasn't made a huge number of games but they have certainly left their mark on game design, inspiring many other developers. I doubt many(if any) of the same people are at the company today compared to their early years but I think it's still interesting to look at the evolution of the company.

David Jones founded this Scotland-based developer in 1989 and started making computer games for a publisher called Psygnosis. Their first games were the computer shooters Menace and Blood Money, best known by their Amiga versions. These games weren't among the best shooters of their time but they were still pretty good.

Menace(1988)

Blood Money(1989)

In 1991, DMA changed the puzzle game landscape forever with their Amiga game Lemmings. In this game you had make sure as many lemmings made it to the goal as possible. You could assign skills to them like bridge-building or parachuting. The little guys were so appealing because they were so smoothly animated. They don't look anything like real-life lemmings though.

Lemmings had several ports and sequels and managed to be a hit wherever it went.

Hired Guns came out for Amiga and PC in 1993. It was a unique sci-fi Action/RPG in which you controlled four different characters using four different first-person view screens. It could even be played multiplayer by four people simultaneously.

Walker was released for the Amiga in 1993. I consider this DMA's most underrated game. It was a side-scrolling mech action game controlled with a mouse/joystick combination. The detail was incredible and I loved shooting down those puny humans.

DMA ventured out of Psygnosis' hand and into console territory in 1994 when they made SNES unicycle racing game Unirally for Nintendo of Europe. I did think it was funny back then that the game wouldn't let you choose "Sega" or "Sonic" as your name. Unirally was released in North America as Uniracers.

DMA is no stranger to controversy. I read in an interview with David Jones that many people were offended by the 666 level in Lemmings and it was even complained about on American TV by people claiming the game was Satanic. DMA knew their next game might cause some controversy.

In 1997, the first Grand Theft Auto game was released for PC, a "mission based crime sim" as the box says. It was an overhead view action game where you stole cars and did various crime missions. I never thought much of it. It was more than just a violence gimmick but I never really got into it or considered it a great game.

GTA was ported to Playstation soon afterwards and had a similar 2d sequel.

Body Harvest(Nintendo 64, 1998)
    This was a nice mix of third-person alien bug shooting and vehicular action. I have the game but I haven't played much of it yet.

Space Station Silicon Valley(Nintendo 64, 1998)
    I haven't played this yet but it's supposed to be a good platform game.

Wild Metal Country was released for PC, Nintendo 64, and Dreamcast in 1999. I only played the demo but it seemed like a decent vehicular action game.

Love it or hate it, 2001's Grand Theft Auto III for the Playstation 2 has left its mark on gaming big-time. Personally, I think it's one of the best games of this era. The game was in such a league above its 2d predecessors that it doesn't even seem right to talk about them in the same breath. The huge 3d city was a joy to explore and the player freedom was something console gaming needed. GTA3 was also ported to PC and Xbox.

DMA Design was bought by Take-Two Interactive, the publisher that owns Rockstar Games. DMA officially changed their name to Rockstar North in 2002.

GTA3 was followed by the glitchy but still very impressive Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. It was a prequel in story to GTA3 and took place in the '80s.

Manhunt was a violent stealth game for PS2, Xbox and PC.

Currently I'm playing through GTA: San Andreas. It can never wow me to the extent that playing GTA3 for the first time did but there are so many improvements to make it the best one yet. I love vast and ambitious games like this.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on DMA/Rockstar North?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I never would have guessed the people who made Space Station Sillicon Valley would later create the GTA series on the PS2.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Nice work digging up DMA's history! I have Body harvest and it is a pretty fun underappericated title.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woah, I didn't know that DMA did Uniracers. I've never come across a game that could destroy your thumbs faster than that one...

dbiersdorf: How so? SSSV is one sadistic game. It's just candy-coated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't even know DMA made as many games as they did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lemmings is still one of the most demented puzzlers ever created. I think that game holds the record for the longest ending: an endless string of text that rambles on and on and on. It's damn funny, but I can' t imagine that anyone saw it without cheat codes.

Their N64 games were well-received (Next Gen game Silicon Valley five stars) and are quirky enough, but I haven't spent enough time with them. Thank you very much, cheap graphics card.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you play Body Harvest, you can actually see that there are some things about it that are similar to the GTA 3 series.

Mainly the fact that the little guy could jump into all kinds of vehicles and drive them.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DMA never got the attention they deserved as all the praise went to the publishers.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMG ... Walker!

Thanks for reminding me of that one ... what a great game!! I absolutely loved it! Made such a satisfying change to not be the small guy taking on the impossibly large foes, but to be the big evil motha' with the hordes of tiny little humans desperately trying to stop you .. mwahahaha!

Stamping on those little soldiers was great fun ... and shooting down the dudes who try to abseil down from the helicopters onto your cockpit.

Or mowing down hordes of footsoldiers with a sweeping arc of machine gun fire.

Aaaaaah, those were the days!

Vroomfunkel

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Body harvest is vertualy GTA in the future. You can drive planes bikes cars vans etc. the bike is easily the best specially wen u crash. I loved this game but it was just to dam hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked Body Harvest as well.

There's supposedly a building in GTA SA in Las Venturas where people jump off ala Lemmings...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Walker actually has a cameo in Lemmings 2: The Tribes.

DMA still did Lemmings Chronicles / All New World of Lemmings, right? I don't think they had anything to do with 3D Lemmings or Lemmings Revolution.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uniracers rocks!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Did they have anything to do with "Oh no, more Lemmings!" as well then?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

why the name change then? or was it a buy out? didnt they make sensible world of soccer to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Did they have anything to do with "Oh no, more Lemmings!" as well then?
    I imagine so. (And there's the Lemmings Holiday specials too, of couse.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grayrobertos
    why the name change then? or was it a buy out? didnt they make sensible world of soccer to?
    Sensible World of Soccer was made by Sensible Software, the Cannon Fodder fellas. (Cannon Fodder rocks.) No relation to DMA Design other than a fondness for very small people and/or critters.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

(Cool, you've been reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves! Charming book; I hope to find a cheap hardcover edition one of these days.)