Thread: I read somewhere that Square is looking to focus on online..

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I read somewhere that Square is looking to focus on online..

...games in the future.

Do you ever feel like you're the only person who prefers offline games? You know, games with a defined end so you can actually beat them?

I hate the idea of paying for a game, then paying monthly to play it.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Where did you read this??? Sounds like a load to me.

Chris

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They've released at least 5 MMORPGs on the PC in Japan since the merger haven't they? Who cares if they are going in to the Online thing, as long as they still release all of their great single player games Bring on the MMO!.

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as they keep making great off line games I'll be happy.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03...s_6119756.html

"Wada went on to make an even bolder statement for Square Enix's future. After explaining that he sees the next 10 years as a period where the "fun" in networked communication will begin to surface, Wada predicted that online games will be Square Enix's main source of income in the future. "I think that over half of our income and profit will be based on network content [including games] by 2008 or 2009."[/i]
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That does not make me happy at all. I've been thinking this for years, and it seems more obvious every day, but games just aren't as fun as they used to be.

I imagine that someday I won't even go into Game Stop or EB anymore, thanks to the crap that has been churning out.

Online games = ugh imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank god there are at least a few people out there like me. If I want to play an online game I get on my damn PC. I don't know why in the hell people pay Microsoft monthly to play games online when they have a freaking comp with an internet connection they're ALREADY PAYING FOR right next to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer online games because I play them for thousnads of hours because they are fun ><\\ :P

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan the Foul
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/04/news_6119756.html

"Wada went on to make an even bolder statement for Square Enix's future. After explaining that he sees the next 10 years as a period where the "fun" in networked communication will begin to surface, Wada predicted that online games will be Square Enix's main source of income in the future. "I think that over half of our income and profit will be based on network content [including games] by 2008 or 2009."[/i]
    I don't interpret that as saying that they are going to focus on online gaming. To me, it says that they think the market is heading towards mostly online gaming, and that that is where they think most of their income will come from. I happen to think that he is mistaken.

Chris

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Eventuly, we WILL be playing all of our games online, downloaded from a website and burned onto a DVD or saved on a HD, and we can choose how many players or AI foes that we want, and the gaming device will be hooked up into the same machine that will also be a computer, a telephone, a DVR machine, a TV, a DVD player, a music player, and many other things.

I just don't think it will happen for another 20-30 years.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I don't think the single-player experience will ever totally disappear. There is real value in a hand-crafted (or at least an intriguing random) story-driven game.

Seeing all the closures and failures of MMOs in the American market recently, I somewhat doubt that Square's ambitious plans will fly here in the US.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    Thank god there are at least a few people out there like me. If I want to play an online game I get on my damn PC. I don't know why in the hell people pay Microsoft monthly to play games online when they have a freaking comp with an internet connection they're ALREADY PAYING FOR right next to them.
    Because paying $150 once is better than upgrading your video card, sound card and resolving all sorts of bugs PC games ship with (although console games get their share too) to some people. Console gaming online is just a hell of a lot more convenient and fun to me. Much more variety on the console online front as well. Generally with the PC, it's "do I want to play the newest shooter, RTS or MMORPG?" With consoles the set of games out there to play against others online is a bit more diverse. Also worth mentioning, you'll find far fewer cheaters on Xbox Live as a whole than you will in the realm of PC gaming. I'm not denying PC games, I'm just saying that there are other ways of looking at things besides a one-sided, poorly-argued point. People who hate the premise of Xbox Live have generally never experienced it.

About the topic at hand, I suppose it's the dollar signs the suits get in their eyes over MMO games they can charge for montly. It's like the old razorblades bit: get the razor in their hands and they'll keep coming back for blades. To get a bit off topic, and further extend this metaphor, Gilette sent me a razor on my 18th birthday, in an attempt to get the trojan horse in my hands, that way they'd have a customer for life buying the blades for it. I suspect to a lot of companies, green is the primary motivation for moving towards online gaming, especially that which they can charge for.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love to play online but I don't want to pay monthly so I sitck to console gaming. When I make better money, I will probably play online but there will be a healthy share of on and offline.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link