Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sega CD Setup help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok got everything open, found the fuse...

Can I check the fuse to make sure it's the problem with a multimeter?

Secondly, where do I get a replacement fuse? I opened up a Genesis model 2, but I don't see anything like that in there at all. I've got a model 1 I could open up, would that have it?

Thanks!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes, if you don't have a multimeter, a 9v battery with an xmas light will do the trick. And yes, i've done it several times and haven't fryed anything.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait.

Before you start working on replacing the fuse and the CD, I must ask, do you have the metal plate for the Sega Genesis II to work on the Sega CD II poped and screwed properly into place on the botton of your Genesis? There is a metal plate that can withe the Sega CD II to hook onto your Sega Genesis that, I think, is proably required for the systems to work together. I have heard that this is unneeded, but whenever I have tried my Sega CD II on one of my Genesis II systems without it, it has never worked for me. With the plate however everything works great for me!

It is also possibe to hook a Genesis I to a CD II, as you have asked. The base extension that has been previously mentioned, while not required, will make the set-up look better and be safer (as in, when playing a cartridge it will be harder to shake the genny and mess up the game). This is where the mixing port by the CD AV outputs comes in. I know that the mixing cable is required to get CD sound to your Genesis I 's headphone jack, but i do not know for sure if it is required.

I also would like to offer you scans or retypes of any section (primairly the hooking-up-the-system sections) of an exclent condition Sega CD II User's Manual, and/or Sega Genesis II User's Manual (I am pretty sure to the location of these in my room, but if I am wrong, I promis to look for them till I find them for you). Just tell me so, and I am willing to e-mail you.

Hope I helped.

SuperShark

P.S.
    Sorry that this is so long. I just started typing and could not stop! Wait. You See!?! I'm doing it again! I'm still typing! someone help me! Please. Wait. Wait. Wait! I'm still going on!!! Must Stop!!! *Hits self in head several time* *Hits a very long *SUBMIT**

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1) Yep. Each unit needs to be supplied with power
    Sega CD 2 power supply. MK-1602 (Model 1 genny also)
    Genesis 2 power supply. MK-2103
    32X power supply. MK-2103
    I don't know but, My model 1 genny and my SegaCD 2, have 2 different power supplys.
    Model MK-1602 : Input 120V AC 60HZ 20W Output 10V DC 1.2 A
    Model 1602-1 (no MK on power supply) Input 120V AC 60HZ 16W
    Output 9V DC 1.2A

Maybe there interchangeable, but you might want to try finding the same specs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For all intents those are equivalent power supplys. The output is the thing to look at, along with the polarity. 1V isn't usually going to make a big difference, since the function of the power supply is to feed the voltage regulators which typically have a wide operating range of input voltages.

The nice thing about the Genesis-era power supplies is that they usually won't fit if they're incorrect. A Gen2 power supply won't easily fit in a Gen1 and vice-versa.

RE: Metal plate. You really don't need the plate to get the CD unit working. It's possible that with the extra thickness, you have have improved or altered the connection to the EXT BUS and gotten those connections to work better, but I've ran plenty of Sega CD units without the plates in place (and so have many other folk).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Drat.

Tried switching out the fuse! Took me forever, since I didn't have a precision soldering iron that I desperately needed. Still doesn't work =(

Probably going to save up some dough and send it in to the repair place suggested before

Anybody know any in America from these boards? I'd rather not pay for shipping to and from Canada.