Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BIN Mistake....do I just forget about it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default BIN Mistake....do I just forget about it?

So, I got this unreal Gamecube Buy It Now....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

The seller emailed me stating that it was a mistake and basically, I'm just supposed to forget about it. Now, I realize that it was an error but I did the Buy It Now fair and square. The part that gets me is that the seller doesn't seem to think anything of it.

So, should I just forget about it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Throw the book at him, I say.

Obviously, it was a mistake. If you want to be a nice guy, you can say "I understand" and back out. However, maybe you can get something out of it if you tell eBay about it.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say yeah. I mean it's not like he didn't e-mail you tell you that or asked for payment and would never ship it or anything. Besides, he'll be the one puying for it in Ebay fees, not you.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Depends on how he is being about it. If he is being apologetic and polite then I would let it go. If he is being an ass about it then report him to eBay.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd probably let it go since it obviously was a mistake. Besides, there's really nothing special in the lot worth fighting over anyways.

Another option is to see what price he ment to post it at and see if the two of you can work out a reasonable deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I just checked and looks like they already relisted it as a regular auction. They should have offered me something though instead of just saying it was a mistake, sorry and that's that. I emailed them letting them know that I'm not happy just forgetting about it so we'll see what they say.

On a side note, I remember that I once made a similar mistake and instead of starting a gameboy auction at 50 cents, I did a 50 cent BIN. I honored my mistake and took the loss. I learned from that error and haven't made one since.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seller made the same mistake with a PS2 lot If I was selling and made a mistake like that, I would apologize, but would not be willing to just give them away for that low of a price. Looks like the seller's shipping price got keyed into the BIN somehow. Mistakes happen. The auction was up for less than 10 minutes. Seller never had a chance to fix & probably hadn't even caught the error yet. But clearly it was a mistake. Anyone using the BIN should realize, so they should be willing to let it go.

Looks like both auctions were quickly relisted.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by philosophyst
    I emailed them letting them know that I'm not happy just forgetting about it so we'll see what they say.

On a side note, I remember that I once made a similar mistake and instead of starting a gameboy auction at 50 cents, I did a 50 cent BIN. I honored my mistake and took the loss. I learned from that error and haven't made one since.

How you would handle a situation vs. how this seller would is irrelavant. It's not up to you to say how the seller must conduct themself on ebay.

But I'm sure if you pressure them long enough, you may earn a nice negative feedback over the deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We will accept serious bidders only!

just for that statement, he lost my respect
    how about 'only serious auctions please'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Geez, thanks for the kind words video game addict.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

his relisting it so quickly would have gotten me mad

i say you email him that you want your games...ebay is a binding contract
    then if he says no, report him to ebay and do anything you can to get ebay after him
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i wonder if he had it listed at $385.00 and you bid by mistake if he would just forget about it.
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come on guys.

Crap happens..... Even if you walk into a Major Store and an item is marked wrong they won't honor it. They will scan it and sell it to you at the Correct price.

Give the guy a break. Would YOU lose a lot of money on a deal. I didn't think so. x_x

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about the USA, but in the UK a while back there was some rulinh about selling on the internet, where if an item was listed at a price that was clearly a mistake, the vendor was not obliged to honour the purchases people made (this was after some error on Argos or something I think, where they mistakenly had TVs priced at £5!)

Now whilst the law may not apply to ebay, or in the US, I think that the principle that it worked on is valid. It is immediately obvious that the BINs on those lots were a mistake. It must have occurred to you before you even placed your bid that the seller had probably not meant to list it for $3.85 BIN - therefore to now insist that they sell to you at that price would seem a little petty.

Everyone makes mistakes .. just let it go. Remember, ebay allows bidders to withdraw a bid if they 'enter the wrong bid amount'. How would you feel if that were not in place, and you accidentally bid $100 for something instead of $10 and couldn't retract? How would you feel if the seller then insisted you pay up on your $100 bid for some CD or semething?

Save your efforts for the real scam merchants who are actually out to rip people off and deceive them, rather than those who just make honest mistakes.

Vroomfunkel

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agree here, this is clearly a mistake. I wouldnt even waste energy on this. You know that you wont get 9 complete GC games for 3 dollars unless a junkie had stolen them and needed som cash fast hehe.
    So my advice is to just let it go. You know what they say, if its too good to be true it usualy is

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's the best crap lot i've seen i wouldn't pay more then $5 for ll the games
    12 US SMS games to go
    74 US DC games to go

Now Playing:
    Guild Wars:
    (W/Me Furby Slayer)
    (Mo/R Goat Herder Teo)
    Riviera: the promised land

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Geez, he made a freaking typo. End story. Move on.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by philosophyst
    Geez, thanks for the kind words video game addict.

Someone's gotta play devil's advocate around here.

Seriously if it had been my auction, I would have thanked you for your bid, apologized for the mishap, then offered what I thought would be the most reasonable solution. Which would have been either to pick any one from the lot & I would honor that bid price on it, or let you know what the least I would take for the lot would be if you were seriously interested in purchasing.

So you get one game for cheap...

or the full lot for a reasonable price, maybe lower than what the BIN would have been if listed correctly...

or if neither interest you & full refund, if payment had already been sent.

I would ask that the bidder be understanding in the situation, that it was a mistake in the listing, and that you ended it before a change could be made.

From there I would leave it up to the bidder, if they want to end things on a positive note, they can.

If they are still going to be unhappy, well that's their problem from there, & it's an "I'm sorry but the auction has been relisted." :/

But if a bidder is going to pester a seller over something like this, then a negative could likely be the end result if you keep at it. Now doubt about that.

Honestly I'm not sure how ebay sides in these circumstances. There is a complaint form for non-preforming sellers you can file, but if the seller claims a mistake in listing and a quick BIN auction that was unable to be fixed, they might not hold against the seller.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

at that price I wouldnt hold him to it, as you probably suspected this was a mistake when you bid.

give the guy a break, but tell him you want at least fantastic feedback from him.
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Clearly it was a mistake, and most people here agree that the buyer should let it go. However, I think the seller should have at least offered it to the buyer at the correct BIN that he meant to list it at. The fact that he simply relisted the item shows his disregard for the buyer. If he expects to be treated fairly for his mistakes, he should be just as considerate to the buyer who may have really wanted the item.

Now, if you really want to be a prick, win the auction with an extremely insane proxy bid, and when the seller sends you invoice, either 1.) send him a paypal payment for $3.85 plus S&H or 2.) tell him you made a mistake and didn't mean to bid that high.