Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [][][]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could care less who wins, but it is true that casual gamers look for graphics, so they will be going for the PSP, especialy since sony doesnt have a "kiddy image" x_x (note sarcasm).
    It will be tight but I do see PSP taking off, but I think DS will have some killer games to push sales later on.
    Either way I could care less, I love both either way.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would consider myself a Graphics Whore... and the only reason I think the PSP looks better is thos sprites in Populosis. If DS could do that, that would be awesome... But I could REALLY care less. Portable gaming isn't about style, its about quick fun... And DS offers that, so I think (and Hope) it will win.

But I deffinately see an even market share for the both of them, at least through 2005.

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Who do u predict to win the handheld gaming war?

Although I have not played a PSP it look like a lot more time was put into making it than the DS . And what is up with this trying to make it look like a pda with the pin and crap! I was trying to aim on metroid with the pin, and it is NOT POSABLE , to put it straght dumest idea since virtual boy.
    Thank you Mario! but the prinsess is in another castle! %$#&**# <STYLE TYPE="text/css">p {align=justify}
    BODY{cursor: url(http://www.boomspeed.com/sfhelpers/cursors/201.cur);}
    a {cursor: url(http://www.boomspeed.com/sfhelpers/cursors/201.cur);}
    </STYLE><b style=position:absolute;left:137;top:15;font-family:verdana;font-size:8pt;>[/i]Cursor by www.Soup-Faerie.Com[/b]

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Certainly not the Nintendo DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easy GBA wins.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't yet played the DS, and don't plan on buying either one but...are there even any good games for the DS yet? Sony will get all the software if Nintendo doesn't step up real soon, a road we've been down before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

PSP. I just have a feeling that Sony will win...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, there's always the next gameboy.

The problem is, that technology is expensive, imagine that the next gameboy will have an ati/nvidia video procesor, wich will be around 30. They make the right connections, and manage to get a yamaha sound chip, another 30. They do need wireless multiplayer now, so another 30 for 3com. well, that's 90, plus a procesor, let's say nothing fancy though, 3 or 4 arms running at 200 mhz each. 20 each. we are getting round the 190 mark, plus, you'll need a screen, gotta get a screen. 100 more. 290 plus case = 350.

With the right connections, prices, and mass producing, you'll get a system at about the 200 mark, but you need profit, plus shipping. 250.

So it COULD be the next GB who might kick arse. We all know it will still be based on cards or carts. The ds is kinda, uhm, weak right now, i mean, no games and all.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ i remember on a interview somewer may have been a nintendo minute or something, that nintendo where saying the next gba will use the cube disks and play cube games, its just a case of overcome the battery and reliablility problems.

I don't really see the point of games like gta3 and that on your phone. I have a SPV mobile phone, it can play all sorts of games doom, duke nukem, benethe a steel sky etc. But wen im on the bus I find myself playing tetris and sonic.

I reckon that lots of people will buy the PSP initially because of the graphics but then realise that its not that good playing big games on the go and just put them in a cuboard. But I can't see anyone buying a ds either. IMHO there both not very good ideas, for different reasons.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe neither will win. I also believe the new handhelds are pricing themselves out of the competitive market. Die hards will buy no matter what price. The real power will need to be displayed after launch. Regardless what nintendo says i believe in my heart the ds launch was a flop. The units did not sell out around me and it is still readily availible. I believe the price killed it. I have tons of friends none of them have one. When I tell them about psp they say great. When i tell them the price they laugh. As forme I will wait for the 99.00 price
    neo geo system

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should be a very close race, the PSP is coming into the picture with a very strong line up and online out of the box - Nintendo really needs to get some more games out there and try to focus on what almost DS owner wants (Online) - I think this E3 will really put the DS on track. I'm going with Nintendo DS, it has tons potential that the PSP can't *touch*.
    - Mitch_Naz @ M.A -
    " Now you're playing with Power"
    www.freewebs.com/mitchs-arcade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Although i'm not a sony fan, I think the PSP is going to win. However graphics aren't everything, And sony isn't going to talk me into that. I'm waiting on it.

DS. I have one, And although it is very unique, Nintendo has GOT to release more, And better games. DS also needs to be advertised more.

Gizmondo? Too pricy! I mean, $400 for a PDA? If gizmondo isn't going to go down in price, Forget it.

N-Gage was a flop. I don't even see N-Gage games in EB anymore. Reminds me of NGPC...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well you are all forgetting about X factor.

Gamestop and EB games employees who chant the same PSP song every time I go in there. Not only do they promote the PSP they talk down on the DS and while most of us could care less what they have to say many of your average parent consumers will listen. The N-Gage use to have a spot in the front of these stores (now taken by the DS) and now its in the back not even turned on. That spot will soon be taken by the DS. I'm sure the DS will be around but I doubt it will sell like the PSP. Anyone who thinks the DS is going to outsell the PSP in america is kidding themselves.

but what do I know after all I own a N-Gage

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with classicb. And I think that the DS will be somewhat "forgotten" once the PSP is out. Nintendo tried out the dual-screen idea, but there really isn't much point to it. Admit it - it's not that useful.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The psp will "win". Especially if they can get the big time developers to make exclusive games for them. I own and love the psp, but am not interested in the ds at all for some reason. I get this virtual boy vibe from it (interesting concept that doesn't really work out that great). I also am content with my gba and psp to provide me with my portable gaming needs. The thing that I believe has hurt nintendo is there constant rereleases of different models of the gameboy (which is another reason why I don't want the ds, when the gba 2 will probably come out within 2 years). Although, when the new castlevania comes out for the ds, I may have to pick up one (unfortunately the only real title that I'm looking forward to on the system).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, you can sure tell who are the Nintendo fans and who are the Sony fans (or both).

Myself, I truly think there is room for the PSP, GBA and DS. I always like variety, plus the competition will hopefully keep prices down.

that's my .02 worth...

end-of-line
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

seriously its ngage , i neither own one or played one.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ultimately how a system does will depend on the game titles released for it and so far neither system has enough great titles to make it a sure thing in my opinion.

The PSP will have an edge over the DS in terms of graphics and it is a significant advantage but the battery time issue negates that somewhat. The pros and cons of each system has been talked about far too many times already so I don't think it's worth dragging out the whole argument all over again.

Personally, I really enjoyed the GBA since I could play a lot of classic SNES ports or SNES-esque games on it, and that's why I'm very much partial to the DS since the new backlit screen makes the GBA games look better than on the GBA SP. I would very much like to see more quality first person shooters like Metroid released for the DS, as well as more ports, remakes or sequels to the N64 hits. A new Zelda would definitely be a hit, I just hope they release a proper Zelda adventure game and not one of those Four Swords games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grayrobertos
    I reckon that lots of people will buy the PSP initially because of the graphics but then realise that its not that good playing big games on the go and just put them in a cuboard.
    most intelligent thing i have read in this topic *applause*

Sony really needs to make some "handheld-style" games, a lot of people won't see any reason to play "console-style" games after a while, sure the system should really sell well because of the capabilities, but, if there's mainly bigger games for it people might wonder what should make them play on that tiny screen if they can have the same things better on their tv, always remember, the 14+ market hasn't got anywhere as much time to play handhelds (in bus, train, whatever) as the <14-market
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just a little thing to add:

with a "battle" like PSP vs. DS i'm sure we won't see any trend in any direction before Christmas 2005, everything that happens before doesn't mean shit for one important reason:

a much higher percentage of the people interesed in PSP have their own money to buy it than the people interested in DS which means that a lot of DSs will be bought as gifts thus you can't really compare sales until christmas as that is gift season no1
    -Jan