Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher priced next gen. videogames and systems in future?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Higher priced next gen. videogames and systems in future?!

http://cube.ign.com/articles/596/596585p1.html

Hey everyone. Just wanted to see what other people's opinions were on this subject, that really hasn't been brought up to much on this site. This is probably the first company, Activision, that has already said that games for the next gen. systems might start at $60, maybe more. (At least the first I have seen to publically say something)

It is a good point that the article makes. I mean we have continually paid more for movie tickets, but for the most part games brand new have remained around the $50 mark. The more times and production put into a game, the more it's going to cost for gamemakers. How long can that last? We all now systems will be alot, but has anybody have any thoughts or opinions about the rising cost in software. I am anxious to see some thoughts considering all the cheapskates around here. There are alot of people complaining already about the current prices of games, as they are too high.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the psx first came out alot of the games in my area were $59.00. It sucked I will never forget the 59.00 that I paid for bases loaded 96 that turd.
    Back then the industry could do it because the psx had the wow factor. But now, no way games will sit on the shelf before the majority pays 59.00. Just look at the nintendo ds $150.00 rarely movin off the store shelves after the hype. Now on sell at overstock.com with 20.00 discount. Can you smell videogame crash.
    Look at the psp 250.00 bundle will fly off the shelves by the hardcore and hype buyers initially. But sales will also drop off after the hype and sony will be forced to lower the price. As for me the I will wait for the ds to hit 99.00 by Christmas and the psp to hit between the 100.00 & 150.00
    neo geo system

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The opinion of retrogamers, collectors, and other "hard core" types probably doesn't make much difference, being as we are decidedly the minority. I guess we'll just see if Madden 2007 and the big movie license games keep flying off the shelves at $60 per.

I mean, a lot of the posters here (myself included) are pretty cheap, or try to be, about this hobby. You pretty much have to be if you're going to amass any volume of games. Plus, once you get old enough to be nostalgic and collect, you generally come to the realization that a good game released yesterday will still be a good game next year when you can pick it up for less than $20. Plus, you've probably already got a backlog of games and not even enough free time to play them anyway. So waiting to buy a game isn't the terrible thing it seems like when you're young (with plenty of time but no money).

I know, we should support the industry and all that, but I'm afraid that it's just not going to happen on my budget. The only games I would even consider buying new at release right now would be games with a significant online component, since it's best to get in on the ground floor with that sort of thing. And at $60, it had better be something special.

Or Doom. Dooooooooom. (It's my Achilles' Hell, so to speak.)
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...bd/2005314tech

Gamers will be willing to spend more for premium titles on the new consoles, Kotick says. "People want to play the great games. There doesn't seem to be a lot of price sensitivity to paying for the great games," he said.

Fuck them. I won't pay $60 US a game. Good fucking gods man. Games in Canada are ALREADY bloody $60-80 NEW + tax. Anohter hike would put them out of the realm of consideration for new purchases. I'll just buy from pawn shops who take in stolen merchandise or used from friends. As it is, I almost always wait for the games to come down in price before buying. I'm only bought maybe one game every two months at full retail in the last year...at the most. This would make it zero. I'd just wait for everything to drop before even considering buying. Sucks though, cause I like to buy everything factory sealed.

And considering that article....how many licensed games did any of you buy in the last year? Me...I bought... *looks*.... Indiana Jones for Xbox (from a private seller for $10 sealed), Lupin the 3rd for PS2 (from a private seller, sealed), Robotech for GBA (new from a private seller for $10), and Samurai Jack for GC (used from a mini-mart). I bought NO licensed games new from the stores. Wait...I take it back...Astro Boy for GBA. I bought that new. And holy shit....I don't care how much they ADD to the game to "justify" the cost. It's still not worth it to go back to those prices. I'd rather have shorter games that are cheaper any day....I feel that most games are too long as it is. WTF is wrong with these analysts that think we'll just bend over and take it? I'm not gonna even TOUCH the next gen systems until the hardware drops to the prices the current stuff is at now, much less get raped anally for fun by clerks just to play a game that a company claims is better.

EDIT: Oh yeah...and I don't go to the theater any more. I go less than 5 times a year...usually 1-3 tops. I used to go over 30 times a year. Since the prices have gone up, I've stopped going. Some of us will NOT continue to pay high prices for the same stuff.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

bargora made an excellent point.

although i have to bring up another: the PC. PC games have always been top of the line. while console games are restricted to their console, PC games have always strived to be as beautiful and advanced as possible, regardless if the majority has the means of playing these games at their top notch settings (case in point: Doom 3 and Half Life 2, and older games like Sim CIty 3 which still lags on my pc). these games and any other PC games no matter the price have NEVER crossed the 50 dollar mark (LE and CE not included), and yet still dont sell all that well.

If companies follow Activision, far less games will be bought by the mainstream gamer, since now hes got a choice, pay 60 bucks for activision/current gen, 40-50 for nintendo or 20 for PS2/Xbox games (by that time itll be the used bin).

i hear parents and kids already complaining about 50 price tags, if it hits 60 they quite possibly might start buying the cheaper games or last gen games, having companies like Activision go the way of Acclaim.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    how many licensed games did any of you buy in the last year? Me...I bought... *looks*....

where do you find UN-licensed games for current gen? or do you pirate everything?

as for the theatre bit... 10 bucks i think is fair, its a fun activity, sure i can rent teh flick for 3 bucks in 1 year and watch it in my living room but i enjoy the theatre and usually go with a bunch of friends or my gf. 10 bucks is nothing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!
    how many licensed games did any of you buy in the last year? Me...I bought... *looks*....

where do you find UN-licensed games for current gen? or do you pirate everything?
    He mentions Indiana Jones, Astro Boy, Robotech, Lupin III...he's talking about movie/TV show licenses.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

$50 is already too much for me. I paid more than that for RE4 but that was a collector's edition.

$40 is just right is the game's GOOD.

I usually wait until they hit the magical $20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love how he makes it seem that all games have always been $50 or lower...I seem to remember a bunch of SNES, N64, Saturn (Genesis?) games that were 60-70. I'm definitely never paying over $50 for a new game (unless its a CE I really want).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    $50 is already too much for me. I paid more than that for RE4 but that was a collector's edition.

$40 is just right is the game's GOOD.

I usually wait until they hit the magical $20.
    I'm with you, just wait. In a year the game's cheaper and has a bunch of codes and walkthroughs on the internet.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    I love how he makes it seem that all games have always been $50 or lower...I seem to remember a bunch of SNES, N64, Saturn (Genesis?) games that were 60-70. I'm definitely never paying over $50 for a new game (unless its a CE I really want).
    thats why games of that generation NEVER sold as much as games of this one do. remember the 'mainstream' gaming explosion was with the Playstation, and its cheaper CD media games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm confused. A lot of you guys are saying you never pay $50 for a game, and yet I'm assuming a lot of you play obscure games that have limited release numbers. If those games hit the $20 mark, they may be nearly impossible to find by that point. I'm sure many of you import as well... it's rather difficult to get a lot of import games for less than $50.

My point is, I often find myself paying full price for a game if I'm afraid it won't be available later.

Also, with regards to the comment about PC games above, I believe Half-Life 2's initial MSRP was (and still is) $54.99. Probably the same for Doom 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!

He mentions Indiana Jones, Astro Boy, Robotech, Lupin III...he's talking about movie/TV show licenses.

What he said

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Games are getting cheaper.

To make, not sell.

/thanks EA
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

It would just depend on how good the game was and how much I was going to play it. I don't usually buy current gen games unless I can get them cheap, and preferably used. I bought Resident Evil 4 and paid full price for it, but it's been worth it because I'm playing the crap out of it. I have a full time job, but $50 is still a lot of money, and I have a hard time justifying paying that much for a game when I have a backlog of games that I need to play that extends back through VCS games.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by it290
    I'm confused. A lot of you guys are saying you never pay $50 for a game, and yet I'm assuming a lot of you play obscure games that have limited release numbers. If those games hit the $20 mark, they may be nearly impossible to find by that point. I'm sure many of you import as well... it's rather difficult to get a lot of import games for less than $50.

My point is, I often find myself paying full price for a game if I'm afraid it won't be available later.

Also, with regards to the comment about PC games above, I believe Half-Life 2's initial MSRP was (and still is) $54.99. Probably the same for Doom 3.
    Games can ALWAYS be found for cheap if you're patient. Especially newer ones, because the print runs are so high now. Minimums are in the tens of thousands, not a couple thousand. And most obscure games don't sell for shit, meaning that lots of copies are floating around. They don't just mysteriously vanish off the face of the earth or anything. Seriously...name me a game from the current generation that you flat out CANNOT find for less than it cost new. I can't even thing of one. If we're talking 3-5 year old PSX, sure....but if you waited that long, you missed the G-spot for buying cheap.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey guys remember when new SNES and Genny games were $70 bucks a piece, that's all i'm gonna say...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

$50 is my cutoff for games, unless they're games that I really want (i.e. Doubutsu No Mori e+, which was $70). If next-gen games costr over $50 new in the future, then I'm going to have to stick to my $40 PSP games
    Egbert, I miss you...

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

It is a good point that the article makes. I mean we have continually paid more for movie tickets, but for the most part games brand new have remained around the $50 mark.
    That's a terrible point. You pay maybe what, $12 at a theater for a movie? Then say $20 on DVD? If the movie cost $100 million to make, they're only charging $32. What's the excuse of the game makers who are charging $70 when it only costs $10-$15 million?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by it290
    MSRP is worthless, i bought doom 3 for 50 the day it came out and again for 35 a month later, both on amazon with free shipping (amazon itself, not one of its partners/private sellers) not to mention HL2 bronze for 50 from EB and i just picked up the collectors edition for 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    That's a terrible point. You pay maybe what, $12 at a theater for a movie? Then say $20 on DVD? If the movie cost $100 million to make, they're only charging $32. What's the excuse of the game makers who are charging $70 when it only costs $10-$15 million?
    Far less people buy games than watching/buy movies. id say 10-20 times less. even though a lot buy games, its no where near movies (remember, we're not talking about fiscal year gross, but the amoutn of people that saw Troy as apposed to the amount of people that played Half Life 2).

Quote Originally Posted by gruzniak
    hey guys remember when new SNES and Genny games were $70 bucks a piece, that's all i'm gonna say...
    i mentioned this before, but here it is again: that is why there was no such thing as mainstream gaming till the playstation's mid years and its cheaper 40 dollar cd media. raising the price up there again would prove disastrous to the industry.

What he said 2003_smile.gif
    gotcha, yeah movie licensed games are worthless, i cant even THINK of hte last one i bought.