Thread: Most important horisontal scrolling shooters in their evolut

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Most important horisontal scrolling shooters in their evolut

(forgive my spelling, please - I`m (hope) not dumb, but not perfect at foreign languages)
    I`m working on text about history of horisontal shoot`em ups and I have a problem - there`s nothing to write about! As far as I know there can be taken only few games that pushed this genre: Scramble, Vanguard, Gradius (Nemesis) and R-Type. You can also eliminate R-Type from this list if you think that it is only overtalked sadistic clone of Gradius. There was A LOT shoot`em ups and near all of them were clones, and there were no revolutions after Nemesis. Am I right?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's a thread that might help:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...=41542&start=0

Here's a shooter web site:

http://www.classicgaming.com/shmups/

If you are looking for "revolutions", think about the games that came in the late 90s that used 3D graphics (even though they were still 2D games), like Einhander and ThunderForce 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Defender(1980) needs a mention.

Space Odyssey(1981) came out the same year as Scramble and Vanguard although it was a horizontal/vertical mix.

I think Darius(1986) did multiple monitor screens first for the genre although I don't know if you can say that was that important.

Fantasy Zone(1986) might have introduced the item shop as I can't think of anything earlier off hand.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Darius...also Axelay has a mix of horizontal and vertical screens.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

R-Type. Don't really know how "revolutionary" it is but it's popularity has managed to last through several consoles.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Metal Slug series.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    I think Defender(1980) needs a mention.
    Yes, it will be mentioned, but I think that Defender is technically horisontal shmup, but not by gameplay - in Defender you don`t need to go to the end of level and blast a boss. There also not only technical but gameplay difference between horisontal and vertical shooters - in horisontal shooters setting and background details play role of hasards and may be (always are) more damaging than enemy`s fighters. On the other hand in vertical shmups you can fly over ground without a care most of time.

Space Odyssey(1981) came out the same year as Scramble and Vanguard although it was a horizontal/vertical mix..
    These games released several months after Scramble, as far as Arcade-History knows.

I think Darius(1986) did multiple monitor screens first for the genre although I don't know if you can say that was that important.
    It may be Scramble clone if talking about gameplay, when talking about feature - see comment on FZ. V

Fantasy Zone(1986) might have introduced the item shop as I can't think of anything earlier off hand.
    Hmm... As shop`s haven`t stated as a rule after Fantasy Zone release, it can`t be put in chain or something. But now I`m thinking, it may be better to tell a story with parallel talking about trends and about stimple games that can grab attention, but not let much followers.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there were also "shops" in Ordyne and U.N. Squadron, if memory serves.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can you not mention Thunderforce? I'm not familiar with the original, but you can't say that Gradius & R-Type pushed the genre without saying that Thunderforce pushed the genre too. I'd say Darius as well, and I agree about Axelay. Also, if you're gonna mention Scramble, then Super Cobra is worth a mention, and if you're gonna mention Defender then Stargate is worth a mention. Of course those last two are basically just sequels, but they're still worth a mention. Probably worth it to mention Parodius too, and surely Choaniki is something that should be discussed! You may not want to go there though, especially if this is for school, unless it's for college. Maybe you should mention Moon Patrol also, I'd say that one was influential too.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    How can you not mention Thunderforce? I'm not familiar with the original, but you can't say that Gradius & R-Type pushed the genre without saying that Thunderforce pushed the genre too. I'd say Darius as well, and I agree about Axelay. Also, if you're gonna mention Scramble, then Super Cobra is worth a mention, and if you're gonna mention Defender then Stargate is worth a mention. Of course those last two are basically just sequels, but they're still worth a mention. Probably worth it to mention Parodius too, and surely Choaniki is something that should be discussed! You may not want to go there though, especially if this is for school, unless it's for college. Maybe you should mention Moon Patrol also, I'd say that one was influential too.
    The original Thunderforce wasn't horizontal, it was one of those 360 degree type of shooters and it sucked. III was the first really good one...I don't know if I would say it pushed the genre, but it did raise the bar for shooters on the Genesis. I think if he was going to leave TF out on the grounds that it's still a lot like Gradius, it would be understandable.