Thread: GBA 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GBA 2

as the other topic was closed, i decided to open this one, please keep it civil this time

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/28/comm...ming/index.htm

http://spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=8385

what are your feelings about this? i think if there will be a GBA 2 soon with the power of the GC that will mean some heavy competition for the PSP, and competition is always good...
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that would be hella cool for gamecube graffix, as long as it is at 100 dollars

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hot damn, they're actually going to make the DS into a PDA officially. About damn time.

Too bad it was a little too late for many people that wanted to see it as a PDA device from the beginning. If it had that functionality built-in originally, I would've had one by now, although I still wouldn't have any games for it. Instead, I have a real PDA and I won't be too interestecd in these features anymore.

Oh, and to add to these comments:

This could still be a killer app if Nintendo decides to upgrade all existing DS owners for free. If the PDA software costs money to insert and use, and if it is all contained on a cartridge, they aren't going to have much success. They need to get people that would never think to use a PDA to use it as a PDA to actually get a grip on that market. Otherwise, I really don't see this being very functional at all.

The DS _should have_ launched with this software already built in. Had it done that, it would have a much greater consumer appeal across the board.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    Hot damn, they're actually going to make the DS into a PDA officially. About damn time.

Too bad it was a little too late for many people that wanted to see it as a PDA device from the beginning. <snip>

The DS _should have_ launched with this software already built in. Had it done that, it would have a much greater consumer appeal across the board.
    I agree. If the DS would have been labeled as a N-Gage-like device that could do it all and have the ability to play GBA games, I'd have bought it in a second.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Hell yeah!

i bought the ds and while its a fun machine its not a good portable gaming device. i dont regret buying it, mario 64ds was awesome and playing gba games on it is infinitely better than on a gba sp.

but this will truly kickass, and stands a chance to compete with the psp.

so yeah, im game, i dont care that i bought the ds, good hardware is good hardware. ill buy the psp too. GAME ON!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh god dammit. Okay, I'm going to put this in all caps and bold, very early in this thread, which should hopefully negate some very stupid posts:

SPONG IS NOT A REPUTABLE NEWS SOURCE

Everything in that Spong article regarding the new Game Boy is completely fabricated. Read it if you want, but do not believe a word of it. They've been pulling this "exclusive info" shit for a very long time now, and I'm sick of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah once in a while spong has a few stories turn out to be true, but for the most part... thats where all of the gaming rumors start

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    Oh god dammit. Okay, I'm going to put this in all caps and bold, very early in this thread, which should hopefully negate some very stupid posts:

Everything in that Spong article regarding the new Game Boy is completely fabricated. Read it if you want, but do not believe a word of it. They've been pulling this "exclusive info" shit for a very long time now, and I'm sick of it.
    Dude, this is posted all over the internet. Check IGN, there's an official response from Nintendo.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye

Dude, this is posted all over the internet. Check IGN, there's an official response from Nintendo.
    Spong's drivel about all of the features of the new Game Boy is not true.

Hey, look, a reputable news source:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7073

And they're saying exactly what I said from the beginning. Marketing analysts are not Nintendo, and if there's a new Game Boy this year, it's another redesigned GBA.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the new Gameboy plays GameCube discs, it'd be an instant hit.
    Gregory D. George
    Editor, The (New!) Atari Times

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I'm not so sure a portable device that does GCN games is all that and a bag o' chips. I personally love the GBA not mainly because it is portable, but because it is the only place where I can get a decent 2D game nowadays! I have not bought a DS and don't anticipate doing so until they come out with some good 2D games for the thing.

Give me my sprites! And some good games that aren't based on crappy movies.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory DG
    If the new Gameboy plays GameCube discs, it'd be an instant hit. :-P
    AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Frankly, no matter what it turns out to be, I'll probably buy it. This is simply because I have all the other gameboys anyway, and I'll want a complete set.
    -Craig
    So it goes.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id it has an integrated play yan, i'm sold!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, I hope the make the new gba's smaller.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    Man, I hope the make the new gba's smaller.

Smaller? are you mad man? My SP is plenty small, in fact it's just the right size. What i hope they do is find a better way to place the should buttons so it isn't so awkward to use them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory DG
    If the new Gameboy plays GameCube discs, it'd be an instant hit.
    Everyone wants to take their console gaming on the road but no one realzzes that it isn't easy. Sure playing gamecube games would be cool, but the fact is that using an optical disc is hard on the battery. No to mention that console games just aren't designd for the handheld market. Handheld games are ment to be things you can play for a few minutes or a few hours. Most console games can't be played that way.

In fact handhelds that could play console games usually fail. Take a look at the Sega Nomad or the NEC Turbo Express. Both failures.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I got into a big thread about this over at futuremark's console gaming board, and please be aware this is speculation based on speculation.

Wow, some of you guys are so quick to the punch. You feel you've wasted your money on a DS but there have already been a half dozen must have titles annoucned, and you're feeling betrayed?

Nintendo made it no secret that the DS was strictly a niche gaming market, for the truly hardcore. It was never supposed to have amazing support, it was never supposed to sell as well as it has, and I garantee the early adoption success of the DS has not only exceeded their sales expectaitons greatly, but put a suprised smile on their face. They'll continue with their DS support plan, which by the way does not include Revolution connectivity. I garantee the GBE is the reason for that, and they annoucned this shortly after E3. The GBA/DS will not be able to link to the Revolution in any way, and at that annoucnement I first felt that it'd have built in screens in the controllers, or a built in GBA Player type device. Obviously the DS needs the touch screen so that's likely out of the picture, but now that the GBE is so close to the release (maybe even coinciding?) with the Revolution, that's become the clear reason.

But I digress. Back to the issue of support for the DS, I'd be much willing to be that Nintendo actually took a cue from Sony with this. They're testing the market for how much dual screens would be utilized, for how much the touch screen would be utilized. If you think about it, the GBA->GC Connectivity pretty much directly resulted in the DS. Sony marketed the PSX as an all in one super expensive set top device and was nearly annoucned that it was simply a test bed for the PS3. See what people would utilize, how much storage capacity to use, what kind of quality parts they expect to see the best average lifespan. They've remodled that thing quite a few times and they're relying on the few to let them know how it's going. I feel the DS was never designed for commercial success, but for market feedback from the masses. They just didn't expect the masses to be so big.

I feel the touchscreen will be the saving grace for the DS owners. That will continue to keep developers intrested in staying creative and original, while they can take their safe bets and big bucks to the home consoles (and PSP, maybe even GBE).

Either way, I'm now not just stoked for E3, I'm seriously intrigued. This puts Nintendo in a very difficult position. How do you garner support for a new handheld just a year after accidentally releasing a spiritual successor to the GBA? How do you support 4 devices at once? How soon does the GBA bite the dust? Do they really intend to turn the DS into a psuedo PSP + PDA software, while loosely supporting it with Mario <insert sport>? As the industry turns...

Good news for me. I'll get some great games out of it, and probably a cheaper DS too. I still have yet to buy it (not until mario kart or metroid), but it could ultimately be the end of Nintendo. The feeling of betrayal, no matter how misplaced, is a strong one and fairly difficult to get over. I say misplaced because as of now it's all pure speculation, and if this turns out to be true listing all the stats on the incredibly strong support for the DS isn't going to help a damn thing. It certainly isn't going to be another Virtual Boy, as the DS already has more games than the Virtual Boy did and has sold faaaaar better than the VB could have ever hoped to.

Be paitent, we've only got 10 weeks until Nintendo bears their hand at E3. It'll prove to be their most interesting and important one to date.
    Game On!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

I still say that Nintendo will not release NEW technology for less of an MSRP than the DS. It will not happen! TheRedEye is right, listen to him.