View Poll Results: Do you think Nintendo will ever lead the videogame market ?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes , I think so.

29 21.48%
  • No , Sony Will.

63 46.67%
  • No , Microsoft Will.

43 31.85%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think Nintendo will lead the next generation ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you think Nintendo will lead the next generation ?

Who thinks Nintendo will lead the Market on the next generation of Videogames ??

From what i see in the net, Nintendo seems very confident on taking over the next few years, with their new home system proyect.

What do you guys reckon ??
    I Hope they do. I want quality titles not quantity.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo seems very strong in the future.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes Nintendo will win,Sony is only useing Blu-Ray and Microsoft is not useing Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and is goin to use DVD-9 disks,So Nintendo must use Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and don't forgit DVDs and CDs(DVDs and CDs will not be use for games)Plus Game Cube games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

no...microsoft will

i think this round nintendo will be last........again
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as I would like it to be otherwise, I predict the next generation of home consoles will be Nintendo's last. The simple fact is that two generations of consoles deemed undesireable by the general public have crippled their image. Now they rely on their big guns (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc) to stay afloat. The only quality franchise they've introduced to the Gamecube is Pikmin. So far they've only released DS games that are based on existing successful franchises. They've lost the guts to innovate, at least on the software front, and that will be their downfall. Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo. I own a Gamecube and will be the first in line for the Revolution, but I just don't predict the general public being as accepting of it as the Xbox 360 or the PS3. That's my two cents at least, and here's hoping I'm wrong.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tholly
    no...microsoft will

i think this round nintendo will be last........again
    DVD-9 Disks=Bad idea.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD Disks=Great Idea.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Ok first off you need to add an option for people who don't think nintendo will lead the market but can't make a call on who will. In other words people who don't know who will lead. The poll you have right now really is just a poll asking who will lead, not whether or not nintendo will. You should fix it.

Now on to the question at hand. I personally don't think nintedo will lead the market in the next round. If the revolution is a success then all 3 companies will probably be pretty close in market share. Which is the best scenario for everyone. If the market is tied then all the companies will have to compete extra hard for our money and the best quality games will be produced.

If the revolution is a failure, which it could be, Nintendo will lose even more of it's market share and the battle will be between sony and microsoft with no clear leader.

In either case Nintendo is not capable of taking the market lead. Maybe they could in Japan, but not in the US or in the overall gaming market.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless Nintendo has been hoarding all thier great ideas over the last 10 years and putting them into the "Revolution"...i find it highly unlikely that they will be #1.

As was pointed out, two generations of undesireable systems have hurt thier image and to be perfectly honest, even if everything Revolution related is done *right* that still doesnt mean the gaming public will accept it (see Dreamcast).

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Nintendo is a great company that has a VERY loyal following. The problem is, is that that followiing isn't propelling them to the top. They need 3 things to begin the LONG road from the bottom to seeing the top.

1. They need a online gameplan similiar to Microsofts

2. They need to have more 3rd party support, and have more quality 3rd party games.

3. They need to drop their image of being just a kid machine and create more games like Eternal Darkness, and games that are similar to GTA.

By adding those I think they will have a chance of climbing out of the cellar.

My opinion though is that Microsoft will dominate this round. Sony has tooo many problems with ALL of their hardware to stay on top. And X-Box Live is just AWESOME. Sony needs to develop an online gameplan similar to Microsofts. They also need to have better first party games ( I don't mean games like Jax & Daxter, Rachet & Clank, and Sly Cooper, I mean games like Socom, and games that will get a more mature crowd to buy there system).

I think Microsoft needs to improve uoon their amount of RPG's. There isn't enough to play you can count all of them in 1 hand. They also need to improve upon their platform games to compete with nintendo, and sony in this department.

Overall for me right now I think Microsoft is the leader in this round til I see something in action of Nintendo's and Sony's next gen system.

Dig Dug
    Currently Playing:
    X-Box 360: Rock Band, Dark Sector, Orange Box, Mass Effect, Scene IT DVD (360) Bully (360 Version)

Can't wait for Bioshock 2 !!!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also think that Nintendo has lost the edge with the average gamer.....which is a shame. No-one really gives the Cube a serious look....for various reasons, and yet the capabilities of that little machine are astounding when placed in the hands of the right developer.

I can't see the Revolution doing too well. Nintendo's promise of "this time it will be different" reminds me of the fable of the boy who cried wolf. That's all very well, but the average gamer isn't listening any more. Master Chief got their attention, their money and their loyalty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I predict things will be alot like the current gen. You will have nintendo in last place and Microsoft in second but nipping at the heels of Sony.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digdug
    I think Nintendo is a great company that has a VERY loyal following. The problem is, is that that followiing isn't propelling them to the top. They need 3 things to begin the LONG road from the bottom to seeing the top.

2. They need to have more 3rd party support, and have more quality 3rd party games.

3. They need to drop their image of being just a kid machine and create more games like Eternal Darkness, and games that are similar to GTA.

By adding those I think they will have a chance of climbing out of the cellar.

My opinion though is that Microsoft will dominate this round. Sony has tooo many problems with ALL of their hardware to stay on top. And X-Box Live is just AWESOME. Sony needs to develop an online gameplan similar to Microsofts. They also need to have better first party games ( I don't mean games like Jax & Daxter, Rachet & Clank, and Sly Cooper, I mean games like Socom, and games that will get a more mature crowd to buy there system).

I think Microsoft needs to improve uoon their amount of RPG's. There isn't enough to play you can count all of them in 1 hand. They also need to improve upon their platform games to compete with nintendo, and sony in this department.

Overall for me right now I think Microsoft is the leader in this round til I see something in action of Nintendo's and Sony's next gen system.

Dig Dug
    And The Big one:Less Pokemon and More Hamtaro(But Hamtaro for Teens and not Kids,And make it more like Konami's Parodius) .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is this a joke? I can't believe people are actually voting for the "yes" option. What on earth has led you people to believe that things are swinging Nintendo's way? Especially considering the release of the PSP, I certainly wouldn't want to be a Nintendo stockholder over the next few years.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FlufflePuff
    They've lost the guts to innovate, at least on the software front, and that will be their downfall.
    I really agree with most of the stuff you are saying. Except the whole innovating part, I mean even if some people don't accept it, they are trying to do that with the DS. And they say the revolution will completely innovate, but we will see with that. I am very skeptical.
    Nothing M$ and Sony do is innovating, except LIVE, and that's all. So I don't think being on top has ANYTHING to do with innovating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Morbis
    Is this a joke? I can't believe people are actually voting for the "yes" option. What on earth has led you people to believe that things are swinging Nintendo's way? Especially considering the release of the PSP, I certainly wouldn't want to be a Nintendo stockholder over the next few years.
    Well, there needs to be more options in the poll. I would've picked "no, but not last place" but there wasn't an option, so I picked "YES", they will be the leader.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Hoooo boy, it's going to get mighty toasty in this thread.

/me zips up flame retardant suit and packs pockets with ice.

First off, I gotta respond to the following:

Quote Originally Posted by digdug

What difference does it make if a particular company's console is "on top"? Just because a company's system is on top doesn't mean you'll get all the tasty games another console has. There will always be exclusives or limit-time exclusives. What's the point of having a market with different consoles then?

Having online isn't necessarily going to cause people to flock to a system. Lately the online capabilities of some games seem to be more tacked on than anything lately. Internet capability (not necessarily a service) should be put in but I think it should be up to the developers/publishers to support online with their game.

As for third party support and quality: that's kinda out of Nintendo's hands. If developers don't want to do up a good multiplatform game, don't blame Nintendo. The Cube is good hardware-can't help it if no one wants to utilize it right.

I think Nintendo has more of a "family" image than "kiddy". From a business standpoint I'd rather offer a machine that appeals to a wide audience than a machine that attracts just "mature" audiences. "Mature" is a very broad description of a game. When you say "they should make more games like Eternal Darkness or GTA", do you mean they should follow a similar structure (like the psychotic episodes that target the player rather than the character in the former or the "sandbox" open world approach of the latter) or that their future games should have similar content (blood, gore, violence, horror, debauchery, the ability to murder in cold blood, etc.)?

If "mature" means shock value, it's a path that gets old quickly. Look at old 80's "horror" flicks. Lots of B movie slashers with obligatory T&A. It was formulaic. It pretty much fizzled out by the early to mid 90's except for maybe straight-to-video releases (the latest Hellraisers come to mind...bleh).
    ---------------------------

From the way I've read things lately, I don't think Nintendo is really gunning to overthrow Sony or Microsoft. They seem to be quite content in trying to be "innovative". They've got their die hard niche market and people still flock to the latest franchise title. Nintendo is essentially the video game equivalent of Apple and they seem to be happy with that.

The real question is: will it be enough to retain retail shelf space? That's something none of us can really predict.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    I think Nintendo has more of a "family" image than "kiddy". From a business standpoint I'd rather offer a machine that appeals to a wide audience than a machine that attracts just "mature" audiences. "Mature" is a very broad description of a game. When you say "they should make more games like Eternal Darkness or GTA", do you mean they should follow a similar structure (like the psychotic episodes that target the player rather than the character in the former or the "sandbox" open world approach of the latter) or that their future games should have similar content (blood, gore, violence, horror, debauchery, the ability to murder in cold blood, etc.)?
    Attracting a wide audience is a nice goal, but when the top-selling game of the year is GTA and Nintendo doesn't have a port or a plan for a port, it makes you wonder if that's really their goal at all (and I'm not so sure it ever really was, but I would argue it should be if they would like to stay successful). They've got the "family" thing down pat, but they seem to be ignoring the large audience that wants a GTA-type gaming experience. Obviously that has negatively impacted their success in this generation, and I would imagine it will continue to negatively impact their success in the next generation if they don't change.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No Sony Will be #1 Next Gen. But Nintendo will be a Close 2nd if they do everything right. As for Microsoft Exspect that XBox 2 will be their last console since I beleve they will Close Down.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Where's the "Who cares who wins as long as we get to keep playing games" option?

I'll back off now, and allow the inevitable flame war begin.

Of course, I could be pleasantly surprised and come back to a 4 page thread that has nothing but well thought out arguements...

Can you tell the NyQuil is kicking in?
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe Nintendo needs a bit of respect.
    The Did lead the 80`s and early 90`s. and i am sure Nintendo is coming back strong.
    They will lead the handheld market and the home console too.

I am very sure about it too.