Thread: Interesting article Love/Hate SONY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Interesting article Love/Hate SONY

http://www.altgaming.net/mambo/index...d=90&Itemid=32

In the first part of a three-part feature, Iun takes a look at how the three main videogames companies have affected the industry. First up, we have Sony.

I hate Sony. I really do.

No other company in this industry (bar EA, but keep reading) has brought down my favourite hobby to such inexcusable lows as have Sony.

You see, it’s the fault of Sony that we have the phenomenon known as the “Casual Gamer”: the gamer that comes in after a night out at the pub or club and plays a half an hour of Grand Turismo before he hits the hay. The gamer that sees the latest iteration of a supposedly “classic” franchise such as Driver and just grabs it off the shelf and runs straight to the counter, no questions asked. They brought forth the gamer that sees any new idea as a threat to a casual hobby that they have taken up and boycott it simply because they don’t recognise the name.

Sony has also brought a lack of innovation and stagnation to the marketplace, hand in hand with the world’s biggest third-party publisher, they have together created a market where innovation and leaps forward are held back by the annual update of the FIFA franchise. A market where small and forward-thinking developers who seek to push the envelope a little bit further are forced to close, or are bought out and broken up by the bigger fish in the pond. They have created a place where great games can be ignored by strategically timing higher profile, but lower quality releases which are used to “torpedo” these great new games.

Sony have created an empire based on arrogance and deception. An empire where poorly-manufactured consoles are the norm and replacement machines are counted alongside sales of new machines. Replacement machines which are not new, one might add, but instead they are old and broken units that have been “reconditioned” to cut costs and shoddy productions values. Sony presides over these vast lands with arrogance, where costs are cut to better improve profits and reports of manufacturing defects are ignored and their customers told to put up with it.

I hate Sony because they seek to monopolise the market through slick marketing and carefully-timed “spoilers” with which their opponents are beaten through quantity and not quality. I remember what Sony was telling everyone around the launch of the Dreamcast, that their machine would be better, that if everyone would be patient, their machine would deliver the goods. SEGA was on its last legs after losing badly to the original Playstation, the Dreamcast spoilers were tantamount to kicking a man when he’s down, everyone held a soft spot for SEGA with their cute characters and endearing designs, why could there not be room for both machines on the market? I hate Sony for helping to kill SEGA.

But most of all, I hate Sony, because they’re big, they’re untouchable and they’re on top of the world. But they do not deserve to be.

I love Sony. I really do.

No other company in recent memory has given more to the industry in terms of growth, recognition and a steady stream of titles.

Sony has brought gaming to the masses: Sony created the “Casual Gamer” and although there are those who would rue this creation, the truth is, it has only been a good one for the industry as a whole. Prior to the advent of the “Casual Gamer” gaming was seen as less of a main stream and more of a niche market, something done by spotty geeks in their darkened rooms while they chat to other spotty geeks in other darkened rooms. Sony has helped gaming come out from the shadows and allowed more people to experience its pleasures. Sony has helped inject interest in the female gamer into the market, while it can be argued that gaming is still a predominantly male pastime, more and more women are picking up Dualshock control pads for their 30-minute fix of Harry Potter and The Sims. Sony has really opened up the market to new people.

In many ways, Sony have been great innovators in the games industry: they were the first to design a truly accessible multi-media console with the Playstation 2 being the first console to play the widely-popular DVD format. True there have been other consoles that movies could be played on, but none of them have matched the quality or mass market appeal of the DVD. Sony gave us the “EyeToy” in all its forms, a nifty piece of kit if ever there was one. The “EyeToy” and Dance Mats have again opened up the market to new gamers who would never have considered gaming as a way of having fun beforehand. And let us not forget Singstar: That infuriating two-microphone setup that has convinced teenage girls the world over that they can sing. Even if Sony did not invent these technologies solely on their own or even if they stole ideas from other companies, one cannot help but admire their ability to bring these ideas to the front of the consciousness of many gamers.

Though their empire may well have been crafted around arrogance and poor workmanship, their empire has endured for a great deal of time and through many crises and still manages to endure. The classic “Suez Canal” story this Christmas only proves this: the shops were full of mums and dads beside themselves with frustration at not being able to secure the console that their children wanted. Yet when supplies started to trickle in, they soon dried up again. No amount of persuasion or pointing in the direction of the Xbox or Gamecube could dissuade them from their purchase. There were even those who were lined up behind the distraught mums and dads who were buying another machine to replace their second Playstation 2 which had died far sooner than the first one. The Playstation 2 sells almost as fast as Sony can make them, no matter its faults.

One cannot help but be charmed by the near saturation of the market by the Playstation brand: in children’s comics one finds adverts for the latest Jak and Daxter; FHM sports a double page advertisement for Need For Speed and selected women’s magazines and journals show off the latest Sims games. Rivals and detractors complain at the monopoly-minded activities of Sony, but to them I say that they should stop whining and take a leaf out of Sony’s book and get their consoles out their and recognised, otherwise their will never be any real challenge to Sony’s well deserved dominance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#2 The big N

The third and final part of Iun's feature is here. With only one main industry player left, let's take a glance at good old Nintendo...

I hate Nintendo, I really do. Of all the three major hardware companies around today, I hate them the most.

I hate Nintendo because of their arrogant attitude to what gamers want. While Microsoft and Sony are trying out and establishing new business models in order to expand their user base, Nintendo is still largely focusing on its rapidly diminishing core market. And sod the Revolution guys –innovation is great, but it’s only the hardcore that actively seek it out. What fringe gamers and casual gamers want is the machine with the best graphics and the best variety of games, not a console that sprays you with water while you’re playing Wave Race Revolution. And while we’re on the subject of revolutionary ideas, where the Hell is Mario 128, guys? You can crow about other developers copying your ideas, but in the end, they’ll copy them regardless of whether or not you show a video of this long-overdue game: they copied Mario 64, and they will copy anything else you come up with that’s good, so there is no real reason to keep the game from us. Loyal Nintendo fans have been crowing about this game for years; now is the time to deliver!

Now let’s talk about the GameCube: What on Earth were you thinking, guys? Everyone else was talking DVD and multi-functionality, yet you were emphasizing a “games-only” machine for a market that absolutely loves multifunctionality! Sure, the graphics are great, the controller is a dream to hold and those discs are just so darned cute, but when compared with the sleek PS2 and the bold Xbox with their DVD playing capacity and home entertainment centre compatibility, it just doesn’t measure up. At time of release, DVD players would often cost a minimum of £50, to be able to get a fully-functional gaming platform with a DVD in it is a smart move from a consumer point of view, Nintendo’s often irrational fear of piracy prompted the move to proprietary discs which also contributed to numerous stock shortages due to the fact that there was only one factory producing them. Hindsight is a wonderful curse, but surely there was someone at Nintendo HQ who pointed out the stupidity of the idea?

Lastly, let’s not forget the Nintendo attitude to Europe. It sucks big time, and I hate it. The baffling attitude of the company towards the European market is a shining testament of how a business should not be run. Release dates are constantly changed and pushed back, America got Metroid Prime over six months before the European market –if there had been a simultaneous launch in the USA and Europe the game could have established itself as an intelligent alternative to Halo for everyone. Instead of this, however, there was a relatively quiet launch for such a large title, no major marketing or retail push (I was working in a games store at the time) so the game almost slipped out unnoticed by the majority of gamers. True, there was something of a spike in sales of hardware thanks to the Prime Pak, but every piece of hardware had to be forced down the customer’s throats in order to get them to buy it. In comparison, the Xbox and PS2 walk themselves off of the shelves and into people’s homes! Yet still Nintendo market the machine half-heartedly with late-night advertisements featuring idiots dancing around to advertise Donkey Konga. Nintendo really need to fire their Marketing people and get in some professionals for the next generation.

I love Nintendo, there are no two ways about it, I love them far more than I could ever love Sony or Microsoft.

I love Nintendo despite their sometimes confusing approach to the needs of video gamers. Whatever else you may say about Nintendo, they have pioneered and championed a vast catalogue of hardware and software innovations, the legacy of which can still be felt today. From shoulder buttons, now the standard trigger-accessory of any joypad, the analogue stick, probably the finest hardware innovation gaming has seen in years. Try playing an FPS without analogue control on a console and you’ll see what I mean. Starwing, the first truly excellent polygonal shooter on a home console to The Ocarina of Time, the benchmark by which all other action RPG’s have been judged for nearly ten years. And let’s not forget the original Gameboy: when it was released it looked poor compared to its rivals the Lynx and the Game Gear. However, excellent battery life and strong third-party support ensured the system was a winner despite the grainy black and white graphics and tinny sound, the machine proved not only to be a survivor but also a hardware phenomenon that has sold more combined units than any other hardware range in the history of gaming.

Let’s talk about the GameCube now: it’s small, it’s purple and it has the best control pad around. If you think complimenting the controller is the highest praise I can come up with for Nintendo’s box of wonder, you would be wrong. Although it has no DVD playing capacity and it looks like the proverbial uninvited guest when placed up against the other machines available, it still has the best games of this generation. Period. Don’t believe me? Play the Metroid Prime games, then play Mario Sunshine, then have a quick four player bash on Donkey Konga. When you’re done with that, get some time on the courts in Mario Power Tennis, and after you’re done there why not visit your village in Animal Crossing? Then round off the evening by turning the lights off and settling into some serious Resident Evil. And that’s not even half of the games I could mention on the machine that are worthy of a purchase. Though the Gamecube might not sell, Nintendo have remained totally committed to putting out Triple A content that any other hardware company would welcome on their machine.

Last of all, we move onto Nintendo’s treatment of Europe. Frankly, it’s indefensible. Or is it? Look back ten years and you’ll be glad we live with the Nintendo we have grown up to now: in Great Britain, all problems with Nintendo were dealt with by THE Games –a different company to the main body, we weren’t even worthy of being dealt directly by the Big N themselves. Games on the SNES would often cost up to £60 if they were in short supply, and it was not uncommon to find Ocarina of Time on the N64 weighing in at a not inconsiderable £50. Games these days are priced far more reasonably at £40 for the most part, and with most High Street retailers offering incentives for your purchase, it’s a good time to buy games.

The most shining example of Nintendo getting their act together with Europe is the DS. Over here we’re getting a few titles that the Americans didn’t get at launch, and with 15 games available from launch day, we’re getting far more choice right from the off. Couple this with the marvellous VIP incentive they recently offered, Nintendo are on the right track as far as Europe is concerned. Maybe they have a lot of ground still left to cover; maybe they haven’t done all and everything that they could to get things absolutely right. But changes are being made, and hopefully European consumers will be able to forgive, just as I have forgiven the company…

…time and time again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is also a Microsoft article if you click on the link.
    I thought the one on Nintendo was right on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

>_>
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

what an awesome article. i love reading both sides of an article from the same person, those are the best articles since the person puts an unbiased view on both sides. when fanboys argue its like two blind guys describing their favorite colors.

this article gives great points and counter points, which can be adapted and explain in any discussion you have on current generation gaming.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

oh yeah, fyi, mario 128 isnt and was never a game, it was just a demo to show the power of the system and how it can render so many marios on the screen at once. the rumors really ran rampant on that, and apparantly now its a codename for the new mario.... stupid rumor mills

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!
    oh yeah, fyi, mario 128 isnt and was never a game, it was just a demo to show the power of the system and how it can render so many marios on the screen at once. the rumors really ran rampant on that, and apparantly now its a codename for the new mario.... stupid rumor mills
    Actually though, it is the new codename for the new mario game.

Pretty cool article. thanks for posting it!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Haven't their been casual gamers since the Atari? People like my Aunt and Uncle who bought the Pacman Plug and Play tv unit because their Atari was sold at a year sale 15 years ago. Or like my boyfriends grandparents whom still have an SNES hooked up to their living room tv for the occasional teris fix. I wouldn't call these people hardcore gamers. They bought games because they were a recreational pastime. The same as anyone today who buys a PS2 just for GTA or the XboX just for Halo. Not that these are bad games, the same that pacman and tetris weren't bad games. I'm just saying people who buy a game system for the occasional something to do aren't new.

Sony has helped inject interest in the female gamer into the market, while it can be argued that gaming is still a predominantly male pastime, more and more women are picking up Dualshock control pads for their 30-minute fix of Harry Potter and The Sims. Sony has really opened up the market to new people.
    And DP doesn't have an avie apporoprite for seething rage and indignation. And what does "intrest in the female gamer" mean anyway? I thought the fact the "teenage male" is just another acronym for "horn dog" was enough to "inject intrest" in our gender. Nature doesn't need Sony's help. Just a pair of breasts and joystick.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Haven't their been casual gamers since the Atari?
    Yeah, but it's more fun to blame Sony. And the Sony bought in the female gamers quip is equally shortsighted (and condesending.)

Maybe I'm just an old foagie, but it just seems to me like too many people writing about games only go as far back as the NES. Casual gamers, female gamers and pretty much everything good or bad existsed before the current three companies dominated the field.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Yeah, but it's more fun to blame Sony. And the Sony bought in the female gamers quip is equally shortsighted (and condesending.)
    Nice one.

Anyhow, very good article showing both sides of the coin with Sony and Nintendo.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Nintendo is much worse. They monopolized the market in the mid 80´s and even punished retailers that sold different consoles...THAT IS an example of an idiotic, hypocritical company.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong

Maybe I'm just an old foagie, but it just seems to me like too many people writing about games only go as far back as the NES. Casual gamers, female gamers and pretty much everything good or bad existsed before the current three companies dominated the field.
    ...funny, but I thought that games like Centipede and Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man helped bring in female gamers? And I thought Tetris and, more recently, The Sims (on PC, not on consoles) did that too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    ...funny, but I thought that games like Centipede and Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man helped bring in female gamers?
    Ding! That is the correct answer!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Yes. But admitedly I don't think I noticed them as much until the Playstation came around.

Or to put it into perspective, almost everyone I knew during the SNES/Megadrive days who owned one of the them was what I deem to be a "dedicated gamesplayer". Today that's as far from the case as being.

Note this also included the Gameboy. Curiously enough, I noticed an upturn in "casual" gaming on it here about the same time the PS1 took off big...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

I wonder why he didnt touch on the absolutely HORRID quality control on modern systems (except Gamecube, it's built like a rock). I mean I'm on my 4th PS2 (due to 3 broken ones) and my second XBOX. I treat my stuff perfectly too every thing is in mint condition...they just break! I do not MOD my systems in anyway or abuse them or even watch a single DVD on them. I just play them alot. I should have gotten in on the class action law suit against Sony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im thinking of posting my own love/Hate for both Sony and Nintendo.
    I guess Microsoft just hasnt been in the game long enough for me to comment on them yet.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008
    I wonder why he didnt touch on the absolutely HORRID quality control on modern systems (except Gamecube, it's built like a rock). I mean I'm on my 4th PS2 (due to 3 broken ones) and my second XBOX. I treat my stuff perfectly too every thing is in mint condition...they just break! I do not MOD my systems in anyway or abuse them or even watch a single DVD on them. I just play them alot. I should have gotten in on the class action law suit against Sony.
    Someday, PS2 games will be absolutely worthless because there won't be any systems left to play them on, leaving a serious overabundance of the games themselves.

...I can't wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the Nintendo article was right on target.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice post... im glad someone tried to see both sides of the fence. And i know alot of people that are on there 2nd or 3rd PS2 but you never hear about the person who is on there 2nd GC. You kinda wonder if thats the reason Ken K. got fired/left/resigned from Sony because of crappy support and customer Service. I think thats it cool that most Nintendo Systems have a 5 year warrenty, but isnt the PS2 have like a limited 30 Day warrenty and then the XBOX has like a 30day to with an option of buying an extended 2/3 year warrenty. Go Nintendo.
    In the free/libre software
    movement, we develop
    software that respects users'
    freedom, so we can and you can
    escape from software that
    doesn't --Richard Stallman