Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Official PSP Thread!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Hey! Here's a question I have been meaning to ask.

Why is it the screenshots on Lik-Sang show the menu as being blue rather than green?

Is there a way to change it? The PSP has the coolest, nicest, smoothest looking splash screen to menu transition I've ever seen, I'd love to be able to customize the color though. Green's nice, blue's also, but I'd love to be able to pick a color. Like red or orange.
    From the PSP Hardware FAQ at Gamefaqs

A. The PSP's menu changes colour every month according to the PSP's time and
    date settings. The colours are:
    January: Light Grey
    February: Light Yellow
    March: Light Green
    April: Pink
    May: Green
    June: Light Purple
    July: Cyan/Light Blue
    August: Blue
    September: Purple
    October: Yellow
    November: Brown
    December: Red

At the time of writing, there is no way to manually set the colour, other than
    by changing the date to the colour of the month you require.

Please note: There have been some reports that the PSP does not properly change the menu colour if the PSP is asleep over the month change. This is apparently automatically corrected once the PSP has been turned off, or a game played.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I was really hoping we could avoid the "atrocities of the PSP" in this thread, which should be a celebration by the system's owners.

If it MUST continue I'll split the topic and let you guys duke it out.

PS I love this thing.
    I'll shut up now and return to celebrating. :)

-- Z.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I was really hoping we could avoid the "atrocities of the PSP" in this thread, which should be a celebration by the system's owners.

If it MUST continue I'll split the topic and let you guys duke it out.
    As a bystander, I've found the particular exchange in question to be MUCH more informative and insightful than the assorted "PSP is great!" celebration posts. Celebration of a great shift in gaming is wonderful, and it should have its own thread, but I think this is a product of only being "allowed" one PSP thread, while it's obvious that there should be a few more - if not a dedicated (temporary) forum of its own.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

No, I don't have a PSP yet (but I will comment on the launch).

Why, you ask? First of all, look at the systems I've bought in the past year:

AV Famicom-$95
    Famicom Disk System (with games)-$100
    Genesis (with games)-$25
    Power Base Converter-$15
    DS-$149.99
    PS2 (with ATV Off Road Fury 2 & online adaptor)-$149.99
    PSOne (with three near-worthless games)-$69.99
    Sega CD-$40

Throw in some games, and I'm kinda poor right now.

Also, we have the hardware issue. Sony's rep in electronics is falling, and the quality of their console systems (or their quality assurance, at least) seems to prove the point. Even if the UMD drive/launcher and the Square button issues have been solved, I ain't buying a $250 portable with less battery life than a Gameboy Color. (The Target pre-sell info actually plays off the poor battery life as a way to sell more battery packs, so our store can increase the all-important software & accesories to consoles sold ratio.)

I'm not impressed with the games (as rehashes/sequels on the DS at least have the benefit of experimenting with the touch pad and mic to intrinsically distance themselves from the prior and/or PSP equivalents), but launch libraries usually and should look kinda boring compared to the library when a system gets retired.

It should be noted that my Target had about 10 in stock yesterday morning. I have no clue how many we got for Thursday, though, so no idea if it can be called a slam dunk (I doubt it was, though). Call me a skeptic or a Nintendo fanboy, but Sony has to prove to me that this is something worth buying. Nintendo, on the other hand, doesn't (it's just a waiting game for the "right time" with their consoles, since there's always something new with the Big N).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

Default UMD movies

I picked one up Friday afternoon; I had tried at a couple of Gametop stores that were sold out. I found 2 left at Micro Center, then got games at the Target nearby which had 4 PSP's in stock.

For the record - no dead pixels so far.

Question: Does anyone know if the faceplate is going to be easily changed? It looks like the analog stick and one small screw on the bottom are all that's keeping it on. I anticipate this thing looking pretty messy after a lot of use. Seems like there would be a whole aftermarket for personalized faceplates like with cell phones.

Why didn't they print anything on the back of the case inserts? Kinda defeats the purpose of using clear cases just to look at white paper.

Here's a list of UMD movie releases that I got from Home Media Retailing Magazine.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment (Disney)
    National Treasure (May 3 - same date as the DVD), Pirates Of The Caribbean (no date), Reign Of Fire (no date), Hero (no date), Kill Bill Vol. 1 (no date)

Sony/Columbia/MGM (all April 19)
    XXX, Hellboy, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, House Of Flying Daggers (same date as the DVD)

Lions Gate (no dates)
    Saw, Punisher, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Open Water, House Of The Dead, Rambo: First Blood, Total Recall, Young Guns, Step Into Liquid, Universal Soldier, Stargate, National Lampoon's Van Wilder

Lions Gate will add extra content when possible.

Looks like action movies aimed at the early-adopter demographic

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: UMD movies

Quote Originally Posted by l_lamb
    Why didn't they print anything on the back of the case inserts? Kinda defeats the purpose of using clear cases just to look at white paper.
    Metal Gear Acid has (sweet) artwork on the back of its insert, so it's certainly doable. Cost/production issue, I'd guess.

-- Z.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been thinking about getting THUG2 Remix, but I've already got THUG2. Anyone who has it...is there much/enough of a difference to justify having both?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is so hard to read. One reply about batteries, to one about bad pixels, to one about the DS, and then one about how great the PSP screen is -- headache! I really liked the separated forum before at the DS launch.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually this thread isn't too bad, better than some threads at CAG that have 80+ pages during TRU or CC clearance.

For the record of foolishness, check out how many PSPs this guy bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8180996092

OMG, anyone with common sense would think twice about picking them all up, this guy must be bankrupt now, the only winner out of this ordeal is eBay, doesn't it (eBay) wish everyone to be this foolish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok...I think I'm getting one tomorrow (that is if I can find one) and I want some advice. I already am planning to get one game, but I'm not sure on the second. Which would you guys recommend between Twisted Metal and Untold Legends?

We shall see what happens.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    Ok...I think I'm getting one tomorrow (that is if I can find one) and I want some advice. I already am planning to get one game, but I'm not sure on the second. Which would you guys recommend between Twisted Metal and Untold Legends?

Same Here! I am picking one up tommorow, please recommend what games to pick up for me. Is Ape Escape any good? Looked decent.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Cracked and picked one today. Gamestop sent me an email coupon for an additional 20 percent trade in credit for items traded in for a psp. The machine is a work of art. It might do too much for its own good. I get the feeling you have to be very gentle with it. My real concerns forget the dead pixels is can it take the handheld beating? I found 2 dead pixels but I am going to keep it because I probably would not have notice it if people weren't obsessing and overblowing the issue. On the other side I think some people have valid concerns, if I have one dead now will I have twenty in 5 months? Will the issue ever be resolved I doubt it because with perfect quality comes a perfect price. I believe whoever won the lcd contract was the lowest bid and they probably have a dead pixel percentage agreement with sony. The real test is to see where these units will be 2 to 3 years from now if it stands up and units are still working I will be impressed.
    neo geo system

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923

Same Here! I am picking one up tommorow, please recommend what games to pick up for me. Is Ape Escape any good? Looked decent.
    I really reccomend Ridge Racer! Excellent graphics, perfect controls, it's in my opinion the best game for the PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I said it before, Lumines OWNS MY SOUL!!!! It will own YOURS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    I said it before, Lumines OWNS MY SOUL!!!! It will own YOURS!
    Yep, thats the one I'm definitely getting (also I'm getting Mercury next week). Just not sure what else to get. Ridge Racers looks nice, but I'm not a huge racing fan...and to be quite honest, I'm perfectly happy with the DS version.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Personaly, I would go with Untold Legends. I brought my PSP over to my aunt's house today and my cousin was hooked on it.

Yeah, it would REALLY help if we could have a few more threads at least. Joe, please?

I also vouch strongly for Pelican's line of products -- the Power Brick is a great device, the front shield protector attaches at the top, does'nt block anything, and does a great job of protecting the unit, the UMD holders are good, and either Pelican or Hori make good screen peely thingies for the front of the PSP screen to help save wear and tear.

Happy to see there are more UMD movies coming out. It will alwyas be a nich market but it's great for people on the go.

And Zach, I'm also having as much fun as you just simply coverting and experimenting with and copying video clips to my PSP through PSP Video 9.

Hey, I'd like to get the 1 Gig memory stick also but I did'nt want to pay $200+ for it, which is why I went with the 512. Someone eariler found a site with one for $120 that did'nt seem that bad a price, but I'll stay with the 512 for now.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Someone eariler found a site with one for $120 that did'nt seem that bad a price, but I'll stay with the 512 for now.
    Yeah, that was me...buy.com has them for $120 but they are on backorder. I can't imagine having to wait forever with something like that to come back in stock, so it may be a good deal.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I broke down and bought one last night at Toys R Us in Boca Raton, FL before my flight back to NYC today.

I'm extremely impressed. I only got Wipeout Pure with the system - that game is the system seller for me, and I'm loving it - thank god it does not remind me of Fusion at all.

I have one dead pixel, one tiny 'nick' right in the center of the screen.

Has anyone noticed thier speakers acting funky? I can't tell if it's my ears or not, but the speakers are sounding kinda funky (distorted/popped sounding) from time to time in the Wipeout Pure game mode selection menu...

Regardless, I don't think I'm going to be playing with my DS anymore, at least not until they start putting out some games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D
    I broke down and bought one last night at Toys R Us in Boca Raton, FL before my flight back to NYC today.

I'm extremely impressed. I only got Wipeout Pure with the system - that game is the system seller for me, and I'm loving it - thank god it does not remind me of Fusion at all.

Has anyone noticed thier speakers acting funky? I can't tell if it's my ears or not, but the speakers are sounding kinda funky (distorted/popped sounding) from time to time in the Wipeout Pure game mode selection menu...

Regardless, I don't think I'm going to be playing with my DS anymore, at least not until they start putting out some games.
    Is Ys VI coming out in North America or are we being left out again along with all the other Ys remkes? That would have sold the PSP even more if it was released for it on launch. Well hopefully they will. In Japan Ys VI was relesed on the 24 for both the PSP and the PS2 and both version are Identical from what I can tell. Oh and Jive3D you might have something stuck in one of the tiny speaker holes that might be causing the distortion. And I guess you don't mind but I've said it before I will not stand for even one dead pixel. If I'm paying that much for a system I want the thing I'm going to be looking at the most to perform as perfectly as it's suppose to without any defects, I think that's a pretty fair argument. And there are supposed to be 48 DS games released between the end of May and the end of September. About 10 more between now and May.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D

Is Ys VI coming out in North America or are we being left out again along with all the other Ys remkes? That would have sold the PSP even more if it was released for it on launch. Well hopefully they will. In Japan Ys VI was relesed on the 24 for both the PSP and the PS2 and both version are Identical from what I can tell. Oh and Jive3D you might have something stuck in one of the tiny speaker holes that might be causing the distortion. And I guess you don't mind but I've said it before I will not stand for even one dead pixel. If I'm paying that much for a system I want the thing I'm going to be looking at the most to perform as perfectly as it's suppose to without any defects, I think that's a pretty fair argument. And there are supposed to be 48 DS games released between the end of May and the end of September. About 10 more between now and May.
    I agree about Y's being a system seller. I REALLY REALLY want a PSP, but I also REALLY REALLY want a reason to buy one. I need for a must-buy game to come out so that I can say "Well, I was going to hold off on buying one, but damnit this game is awsome." I'm not saying that some of the launch titles arent good, and in fact I will probably pick a couple of them up down the road when I get a PSP, but I need a decent RPG or Gran Turismo or something to come out to force me to buy the friggin thing. Because I would only have one game to start with, I want it to be something that I will play the crap out of, and RPGs are what I play the most, so if the system had even an OK RPG, I would be much more inclined to buy it. As it stands now, I would get untold legends because it is at least similar to baldour's Gate / Dungeon Seige / whatever. What I really want however is a true RPG, and Y's would fit the bill nicely.

Chris