Thread: Well I beat the import Zelda for Gamecube last week.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Well I beat the import Zelda for Gamecube last week.

This is not a review, just my thoughts on the game.

First let me start off by saying I own a 34inch 16X9 HDTV and playing this game in progressive scan was amazing. Ok I feel better now I got that out, anyway on to my thoughts. The first thing that hit me when I loaded the game up was WoW, The Legend of Zelda has become a Saturday morning cartoon.

As we all know the new Zelda is cell shaded, I remember when I first saw the images on my PC the night of SpaceWorld 2001, when Nintendo of Japan introduced the new art direction for the game, I was extremely angry. I thought how could they do this to my beloved Zelda series, I began to question Nintendo's commitment to the mature gamers that day. I wondered how they could think that this game would sell to the over 15 casual gaming crowd over here with such a cutesy look. Plus how the big time Zelda fans would take to this new look. Now we all know if they made Zelda in black in white,cell shaded, or whatever we would buy it, but this was a bold move on their part. So after getting over the intial shock, here I was about to play my beloved Zelda franchise in all it's Gamecube glory.

The gameplay is styled around the N64 games, with a lock on target, 3rd person veiw point, automatic jumping, and 1st person viewing for shooting arrows and what not. If you have played the N64 versions of Zelda you'll feel right at home with the controls. As with previous installments in the series the game takes place in an over world, with dungeons scattered through out the land, and of course it's our hero's job to traverse the world, meet new faces, unravel the mysteries of the dungeons, and get the nessasary power ups to finish the game. Typical Zelda style, you will not be dissapointed, as there are many mini games, and side quests to engage in as well.

The main focus of the story this time around though is, Hyrule has become flooded 100 years after the story of the N64 game Ocarina of Time. So now instead of having the normal overworld to travel on by foot, or horse, we now have a land of water. An endless ocean, with the mountian tops of old hyrule peaking through the water as islands. The main way of transporting yourself around this ocean is by sailboat, and let me just say this is very,very cool. Later on in the game your sail boat will take on new attachments to help you along in the quest. O did I mention the boat is actualy a living,breathing, talking character. Pretty cool stuff indeed. Now to put into perspective how large the overworld is, think of a square divided into 8 squares across and 10 squares down, well in this game to sail thru one square takes about 2 min to sail thru, no joke, this game is huge. I was very overwhelmed early on in the game at the sheer size of the ocean, and thats not even thinking about the islands, and the many towns and dungeons on these islands. So I thought wow, this game may take a while to finish, and in the end it did. It took me over 50 hours to complete the main quest, and thats not even getting into any of the mini games, or sidequest's.

The developers put it best about the game, they said " this game takes place in 3 acts". The begining act being to find 3 orbs, the middle act, well I wont say due to the spoiler nature of it, and the last act powering up the master sword, yes the master sword is in the game and if you think that's a spoiler it's really not considering the damn sword has been in every Zelda game ever.

Now that I've brought those up to speed on the game who had little knowledge of it, I want to let ya guys know how I really felt while playing the game.

Being a huge Zelda fan, the minute I stepped into the fist dungeon I was loving it. Everything about this game screams quality, the graphics, the sounds, the music, and the gameplay, and for the first time in my opinion the STORY was excellent! Like I said before the game took me around 50 hours to complete, and alot of that time was spent in the dungeons, one dungeon I spent 3 hours in till I beat it. 3 hours in one dungeon!!! For the record I am no dummy either, these puzzels in the game are pretty thought provoking, I recommend never cheating by going online, or reading a strategy guide, play this game without those items and your gonna be in for one brain hurting ride! One of my complaints, with the game is the bosses were all very easy, I guess when you consider the dugeons are a bitch it kinda evens itself out though. One thing I can't stress enough though is, is the story in this installment is very good. In fact this game is a direct SEQUEL to Ocarina of Time. This is a first for the Zelda franchise, and if you never played through Ocarina on N64, I suggest you do before this new game hit's USA shores in March. It'll help you understand the story much better if you play through Ocarina. I havn't really said much about the graphics, and thats because it's a mixed bag with me. I saw the first tech demo's for the Zelda GameCube game and it looked super realistic, using all the tricks the Gamecube could do. I was anticipating the game to have that look, and go for the realistic art style that Ocarina had taken. So when I saw the cell shaded direction the game had taken, like I said before I wasn't much of a fan. In the end yes the game looks amazing, it really does look like a cartoon has come to life on your TV that you can control. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't marvel at the look of the game. With that said though, I still would have rathered a more realistic looking game. I don't want Zelda to be cute and funny, I want it to be dark and moody. Overall though the game is another Nintendo masterpiece, and I had lots of fun playing it, and in the end I think thats all that matters. I highly recommend this game, and if you have a GameCube you have to pick this up on it's north american release date of March 24th, 2003!

Thanks for reading my immpressions guys.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thats a very intresting story Funcojoe about when you played zelda for gamecube

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well thank you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the way I also got the bonus disk with Ocarina and the Master's Quest of Ocarina on it as well. There's not much of a difference from the 64 version's, just the resolution is a little better. The Master's quest or better known as URA Zelda is basicly a Ocarina Remix, with new item placement's in the dungeons and whatnot.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Thanks for your comments, Joe. I've got my US version on pre-order. I'm looking forward to it now more than ever!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Thanks for your comments, Joe. I've got my US version on pre-order. I'm looking forward to it now more than ever!

I reserved mine a few weeks ago too.I cant wait.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man, i can't wait to play zelda on gamecube.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*Head explodes*

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really can't wait for this game, but I just wanted to clear one thing up.
    The Game is not cel-shaded, otherwise they wouldn't be able to do the thing with the eyes (or so I'm told).
    Conform. Consume. Obey.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Funcojoe
    By the way I also got the bonus disk with Ocarina and the Master's Quest of Ocarina on it as well. There's not much of a difference from the 64 version's, just the resolution is a little better. .

When playing these games, does the GameCube emulate a N64? (Like PS2's Activision Anthology.) Or are these games modified ports? (Like PS1's Activision Collection.)
    :scatter: :scrambleup: :turn-l:
    FAVE SYSTEMS: Atari-VCS/Commodore=64/C=Amiga/Super Nintendo/Playstation2

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had mine reserved since November 5th at Gamestop! Can't wait!!!!
    I love games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The N64 games are not just straight emulated ports, I mean they can't be if the resolution was upped. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I mean the Cube isn't doing the resolution bump itself, it had to be coded in there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GameCube could use a "smoothing" function like PS2 does when running PS1 games to increase resolution. How signifigant is the difference between 640x400 N64 and GameCube's resolution?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly there isn't much of a difference at all, I am running it through pro scan on a HDTV too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

?What other extras are on the "free" disk? Videos? Are they any good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Funcojoe
    The N64 games are not just straight emulated ports, I mean they can't be if the resolution was upped. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I mean the Cube isn't doing the resolution bump itself, it had to be coded in there.
    The N64 (and ps1 emu's too actually) emulators can bump the resolution to over 320x200 or whatever the N64's native rez is. Mario 64 looks awesome at 800x600. As for the Gamecube version of OOT, haven't even seen a screen of it.

I got a chance to play (jap) Zelda WW at a gamestop in Dallas on the 1st. I only played for 2 minutes of the first dungeon and put donw the controller. I was drooling heavy, I want this game so bad. I don't think I've ever pre-ordered a game sooner.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Trust me... I'm about 2/3 of the way through the Jap version and all I can say is "YOU MUST HAVE THIS GAME!"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Trust me... I'm about 2/3 of the way through the Jap version and all I can say is "YOU MUST HAVE THIS GAME!"
    Damn you... damn you, damn you, damn you all!..

Why must everyone torment me so!!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Great review, looks like this game should be a hit then!!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

If people can get past the apparent graphics style. Trust me, there are folks who think the game will not perform well in the US due to it looking the way it does. Maybe that's why the free disc was also thrown in... tactical incentive?

On the other hand, you HAVE to see the stuff moving... it is fucking incredible. Especially blah blah blah.... okay... SPOILER SPACE TIME!

When you go to retrieve the Master Sword and Hyrule Castle is underwater. Everything is frozen in time and the whole background is in grey scale and still. You're still in colour and the triforce bits glow yellow. And when you get the sword, and everything suddenly gets colour and moves once again. My jaw dropped a bit. Some of the looks and scenery is unbelievable here. And for those you wondering....

BIGGER SPOILER SPACE!

"You know who" (on both counts) are present and correct

END BIGGER SPOILER SPACE!

Plus the dungeons are superbly designed. Not huge, but plenty of tricky puzzles. Especially when you have to start taking control of other inanimate objects to get goals done in the God Tower. And the runes system should work despite trimming the characters back from 71 to 26.

END SPOILER SPACE!

It is boldly coloured admitedly, and that takes a little getting used to. Plus you have to sail a little aimlessly at times trying to find certain islands you must visit that aren't immediately marked on your map. But really this is a classic so soon after Metroid Prime, it is quite incredible. It just flows... despite not being able to read the Japanese