Thread: Will The Prices For PSP Games Drop?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Will The Prices For PSP Games Drop?

I was just wondering, with the Game Boy the prices for games never really drop the older they get, and if they do its not by much...does anyone have any inside info on what will happen with PSP games? Will it be like PS2 games (and all the other home consoles), where the price goes down a lot after a while...or will it be more like the GBA? I REALLY REALLY want a PSP, but i think i will probably wait for price drops...thats why im asking ....

back to Tekken 5 now
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess is that Sony is going to handle the PSP the same way as they do their consoles, which would be a really good move. In other words, after a while you'll have games that become "Greatest Hits" titles for cheaper.

Game Boy games do go down in price after a while for certain titles, it just takes longer because Nintendo doesn't drop the price themselves. I was just reflecting upon the days when there really weren't any sort of special drop point and games only really dropped when in clearance racks. Those times really made waiting for certain titles to fall in price a crap shoot as to when they would be cheaper and if you can find them.

The Game Boy line has never really had a true "greatest hits" price reduction, so it has followed the same random trend as those systems. If the PSP introduces a greatest hits formula, expect to see cheaper titles in a more sensible manner.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    My guess is that Sony is going to handle the PSP the same way as they do their consoles, which would be a really good move. In other words, after a while you'll have games that become "Greatest Hits" titles for cheaper.
    By Sony having these Greatest Hits games, it works out well for both sides. On one side, Sony sells a ton of copies, and then the game will become greatest hits and more people will buy it because of its cheap price point. And by the buyers perspective, we get cheap and AMAZING games at a really good price point. I mean if you look at the lineup of the PS2 greatest hits games, its hard to find a bad game. Nothing but a great lineup.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon
    By Sony having these Greatest Hits games, it works out well for both sides. On one side, Sony sells a ton of copies, and then the game will become greatest hits and more people will buy it because of its cheap price point. And by the buyers perspective, we get cheap and AMAZING games at a really good price point. I mean if you look at the lineup of the PS2 greatest hits games, its hard to find a bad game. Nothing but a great lineup.
    Oh, I agree completely. I think that the Greatest Hits line up is one of the biggest selling points of the PS2 to "casual" gamers. I have always stated that I won't pay more than $20.00 for a new game unless it is in a really rare circumstance, so I pretty much live and die by the Greatest Hits games (or other "versions" from MS and Nintendo).

If / when the PSP gets to that point, that is probably when I'll be picking one up.
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh man im so excited about the psp ....im still on the fence for buyin at at lauch...someone help me make up my mind! lol

anyways its nice to hear that the GH policy will probalby be in effect
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

The Game Boy line has never really had a true "greatest hits" price reduction, so it has followed the same random trend as those systems.
    Well, there was this little thing called the "MIllion Seller Series", but it only was on Gameboy for the B+W system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger
    oh man im so excited about the psp ....im still on the fence for buyin at at lauch...someone help me make up my mind! lol

anyways its nice to hear that the GH policy will probalby be in effect
    If you can afford one, I would suggest getting it... I've already sunk like $600 into the launch for mine.
    Egbert, I miss you...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Querjek
    The Game Boy line has never really had a true "greatest hits" price reduction, so it has followed the same random trend as those systems.
    Well, there was this little thing called the "MIllion Seller Series", but it only was on Gameboy for the B+W system.
    Was there? Damn, I don't remember that at all. Did they do anything different to the cartridges like the little ribbons that the SNES Million Seller's got?

I'm really surprised that if they did it once, Nintendo didn't keep it around. Heck, if the Mario Advance games only cost $20.00, I'd probably pick up a GameBoy Advance.
    Dan Loosen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

the games will drop in price...just dont expect a price drop after like a week or two

when the games get older and dont sell as much, then they'll drop

or like mentioned above, greatest hits games will come out
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is, IMHO, a very stupid question...

Its not IF "Will The Prices For PSP Games Drop?", but WHEN will it happen...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly
    This is, IMHO, a very stupid question...

Its not IF "Will The Prices For PSP Games Drop?", but WHEN will it happen...
    thanks buddy
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I agree with Dan here. When and if Sony releases the "Greatest Hits" series for the PSP, it's going to make the system very attractive. From what I understand, the "Greatest Hits" series has been hugely successful with parents, and that's partially why you see so many "kids" games released under that label. I'm surprised Nintendo isn't doing something like this right now for GBA games.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was there? Damn, I don't remember that at all. Did they do anything different to the cartridges like the little ribbons that the SNES Million Seller's got?
    The Game Boy "Player's Choice" line was done at the same time the SNES "Player's Choice" line was introduced. The Nintendo seal was replaced with a gold "Player's Choice/Million Seller" logo and all games retailed for $19.99 (at a time when most new releases were $29.99-34.99). A number of them are documented in the rarity guide but without the ability to search descriptions they're hard to find. The PC line wasn't used on the GBC and has yet to appear on the GBA.

-Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, they have little Ribbions on the Label and the box. The words Gameboy that run down the side of the box are also gold.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

Yeah they looked identical to the ribbons on the SNES. I had a Super Mario Land 2 and one of the GB Kirby game in this packaging. I believe Nintendo dropped this and changed it to just "Player's Choice" in order to include games that did not sell one million copies.