Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade-in DS for PSP? Should I?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Trade-in DS for PSP? Should I?

Okay heres the situation my PSP comes in a weeks vacation.

Should I trade in my DS for the PSP? Anyone else considering doing this? I really can't afford both, and the launch line-up for PSP is pretty strong. All I do is play GBA games on my DS anyway. There is no killer app for DS that interests me except advance wars(long ways off) and possibly animal crossing. And I can play Zookeeper online(or just play bejeweled on my palm for free). What say you all? I really kind of am leaning towards trading in the DS and some games, picking up a GBA SP, and putting the rest towards my PSP reservation.

Thanks,
    Moses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

trading in is a bad idea in general, and for this situation, it's even worse... it makes no sense, the DS hasn't really started yet, is there no single game coming up that's a must have for you? i can't believe that...
    -Jan

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its true that there hasn't been any good DS games, I was just playing Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga ever since I got the DS. But trading it in ...

All I have to say is make sure wat you are doing, and PSP doesn't has that good of a lineup, I am only picking up Ridge Racer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I donno I like having my portable system play portable games and my consoles play console games. PSP seems to basically be portable console games with lowered graphics. And also how long has the DS been out? A few months? For such a cool system your dropping it pretty early in it's life cycle. There are some really neat games for it out right now, like Wario Ware Mr. Drill and lots of other stuff on the way. Thats just my opinion though.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

might as well get a psp, and then drop it for the next ngage or the gizmondo.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DO NOT trade it in man. You're just gonna be losing out on more money in the long run, then paying full for the psp stuff. Besides, you gotta hold out for castlevania. Just give the DS some more time, that's what I'm doin.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Read THIS thread
    maybe it will change your mind

however......trading in=not good(for your money)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont think people are giving the DS a fair go. I mean yes Nintendo should of released a brand new game which uses the DS's features to there best ability, so other companies could follow, but you only need half a brain to work out that theres heaps of awesome games coming out for the DS.

If Mario 64 DS and Yoshi didnt satisfy you, than just wait a few months and play some of your othere systems. Just coz u bought a new DS doesnt mean you have to go out and buy a whole bunch of games for it straight away...

Anyway tyo answer your question, its pretty simple. You want Nintendo quality games such as mario, zelda, etc thrown in with STRONG 3rd party support, than keep your DS. You want the Playstation type games which IMO are mostly boring, rushed and have jagedy graphics than go for the PSP. Im sure you know what kinda games you like, but since you did buy the DS, id say you do like Nintendo games so my advice is to just wait a few more months and than see what games are available

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you sell your DS now you'll probably want to buy another one when some games that interest you come out in the future. If you need the money I'd suggest selling the games but keeping the DS. Or why don't you wait until the PSP has been out a while? That way you'd be able to afford it and there will be a better range of games to choose from. That's why I haven't bought a DS yet.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

If you can only afford one and the PSP looks more appealing then I'd trade in the DS in a second. Although before I traded it in to EB or it's like I'd try to sell it on my own. You're never going to get full price for it again, but you might as well squeeze as much dough out of it as possible (and since it's still very new you'll probably do okay).

I really only want one of the two right now as well, and I've already got a DS so I'm in a similar boat. I'm keeping my DS though - it's not like I don't enjoy it, I collect things anyway, and PSP will drop in price eventually. Plus there's always the possiblity I get it as a gift from my family anyway
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definately do not trade it in! Other than it being a bad idea, because the DS is just getting started and more games are coming, you will be losing money trading it in.
    DON'T DO IT!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I see the DS becoming like the Turbografx or the Dreamcast--Nintendo's out on a limb and there's already a slew of unique, quirky games for it, (and there's about to be a whole lot more). Those two consoles had a similar predicament to the DS, and they have ended up being highly influential platforms that get a lot of respect from people who really appreciate games. Now everyone (including me) kicks themselves for getting rid of their Turbografx stuff. Don't let the anxiety of watching Sony's marketing machine at work get to you. Even if the DS is discontinued in 2007 while the PSP rides high reissuing GTA3 over and over again, you'll be glad you had your DS, and you can have fun with it, regardless of how it does in the marketplace. Don't be a sheep. Keep your DS.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Don't trade it in.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems simple to me...

1. You don't really care for the DS at the moment.
    2. The only games you really want won't be out soon.
    3. You think the PSP lineup is better than the DS.

Solution: Trade in or sell on your own your DS for money.

It's not as if you won't be able to get a DS again when the games you want come out.

Personally I would never do this as I love my DS and there are a ton of good looking games coming, but your situation is obviously different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

For the love of God, *NO*. Selling systems (especially this early in the lifespan) is never a good idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with taking a shot a trying to sell it. I am guessing a lot of people are going to be trading in their DS to pay for their PSP. Which means you will not get much for trade if the stores are taking in a lot of DS's. But this can be said when any new systems comes out after another. Their is always going to be a group of people who trade in their system to buy the latest and greatest. But if you are not playing any of the new games, I see no reason to keep it. I know some people here can wait months for good games, but you do not sound like one of those people.

Or you can listen to this guy who obviously not bias.

x_x

You want the Playstation type games which IMO are mostly boring, rushed and have jagedy graphics than go for the PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't do it.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I am keeping my DS

I think I am going to err on the side of caution and keep the DS. Thanks again for all the input. I am usually not a quick leaper when it comes to buying systems and I may have jumped the gun in buying a DS so soon. Now that I have it though I might as well keep it and ride out the lack of support for it which I'm sure will change.

Laters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good Choice! Keep Riding The Nintendo Wave!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say DON"T DO IT! You say you can't afford both, but by trading in your DS you are throwing money out the window. Any retail outlet will take you to the cleaners on your trade in, most only give a max of 40% of retail. Then you get to pay full retail on the PSP. Sell something else, don't drive anywhere, don't eat for a week, collect bottles for the bottle depot, hold up a bank.... there is always ways to scrounge some extra cash.