View Poll Results: When it comes to Shmups, which system will regin supreme as the ultimate shooter king? PC Engine or

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dude, I'm sure the PC Engine is cool and all, but it's all about Saturn

11 36.67%
  • The Saturn is definitely amazing, but the PC Engine was the original shooter system and still No.1 system for Shmups!

15 50.00%
  • Both of those systems were before my time, F it, I choose Dreamcast!

1 3.33%
  • I can't believe you didn't allow SNES, nevermind the slowdown, SNES rules with Shmups!

1 3.33%
  • Genesis only has 64 colors on the screen, but it's got shooters galore, and they play great!

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Shmup System Battle - Sega Saturn vs. PC Engine!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ultimate Shmup System Battle - Sega Saturn vs. PC Engine!

Ok, here it is. The Ultimate battle of the ultimate shmup game systems. The PC Engine/Turbografx-16/Duo, etc, etc, vs. Sega Saturn (USA/Japan).

There is no question that the Sega Saturn is a abolutely amazing shooter system. It has some incredible shooters on it. Mostly in Japan.

But then, when you think about the PC Engine/TG-16/Duo, those systems have some absolutely ridiculous shooters. I mean, it ain't even funny how many shooters those systems have on Hu cards and CD's. Especially Super CD's.

You also have to give the NEC systems extra love considering the time when their technology hit, compared to the Sega Saturn. The Saturn hit in very late 1994, with the PC Engine first appearing in October of 1987 in Japan, a full 7 years earlier. Pretty amazing if you think about that.

Does it sound like I'm biased? Well actually I am. I love the Saturn to death, it has amazing shooters, but the whole PC Engine/TG-16 Era is just freaking ridiculous. I mean, it's no freaking joke.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC Engine hands down...the King of Shooters...nuff said'

Yet Saturn can be compared to PSX at times when you break it down.

Since I perfer the PC Engine for shooters, I'm gonna stick with that
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Where's "Are you kidding? Saturn."?

So, uhhh....Saturn.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls 'N Ghosts
    PC Engine hands down...the King of Shooters...nuff said'

Since I perfer the PC Engine for shooters, I'm gonna stick with that

no doubt. PC Engine is F'ing absolutely ridiculous. I had no freaking idea. I'm in a state of shock right now. So many great shooters, it's so overwhelming. I've known the Saturn was great with Shmups, knew that for a while, but man, just recently discovered that the PC Engine is the absolute bomb if you have the slightest interest in shooters.

I highly suggest that people get the Magic Engine emulator, and then get all the freaking Roms from Japan and the U.S., the cream of the crop, play the crap out of it, and then come back to me and tell me that you didn't "Bow Down to a playa that is greata than you".

Even if you hate emulators. Just get Magic Engine, get the roms, all the great ones from Japan. Games like Final Soldier and Download and Gradius and all the other amazing shooters.

I know that this sytem is an extremely expensive system to collect for. Just to play the Japanese Hu cards costs a lot, in a converter or a internal mod. Then you got to buy the Hu cards and very inflated prices. Even the U.S. games aren't really cheap. Then the CD systems are where it's at, and those are very expensive as well, and the software is very expensive on CD too.

It's a very expensive system to get into, but at least try the emulator and the roms, so you can see just how amazing this platform was.

"It's a great piece of kit, mate"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice

So, uhhh....Saturn.

Look, the Saturn is amazing, I will give it to you. It's amazing with shooters. I mean the system was 32 bit and it was made for games like that. Amazing color and sound, great control and playability, no slowdown or flickering.

No doubt that's a great choice.

But have you played any of the Super CD's from Japan? Stuff like Download 2 and Spirrigan.

I don't think so.

just kidding. I respect your choice.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

So, uhhh....Saturn.

Look, the Saturn is amazing, I will give it to you. It's amazing with shooters. I mean the system was 32 bit and it was made for games like that. Amazing color and sound, great control and playability, no slowdown or flickering.

No doubt that's a great choice.

But have you played any of the Super CD's from Japan? Stuff like Download 2 and Spirrigan.

I don't think so.

just kidding. I respect your choice.
    Really? Something about the five enters between "I don't think so" and "just kidding" makes me think you don't mean it.

However, if you've played all the great Saturn shooters and all the great PCE shooters, you know more than me.

And most other people, which leads me to ask...why even post a poll?

If you already know the answer, and if most people don't have enough gaming experience to make an intelligent vote, why bother?

However, I find it really difficult to believe that *any* system has better shooters than the following:

Radiant Silvergun
    Soukyuguerntai
    Dodonpachi
    Batsugun
    Galactic Attack
    Darius Gaiden

Man, I may be biased, but that is a FEARSOME set of shooters there. If you or anyone else can honestly say the PCE shooters are better, I better set my sights on getting one of those bad boys immediately!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC Engine takes it, though the Saturn and Megadrive put up a quite a fight.

The quality and volume on PCE is unrivaled when SCDs are taken into account.

In what sense are they comparable? Many Saturn games are unrivaled by anything the PSX has, and not just in this genre. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure what you mean by that....

Some claim that the PSX version of Dodonpachi is better, but I think the scaling issue is only a problem on Saturn if it isn't played in tate mode (on a sideways RGB for instance).

Just to play the Japanese Hu cards costs a lot, in a converter or a internal mod. Then you got to buy the Hu cards and very inflated prices.
    Converters and mods shouldn't factor into it anymore IMO. If someone is starting out they should just get a Japanese system. I don't think the prices for JP HuCards are all that inflated for some of the games. I would much rather pay those prices for PC Engine games than the junk littering the shelves these days. $50 for a PS2 game is overinflated.... but not for PCE games, and many of them are more like $20-30

The Saturn and the PCE are both freaking ridiculous, actually.

Radiant Silvergun
    Soukyuguerntai
    Dodonpachi
    Batsugun
    Galactic Attack
    Darius Gaiden
    Can't say I care for RS, but those other guys are real nice, though Galactic Attack isn't really my thing (probably just bias that comes from having seen what happened to that series later).

Don't forget:

Battle Garegga
    Cotton Boomerang
    Thunderforce V
    S Parodius
    Game Paradise
    Gunbird
    Sengoku Blade
    Salamander/Thunder Force (DPack/Collections)
    etc.
    (list terminating early.... I don't want to ramble too long....)

If you or anyone else can honestly say the PCE shooters are better, I better set my sights on getting one of those bad boys immediately!
    I can honestly say that its arguable. I would track down a PCE Duo if you can manage the cost..... I had a Saturn first myself. Gotta be able to play SCD's. I don't think it's worth bothering with US HuCards these days, the JP ones were made in much larger quantities, and adapters can be like hen's teeth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I voted Saturn. I'm glad someone gave props to Gunbird. very overlooked. Also the two Strikers games and Sengoku Blade... GOOD STUFF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

I love the PC Engine! There are just so many perfect games on that system. Don't get me wrong, the Saturn has an awesome array, but it's not as good as the DUO to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

About the "modding" of PC Engines or buying a HU CARD adaptor. I never understood why people do this. JUST BUY A JAPANESE SYSTEM. They are cheap as hell.

You could even go with a PC Engine DUO and an American Turbo Grafx 16 to have the best of both worlds for WAY less than what an American DUO will cost.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted Saturn. I'm glad someone gave props to Gunbird. very overlooked. Also the two Strikers games and Sengoku Blade... GOOD STUFF
    Many Psikyo games are underrated. Gunspike is another example IMO, though thats on DC of course.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have almost all the good shooters for both the saturn and pcengine. My personal opinion is that if you only compare the Top Tier shooters. Saturn wins. RS, Souky etc. Theres nothing quite at that level on the PCE. Sapphire, the spriggan series, Gunhed, the Soldier series, parodius gradius etc are all very good, but just not quite as good as the very best saturn games.

Howeer if you look at breadth and depth of the catalog then pcengine wins. Theres more "good" shooters on that system than any ohter system this side of JAMMA.
    Visit my EBAY STORE

http://stores.ebay.com/id=611035

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008
    About the "modding" of PC Engines or buying a HU CARD adaptor. I never understood why people do this. JUST BUY A JAPANESE SYSTEM. They are cheap as hell.

Define "cheap as hell".

Because I wouldn't mind getting a japanese one, if I can plug a TurboBooster into it.

The reason why is that I have a TurboBooster that was modded for R.G.B. output.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Soukyugurentai [Otokuyo]
    Dodonpachi
    Batsugun
    +
    Quote Originally Posted by FurinkanianFrood
    Battle Garegga
    +

Kyukyoku Tiger 2 Plus
    Rayforce
    And the Salamader/Gradius/Thunderforce comps.

For teh win.

Sorry, I've played Spriggan. I've played Download 2. I've played Rayzanber II and III. I've played TerraForming. (haven't played Sylphia).

They don't compare to Terra Diver.

And as fad as it is to bash Radiant Silvergun, I'll still defend it as one of the top 5 shooters ever made.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Define "cheap as hell".

Because I wouldn't mind getting a japanese one, if I can plug a TurboBooster into it.

If you get a pcengien you need to get the Pcengine av booster. The TG16 turbobooster will not work on a pcengine. The connector is completely different.
    Visit my EBAY STORE

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sportbettor
    I have almost all the good shooters for both the saturn and pcengine. My personal opinion is that if you only compare the Top Tier shooters. Saturn wins. RS, Souky etc. Theres nothing quite at that level on the PCE. Sapphire, the spriggan series, Gunhed, the Soldier series, parodius gradius etc are all very good, but just not quite as good as the very best saturn games.

Howeer if you look at breadth and depth of the catalog then pcengine wins. Theres more "good" shooters on that system than any ohter system this side of JAMMA.

Also, I think you have to give the PC Engine somewhat of a break from the standpoint that the technology is way inferior to Saturn.

Off course the Saturn should have some kick ass shooters, simply because they are being done on a much, much more powerfull system.

Also, I agree that the PC Engine wins with sheer numbers of "really good shooters'.

The Saturn definitely has a number of Really, really, really good shooters, and then it also has alot of decent shooters, but the PC Engine has "really good" shooters for days and days and days.

On CD alone, I think there are like 50 Shooters that are worth playing. And then all of the ones on the Hu cards as well. It's almost like overkill.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Define "cheap as hell".

If you get a pcengien you need to get the Pcengine av booster. The TG16 turbobooster will not work on a pcengine. The connector is completely different.

Well, then I guess the hell with that. Because I would then need to send it to get modded for RGB, and that would increase the cost as well.

Maybe I should just pay the damn $125 and get the Flash Card and say the hell with it!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, I think you have to give the PC Engine somewhat of a break from the standpoint that the technology is way inferior to Saturn.

Off course the Saturn should have some kick ass shooters, simply because they are being done on a much, much more powerfull system.

Also, I agree that the PC Engine wins with sheer numbers of "really good shooters'.

The Saturn definitely has a number of Really, really, really good shooters, and then it also has alot of decent shooters, but the PC Engine has "really good" shooters for days and days and days.

On CD alone, I think there are like 50 Shooters that are worth playing. And then all of the ones on the Hu cards as well. It's almost like overkill.
    Hey you get no argument from me Pcengine is my favorite system of all time followed by Saturn and Neo Geo.
    Visit my EBAY STORE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Empty argument. If you're saying that the PC Engine shooters should be set on a grading curve to compete with the Saturn, you've already deflated your position.

Off course the Saturn should have some kick ass shooters, simply because they are being done on a much, much more powerful system.
    See above.

sportbettor said "good" shooters. Not "really good". For every "good" shooter you can name on the PC Engine (SCD or otherwise), I can name one that isn't worth putting in your machine, much less buying.

(ok, that's a little extreme, but the point is there are quite a few very uninspired shooters on the platform, a larger ratio than on the Saturn).

Also, and this is really bothering me, that comment about playing stuff like Download 2 and Spriggan... "I don't think so" is really bothering me.

Have YOU played Battle Garegga? Have YOU played Batsugun? Have YOU played Terra Diver?

For you to be so one sided in your argument indicates that you haven't.

It's fine you want to discuss this, just lose the confrontational attitude.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wait a minute... people play shmups on the Saturn?

*blissfully pops in Street Fighter Alpha 2*

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.