Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Higher priced next gen. videogames and systems in future?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They don't just mysteriously vanish off the face of the earth or anything. Seriously...name me a game from the current generation that you flat out CANNOT find for less than it cost new. I can't even thing of one. If we're talking 3-5 year old PSX, sure....but if you waited that long, you missed the G-spot for buying cheap.
    Rez.

Hell I don't pay $50 for new games now anyways, so the price increase isn't really going to affect me

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, Rez is a good example, also RE2 for GC (until recently, apparently), and Ninja Cop for GBA. I also had a bit of a hard time finding Shining Force for GBA and the PC version of Silent Hill 3.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by it290
    Yeah, Rez is a good example, also RE2 for GC (until recently, apparently), and Ninja Cop for GBA. I also had a bit of a hard time finding Shining Force for GBA and the PC version of Silent Hill 3.
    you can find all those games for less or equal to what they cost new when they were released, might have to look a bit on ebay, but even rez you can get for 50.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally will only pay $50 for a Zelda game, or something of that magnatude. I will wait for everything else to hit the bargin bin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Well we are in the minority, but for myself their are very few games I would play $60 for...

Like say The eventual Zelda title on Nintendo Revolution. All others can wait...

It will be interesting if the "casual" gamer would bite...
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Personaly, I buy a lot of games brand new full price because I want to play them NOW. I KNOW I can wait for six months or so and save money by getting them used, but I'm willing to make that trade off.

I'll grumble about a $10 price increase, but I understand games have stayed steady in price for 10 years and they are expensive to make.

And yes, I remember paying $70 for FF2 in December of 1991.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta!
    Quote Originally Posted by it290
    Also, with regards to the comment about PC games above, I believe Half-Life 2's initial MSRP was (and still is) $54.99. Probably the same for Doom 3.
    MSRP is worthless, i bought doom 3 for 50 the day it came out and again for 35 a month later, both on amazon with free shipping (amazon itself, not one of its partners/private sellers) not to mention HL2 bronze for 50 from EB and i just picked up the collectors edition for 40.
    MSRP is not worthless. If a company says that a game should cost $59.99 versus $49.99, there is a big difference. Most of these companies are only allowed to break MSRP for special sales, so if you got Doom 3 from Amazon for $49.99 at that time, you caught a deal.

That having been said, if you look hard enough or wait a little while, usually you can find $49.99 games for $44.99 at various places within a couple weeks. That still means they are released at $49.99.

Quote Originally Posted by gruzniak
    hey guys remember when new SNES and Genny games were $70 bucks a piece, that's all i'm gonna say...
    i mentioned this before, but here it is again: that is why there was no such thing as mainstream gaming till the playstation's mid years and its cheaper 40 dollar cd media. raising the price up there again would prove disastrous to the industry.
    There was no such thing as mainstream gaming before the Playstation? I guess that the whole Wizard movie / release of Super Mario Bros. 3 / touring Nintendo World Championship thing was just a stroke of luck.

I sure think there was mainstream gaming before the Playstation... it just didn't extend as far into the culture because until the Playstation era, consoles pretty much targeted younger folks. Now, they target everyone. It was mainstream, just a different market.

And if anything, a price increase now that the market is an older one should be the exact opposite. When parents had to buy games for kids (for the most part), they looked for the cheapest thing because they figure they are all basically the same thing. I remember when my parents got me a SNES and picked up a bunch of games I would have never considered for it because they were $10 or $20 new. Now, with the market skewed older, it would follow that it should be able to support more $70.00 titles.

That all having been said, I know that it will happen -- EA Games said so first about the NFL property -- but I don't think it will last. Sega / Take 2 Interactive set the bar with NFL 2K5 and I don't think that a new console will be able to have a $70.00 game compete with a $20.00 market. If really good games keep being released at the $20.00 price point like they have been, it will make the $70.00 threshold or even $60.00 threshold much harder to get too. There are enough $50.00 games that I see that don't sell well enough at that price point that they start dropping very quickly. I think we may see more $60-70 releases, but we will continue to see games that can't make it drop quickly. There are only a few properties that seem to be able to hold up at that price right now too -- Halo, Grand Theft Auto and Resident Evil are the only three that spring to mind -- so I don't expect to see the next Midway Arcade Classics come out at a price point of $60.00. It would be suicidal.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

I think Doom for N64 had a MSRP of $79.99

It all follows the economy and technology. Carts were very expensive during this time. One reason I don't doubt this price increase is because of inflation due to the economy recovering from the Iraq war. Just look at the gas prices rising, it's simple inflation.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Until recently in the UK new games have been £37.99 ($73 dollars) and they still sell. A recent move by our games industry has seen games slashed in price to £29.99 ($57) pretty much across the board.

When the SNES was alive, £70 ($135) was fairly normal for SF2, SOM.

[must import games.... must import games]

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually Rez is still a bad examle. It could be had for a mere $20 for MONTHS before all the copies dried up. Only recently, after a couple years, has it hit the $50+ price point.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alan Greenspans of the World! You don't have to boost your prices, because you are making crappy games with high powered graphics everyone is bored with! You need to make a good fucking game!
    I am the reinforcements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    Well we are in the minority, but for myself their are very few games I would play $60 for...

Like say The eventual Zelda title on Nintendo Revolution. All others can wait...

It will be interesting if the "casual" gamer would bite...
    We are definately the minority, espcially that almost everyone on here won't buy a game unless it's in the bargain bin. But that's ok because most on here have to do that if that want any kind of collection at all.
    But on this topic, I would say the "casual" gamer would be on our side and say that's it's a little too much for a game.

There are times were I have no problem paying $50 for a GC or $30 for a GBA game the day it's released. As long as the money is coming. But when it's not, I just wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gruzniak
    hey guys remember when new SNES and Genny games were $70 bucks a piece, that's all i'm gonna say...
    Yeah, and remember how only nuts paid those prices and now games have dropped in release price?

It's simply supply and demand. If everyone refuses to pay more, they wont be released at a higher price point. Yes, I paid 80 Dollars for genesis games, but now that I am comfy in my 50 dollars for more advanced, faster, deeper, prettier games, I don't feel like jumping up that high.

The Media is cheaper now, there are development tools that do most of the rendering, computer programs for design....it takes more people to complete a project, but they are completed in a more timely manner now. The price to make a videogame has gone up, but the resale value has skyrocketed. Inflation of the industry still doesn't warrant a price tag over 50 dollars.