Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good SNES RPGs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good SNES RPGs

I have a good friend that loves rpgs. he has a snes. the problem is this: i do not like rpgs, so I know little to nothing about them, especially for the snes. anybody got any recomendations for games that are good but not all that rare so that he doesn't have to spend $50 for a single game?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, both Action RPGs of the same "series" that can be purchased for about $10 a piece. The battle system isn't as deep as Seiken Densetsu... its more or less a more advanced approach to the Zelda System minus the overworld and a lot more story.

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Under $50 a piece? That cuts out most of the really great ones. Although if you're going cart only it shouldn't be difficult to get them all for $30 or so.

Both Lufia's are fantastic games, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, obviously FFII and III, Super Mario RPG, Breath of Fire I and II (but both can be had on GBA for far cheaper), Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia as mentioned. Man, didn't realize there were so many good ones.

I first and foremost reccomend Earthbound and Chrono Trigger, with FFII being the classic RPG toping the list.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the cheap, you can also get:

-Brain Lord
    -Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
    -Lagoon
    -Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    -Robotrek
    -Secret of Evermore
    -Wanderers form Y's

Sure, most of these are Action, but we all need a break from turn-based here & there.
    I had a lovers quarrel with the world.
    -Robert Frost

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Mario RPG is worth the ~$30 price. Trust me.

ActRaiser, while short, was a very good RPG that can be gotten for less than $10 if you look around for it. Avoid the sequel at all costs, though.
    Egbert, I miss you...

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Querjek
    ActRaiser, while short, was a very good RPG that can be gotten for less than $10 if you look around for it. Avoid the sequel at all costs, though.
    Since when has ActRaiser been a RPG? They're were sim elements, true. But an RPG? Well, whatever, it's still an awesome game.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what about drakkhen?its not a bad rpg for the snes,and can be had for under 5 dollars most places.also eye of the beholder,another cheap ass rpg for the snes thats not to bad.
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Terranigma is great, although only released in Japan and Europe, and the English version is expensive. However if you live in Europe and speak and read German or French, you can get those versions for a good price.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can get a LOT of them for under $50USD.

Just not complete, and certainly not sealed.

You should easily be able to get FFIII cart-only for under $50USD.

I mean, some guy had a whole ton of them, COMPLETE, at sweet prices awhile ago. 7th Saga, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, all for well under $50, like $10, $15, $20, stuff like that.

All the $50 bit is ruling out is really FFII, Chrono Trigger, and maybe Earthbound.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pookninja
    what about drakkhen?its not a bad rpg for the snes,and can be had for under 5 dollars most places.also eye of the beholder,another cheap ass rpg for the snes thats not to bad.
    I'm surprised to hear you say that, since I consider both of these games to be among the most god-awful abominations to ever grace the SNES. I don't even know how somebody could play Drakkhen for more than five minutes. I mean, hey, if you like 'em, that's cool- they are definitely cheap and easy to come by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dude
    I'm surprised to hear you say that, since I consider both of these games to be among the most god-awful abominations to ever grace the SNES. I don't even know how somebody could play Drakkhen for more than five minutes. I mean, hey, if you like 'em, that's cool- they are definitely cheap and easy to come by.
    yeah,i can see why some folks might think that.but,for the price,there not half bad.i actually played thru and beaten drakkhen back in the day,i never actually gotten thru eye of the beholder.dont get me wrong,i would rather play breath of fire or final fantasy 2(not 3),but if someone wanted to get some cheap rpg's for the snes,there not bad.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner
    You can get a LOT of them for under $50USD.

Just not complete, and certainly not sealed.

You should easily be able to get FFIII cart-only for under $50USD.

I mean, some guy had a whole ton of them, COMPLETE, at sweet prices awhile ago. 7th Saga, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, all for well under $50, like $10, $15, $20, stuff like that.

All the $50 bit is ruling out is really FFII, Chrono Trigger, and maybe Earthbound.
    Nah, you can get pretty much any SNES game (aside from the competition carts) for under $50 cart only, and that's strictly ebay. The games aren't that rare and can certainly be found in gamestores around the nation, albeit in terrible condition and priced at $30+

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Of those mentioned I just wanted to warn you tht Lagoon and Drakhen are complete trash.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd rather play Drakkhen than Chrono Trigger... But that's just me.

Out of the ones listed above, the only ones I don't recommend are Eye of the Beholder and Illusion of Gaia. They are cheap, but I didn't like them. Different strokes for different folks.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Actually you know what's a great game... if you can find it... Dragon View. It's the sequal to Drakhen and alot better.

Wish I could find it myself. :P

DDCecil: Yeah I didn't care for either of those either.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, you can count me as another person that actually likes Drakkhen. :P Really, Drakkhen and games like Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger/"insert any other Japanese-made SNES RPG here" shouldn't be compared. They play entirely different. Drakkhen is definitely an old-school American-style PC kinda RPG, so you gotta be in that frame of mind when you go into it. Same could probably be said of Eye of the Beholder, but I've barely played that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so far the responses are really good. you guys are even giving me 2nd opinions about some games. i will be making a list, but will probably let this entire thread sit for a week for 2 to get some more input before i make a list to give to the dude.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah,i can see why some folks might think that.but,for the price,there not half bad.i actually played thru and beaten drakkhen back in the day,i never actually gotten thru eye of the beholder.dont get me wrong,i would rather play breath of fire or final fantasy 2(not 3),but if someone wanted to get some cheap rpg's for the snes,there not bad.
    What's wrong with Final Fantasy III(should have been VI on the SNES but anyway) it's undeniably the best in the series. Much better than the shit Square-Enix has been pumping since Sony stepped in.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of my favorite RPGs that should be on the cheaper side of things are Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Evermore you should be able to get them pretty cheap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James
    What's wrong with Final Fantasy III(should have been VI on the SNES but anyway) it's undeniably the best in the series. Much better than the shit Square-Enix has been pumping since Sony stepped in.
    nothing is wrong with ff3,i just perfer ff2 over ff3,thats all.