Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something I did a year or so ago (best games ever)

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great list man! It's really nice how you have the pics beside each game. My only complaint is how Halo and Final Fantasy VII placed so high, but I have to admit that I did see that coming. I also think that Super Mario Bros should have placed higher, but what do I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People are worrying way too much about the order. Given the way the list was put together, popularity obviously has a lot more weight than quality. Plus, IT'S A LIST. There's no such thing as a list that you're going to totally agree with unless you yourself put it together. So get a grip, yeesh.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    Seiken Densetsu 3 was there as well. But on the subject of Japanese-exclusives, it's kind of saddening to see the second GBA Fire Emblem on the list, when all the home console Fire Emblem games totally blow it out of the water. Just goes to show that when it comes to Japanese-exclusives, American gamers are poor at picking the truly best ones because they're limited to what has gotten fan translated and such (unless they got the balls to learn Japanese or play a game in a language they don't know). I know that if I did my own personal list of what I think are the best games I've ever played, I'd have a ton of Japanese-exclusives that the average American gamer, regardless of how "hardcore" he/she is, has never heard of.
    We aren't in Japan. I'd expect any "best games ever" list from a website that doesn't end in ".jp" to be restricted to games in the english language.

Not going through the nigh unbearable hassle to learn a language to play games doesn't make me any less hardcore than you are. If that's really something you'd do, you aren't hardcore, you're insane. On the same note, playing through games without a clue whats going on really defeats the purpose of playing the game.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

You know, I gotta wonder do so many people really consider Ocarina of Time the best game ever, or did they all fall victim to the "Game of the Century!" hype? Sometimes I think people call it the best game ever only because they think they're expected to say that. It's like how kids will talk about how legendary Pong, Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., etc. are, yet they never even played them (or for the flip side, it's like how people will call E.T. the worst game ever when they haven't played that either, yet they heard people on G4 and such saying so).

As for myself, Ocarina of Time isn't even my favorite Zelda, let alone my favorite game ever. I don't think it would even make my top 25 (but, yes, it is a great game and very well-designed).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

LttP for me also was a far better game than Ocarina. Although, I never did get super deep into Ocarina like I did LttP and I don't think it's the actual game that's driving the decision rather than the nostalgia. Although, I guess the same could be said now for Resident Evil 4. I absolutely think thats the best game of the series and definitely ranks in my top 10 games ever, but it's fresh to me and really sucked me in.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    We aren't in Japan. I'd expect any "best games ever" list from a website that doesn't end in ".jp" to be restricted to games in the english language.
    Well, then it should be appropriately titled "Best US or English Games Ever", but meh, I don't want to nitpick too much. I just find it funny to see a couple Japanese games represented on a list that's otherwise US releases. Out of all the Japanese-exclusives ever made, there are better titles to pick than Tales of Phantasia and Seiken Densetsu 3, in my opinion. :P

Not going through the nigh unbearable hassle to learn a language to play games doesn't make me any less hardcore than you are. If that's really something you'd do, you aren't hardcore, you're insane. On the same note, playing through games without a clue whats going on really defeats the purpose of playing the game.
    Insane? What better reason to learn a language is there than to further enjoy something that interests you? I'm not even close to knowing Japanese, but I have picked up a lot of stuff solely because of my interest in games, manga, and anime. It's better than learning a language just to meet a school requirement or something.

Anyway, I wasn't saying I was more "hardcore"; I was pointing out that even so-called hardcore American gamers don't even know of a lot of the best games ever made, just because they were Japan-exclusives. It's kind of sad, really. It's kind of cool to have games that are my own little "secret", but on the other hand, I wish everyone could enjoy these games like me. It's even sadder when a lot of these games require NO knowledge of Japanese, like Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. Speaking of which, how many games out there would you really have NO CLUE what you're doing in without the language to help you? Language is only a barrier in a few genres, and even then many RPGs and such can be quite easily followed without knowledge of the language because they're so formulaic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Well I play mostly RPGs, and I know theres an assload of SFC games I want to get my hands on but if I did, they'd be purely for show. Playing RPG's with no idea whats going on without a translation sucks, the dialog is 80% of the genre.

Maybe I'm just bitter that I'll never play Dragon Warrior V and VI, Seiken Densetsu 3, or the SFC Fire Emblem games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Out of all the Japanese-exclusives ever made, there are better titles to pick than Tales of Phantasia and Seiken Densetsu 3, in my opinion. :P
    You realize those two games made the list because of their successful fan-translations. So pretty much every game on that list *is*there because of their English version, even the couple of JP-exclusives that made it.

Maybe I'm just bitter that I'll never play Dragon Warrior V and VI, Seiken Densetsu 3, or the SFC Fire Emblem games.
    You won't? Why? I've beaten all of those except for Fire Emblem, and I don't speak a word of Japanese. Again, they've been translated...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Unless I'm sticking the game into my system, and playing it on my TV, I'm not playing it. I don't play emulated games, I learned my lesson when I got continually dicked over playing a translated FFV rom a few years back, kept losing my saves. Not because I'm dumb, but becuse it was a shitty rom.

Plus, I've got so many freaking games to play that I OWN that I don't feel the need to come to the PC for emulation of games that never made it stateside, but if they were sitting on the shelf with the rest of the games I have yet to play I'm sure they'd see some action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't want to, that's fine, butl then you only have to blame your own stubbornness for not playing Dragon Quest 5. There are easy ways of checking to see if your rom is good or corrupt. And you never have to worry about your in-game saves getting wiped if you save state, which all good emulators support.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea this list definetly feels very random. though, still a good list, im pretty sure minesweeper shoud'nt be included in anyones greatest game of all time list. alot of these games seem liked they were threw in there real fast just to make the list bigger(250) and not enough thought went into them. the best way to make a list is kinda of like what gamefaqs did and just have people vote on the games and narrow them down till the most popular games of all time. oh and right away when i didnt see xenogears in the top 10, i knew this list failed big time.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    If you don't want to, that's fine, butl then you only have to blame your own stubbornness for not playing Dragon Quest 5. There are easy ways of checking to see if your rom is good or corrupt. And you never have to worry about your in-game saves getting wiped if you save state, which all good emulators support.
    Nah, I've got plenty of statside publishing companies to blame for thinking the games wouldn't sell. I know I'm not alone when I say that emulation just doesn't feel right to me. I simply can't play emulated games, it's difficult whereas I can dump two or three hours into a console RPG no problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by unbroken
    yea this list definetly feels very random. though, still a good list, im pretty sure minesweeper shoud'nt be included in anyones greatest game of all time list. alot of these games seem liked they were threw in there real fast just to make the list bigger(250) and not enough thought went into them. the best way to make a list is kinda of like what gamefaqs did and just have people vote on the games and narrow them down till the most popular games of all time. oh and right away when i didnt see xenogears in the top 10, i knew this list failed big time.
    Sorry dude, Xenogears doesn't belong in the 10 best games of all time list anywhere, not even when strictly talking about RPG's or PSOne games, or even PSOne RPG's. Well, maybe when speaking strictly of PSOne RPG's. I loved the game until i stuck the second disc in the drive and it completely turned me off. I ended up finishing it, but it just reeked of "AH SHIT! Deadline, shovel that last bit of story out there and put it out!" Finished games only should qualify for any best games ever list

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

[quote="Snapple"]
    Out of all the Japanese-exclusives ever made, there are better titles to pick than Tales of Phantasia and Seiken Densetsu 3, in my opinion. :P
    You realize those two games made the list because of their successful fan-translations. So pretty much every game on that list *is*there because of their English version, even the couple of JP-exclusives that made it.[quote]

Exactly, that's why I think it's kind of sad. :P The popularity of the fan translations got those games on the list, not because they're better than all other Japan-exclusives ever made.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Nah, I've got plenty of statside publishing companies to blame for thinking the games wouldn't sell.
    You can't really blame them either. In 90% of the cases (a percentage I just pulled out of my ass), I'd say they made the correct decision in thinking they couldn't make a decent profit. RPGs STILL aren't great sellers in the US unless they're Final Fantasy, and they sure as heck weren't back then. It's expensive to localize an RPG, so a lot of the time it isn't worth it. Plus, a lot of those Super Famicom games had other reasons for not being published. For one, Enix of America closed down in the middle of the SNES's life. There was no one to localize Dragon Quest 6 (and other Enix titles), even if they wanted to. Other games, like Seiken Densetsu 3, Tales of Phantasia, and Star Ocean, were the largest that Super Famicom games ever got, and English text takes more storage space than Japanese. The price would've been way too prohibitive to the consumer for them to make a reasonable profit. And other titles just came way too late with not enough time for a localization to take place before the SNES died and everyone moved on to N64 or PlayStation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Yet they've been fan translated now and wouldn't quite cost much of anything to slap on a compilation disc for PSOne or PS2

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, it's a whole different story these days. I know I would MUCH rather play a game on a real console with an official localization (even if not all are so great) than play a ROM with a fan translation of questionable quality and accuracy. I don't think we're doing too terrible, though. After all those years, we got Final Fantasy 2 and 5 (and 3 coming soon?), Tactics Ogre, and others. We also got ports and remakes of quite a few RPGs that are cheaper than the SNES versions (Final Fastasy 4, 6, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 1, 2, etc.).

We're basically at the mercy of Japan because if they don't do a port or remake there, they're not going to do one here either. I just wish Nintendo would bring over Mother 1 & 2. What's really weird is that Namco had THREE opportunities to bring Tales of Phantasia over (SNES, PlayStation, GBA), yet they passed up every chance. o_O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I dunno, but they brought Tales of Symphonia and I absolutely loved it. I really think now, especially that Square and Enix are one, that they could release a sweet compilation of RPG's for PS2 of a half dozen unreleased stateside games.

And to Nintendo, I hate them for what they've done to me with Earthbound. It's a crime to bring ONE fantastic game over and tell us to ignore the rest. it'd be different if there weren't any others, but they're there and they just wont release them. Aside from that though, I think we're doing fairly well here with the stateside RPG releases. I've got my hands more than full with PS2 RPG's to make my way through, and I could definitely see us not getting Xenosaga or Shin Megami in the SNES days.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    You know, I gotta wonder do so many people really consider Ocarina of Time the best game ever, or did they all fall victim to the "Game of the Century!" hype? Sometimes I think people call it the best game ever only because they think they're expected to say that. It's like how kids will talk about how legendary Pong, Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., etc. are, yet they never even played them (or for the flip side, it's like how people will call E.T. the worst game ever when they haven't played that either, yet they heard people on G4 and such saying so).

As for myself, Ocarina of Time isn't even my favorite Zelda, let alone my favorite game ever. I don't think it would even make my top 25 (but, yes, it is a great game and very well-designed).
    you my friend are very wise...i played OoT, loved it, but its not even in the top 25 games either....the hype is there and its been drilled into my brain as BEST GAME EVER BEST GAME EVER....that i myself sometimes tell people that it is...only to snap out of it soon enough....its hard man when sites and shows literally drill it into your brain...

PLEASE do this list again....i love it even though I too dont think the order is at all right, the content is there and thars what matters...im sure games like RE4 and HL2 would get really high up on that list now...and games like Fire Emblem would drop off totally...it totally depends on whats hot and new at the time, and its nice to see some forgotten games brought up..they really have stood the test of time...only thing im scared of is Halo 2 being in the top 10....cuz we all know it would make it...

only game that came to mind missing (im sure there are MANY more) is Virtua Tennis....and i dont remember seeing metal slug on the list but i dont remember...

again, great job
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger
    PLEASE do this list again....i love it even though I too dont think the order is at all right, the content is there and thars what matters...im sure games like RE4 and HL2 would get really high up on that list now...and games like Fire Emblem would drop off totally...it totally depends on whats hot and new at the time, and its nice to see some forgotten games brought up..they really have stood the test of time...only thing im scared of is Halo 2 being in the top 10....cuz we all know it would make it...
    again, great job
    With the fanboyism that was rampant the first time I did this, I'm guessing the newest game that would get the biggest bias-inspired push is World of Warcraft (maybe Halo 2, but probably the former). Both of those would score really, really high. As far as OoT goes, it's been out for around 6 1/2 years now...I always thought that was long enough for the "Best Game EVAR" hype to die down. (but appearantly it wasn't?) I'll definitely look into making this list again, be it in the immediate future or a little bit further down the road.