Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here get into gaming kinda late in life?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody here get into gaming kinda late in life?

When I mean "get into gaming", I mean become somewhat of a Hardcore Gamer.

Myself personally, I became a "Hardcore" gamer rather late in life, at least in video game terms. My first video game system was a Atari 2600 at the age of 7 years old. Me and my brother played the 2600 for several years, but I was not anything close to being a "hardcore" gamer. Then my dad bought us a Atari 800XL computer. I played around with that a little bit, but then I basically stopped playing video games for quite some time. I didn't start playing them again until my Mom got me a NES system for Xmas. At that time I was a teenager, and not reallly into games that much either. After awhile, me and my high school buddies started playing sports games on the NES, and we would have little tournaments and leagues and stuff, but all we played were sports games. I had no interest in any action type games at that time. So I still wasn't hardcore in any way. More of a casual sports gamer.

Then in 1989, at the age of 19, I bought a TurboGrafx-16. The main reason I got one, was because I saw pictures of the TV Sports games in a GamePro and the graphics looked really good at the time. I bought that system hoping to play more advanced sports games. Me and my buddies played World Class Baseball quite a bit, but again, I was still more of a casual gamer.

In 1990, at the age of 20 is when I really started to become more "hardcore" into gaming. The TG-16 really didn't have much in the way of sports games, and to justify all the money I spent on it, I started buying a bunch of non sports games. Games like Legendary Axe and Splatterhouse and Bonk's Adventure. It was at this point that I started to become more hardcore.

Not long after that, I got into trouble with the law, and I had to go live with my Brother in L.A. I had a TG-16 and a Genesis at the time. My brother worked 16 hour days, and was always gone, so there was nothing to do for me, but to play games. So I got really, really into the Genesis and TG-16 and video game magazines. I even found a place in Woodland Hills that rented TG-16 and Genesis games. Not only that, but they had the TG-16 to PC Engine converters. You could rent the converters and a PC Engine game. So I started doing that. I also read every single video game magazine that hit newstands. What a dumbass, because I was paying the full newstand price for all of them too!!!

Basically at age 21, when I bought the SNES the day it came out, that is when I truly became a hardcore gamer. From that point on, I've bought every single game console on the day of release (except 3DO, got that about 4 months after release).

Anyways, the bottom line is that I became a hardcore gamer at the age of 21, which is kinda late to become a hardcore gamer. I would imagine that most people get really into gaming when they are much younger. I was kinda late to the party.

Now I'm 34, and still hardcore, and I don't imagine that I will ever tire of this hobby.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was 30 when I got seriously into gaming.

I always liked Pong, and in my twenties I played for about a month almost every evening Galaga in an arcade; but studies, libraries, and teaching came first, gaming wasn't on my schedule. But the NES got me into gaming bigtime.

I'm a native German, and in '89 I decided to move to the US. I remember that I read in the Herald Tribune in Germany an ironic column about parents fighting in stores for a game named Zelda for their kids as a Christmas present; I wrote on a piece of paper the name of the system...Nintendo.

One week after my arrival I bought a NES, and when I discovered a warp zone in SMB (WHAT??) I was lost. Since then I'm a game maniac. My interest in games never slowed down since then.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm proud to say that I've always been a serious gamer... I think I've been gaming since I was 6
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah. I had a Genesis as a kid (as well as a C=64 and later an Amiga 500), and I enjoyed them a lot, but I sold my Genesis when I was 15 or 16 and didn't play games much until the Dreamcast came out. I just had to have the new Sega system. I amassed a fair number of games for it, but I didn't start collecting anything else until about 2002 or so; now I have a bunch of systems. I started out with just the Sega stuff, but eventually got into Nintendo, Neo Geo, etc.

I blame part of my addiction on my parents -- they finally caved in and got me a Genesis in 1991, but for the longest time they wouldn't let me have a game console, and I wanted an NES or Game Boy sooo bad.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin

I always liked Pong, and in my twenties I played for about a month almost every evening Galaga in an arcade; but studies, libraries, and teaching came first, gaming wasn't on my schedule. But the NES got me into gaming bigtime.

I'm a native German, and in '89 I decided to move to the US. I remember that I read in the Herald Tribune in Germany an ironic column about parents fighting in stores for a game named Zelda for their kids as a Christmas present; I wrote on a piece of paper the name of the system...Nintendo.

One week after my arrival I bought a NES, and when I discovered a warp zone in SMB (WHAT??) I was lost. Since then I'm a game maniac. My interest in games never slowed down since then.

wow, so how old are you now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played lots of games as a kid. Atari 2600, NES, and SNES being my main systems. I got out near the end of the SNES's life, but I was never hardcore. I got back into gaming at 20 and I would call myself a hardcore gamer now. So while I had my start at an early age, I didn't really collect or obsess over gaming until I was an adult.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been hardcore since I was 5 and the Atari 2600 was a thing of newness. Alright, not really hardcore, but by the time the NES came around games were my life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Hey, hey. Lendelin's still around. Where've ya been?

Not sure what one means by "late" in life. There's always, always been some sort of electronic entertainment in the house but I really didn't get serious (as in beyond just playing a game now and then) about gaming until 1987 when my parents got me a NES. Probably to their dismay I became a video game nut and made that my hobby. I would have been 12 at the time.

When the magazines started coming out for that era was when the interest really kicked in and hasn't really stopped.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I have been a hardcore gamer for quite some time now. I didn't have a ton of games when I started (I was only like 5 years old), but I would play the games I did have , ALL THE TIME!!! My dad started playing games when he was in his mid -late 30's. He has since become addicted, and is one of (if not the) most hardcore gamer I know.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Wait a minute. You consider 20 to be "late in life?!?" Since you're already 34 I guess that means you're planning on checking out sometime soon...

I'd pick my mid to upper 20s personally. More or less it's the time I started buying less CDs and more games.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

My first system was a Pong machine I got back in 1977. Didnt know anything about being a gamer.
    The second system I got and still have is an Intelivision back in 1982. Back then I just played it ocassionally. I was'nt too big on videogames because I spent a lot of time hanging out in the streets. Most of my gamin was in an arcade playing Defender Stargate.

In 85 My brother bought a NES. I only got to play it when I got home because I was in the Marines Corps.

Then came 1992 when I first saw Streetfighter 2 on the SNES. I became a hardcore gamer ever since.

So yes, I really got into real gaming later in life.

Ohyeah, BTW, Im 39

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin

wow, so how old are you now?
    47...in my best years and still not smarter.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    Hey, hey. Lendelin's still around. Where've ya been?
    I was in Germany for nine weeks (pleasure and for a research project). I came back last Saturday. No games, no videogame website, no playing...it was terrible. I tried to compensate for it with good old German traditional food and watching soccer...AHHH...you should try a good German sausage, bread and rolls, and the pastries. I miss them already.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm 45. I didn't even TOUCH a controller until the launch of the N64 (a friend bought one and showed me it), I bought an N64 ASAP and I decided that I liked gaming enough to spend 4 years in the industry. Then I decided that I liked it enough that I had better get OUT of the industry before it ruined the fun of gaming.

I collect the N64. I have a Cube, NES, Genny and Dreamcast as non-collecting permanents. I rotate owning a PS2 and Xbox every few years. I'm back with the Xbox now.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

Ive been a gamer since I was about 5 when I got my NES... which would have been 1990. I was a NES kid

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was never not a gamer. I was deep into the EM games and pinball when that was all that existed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't own a "true" gaming system till I got a NES when I was 10 (I had a Mattel Aquarius before that). I consider that to be rather late in life, especially in modern times. Nowadays I think you would have to search long and hard to find a 10 year old boy who had never really played video games on a regular basis.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    Wait a minute. You consider 20 to be "late in life?!?"

Well, not in general, but from a gaming standpoint, yes, somewhat. Most people get into gaming as young kids, and then become gaming nuts around 11 or 12 years old, and then get really hardcore in their teens and late teens.

I basically became hardcore at about 21 years old, which I guess isn't that late in the game, but it's probably quite a bit later than most kids growing up today.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Well, not in general, but from a gaming standpoint, yes, somewhat. Most people get into gaming as young kids, and then become gaming nuts around 11 or 12 years old, and then get really hardcore in their teens and late teens.
    Eh... I don't know; I don't honestly believe that most of us, regardless of how much we liked games, were truly "hardcore" gamers/collectors that young. Kids just don't have the kind of funds and gaming knowledge for that. While I really loved games as a kid, played them a lot, and never sold any of them, I didn't have the ability to really collect until my late teens/early twenties, nor did I have a wealth of gaming knowledge until I acquired a large library of games and read up on a lot of stuff online.

I guess it depends on how you define a "gaming nut". At that age, I think all kids are just doing whatever they feel is fun with their free time. I played games a lot at that age, but I wasn't putting much thought or effort into gaming as a hobby. I guess you could basically call me a "casual gamer" back then.

Of course, there are some people here who are only in their early/mid teens and they already have hundreds of games (maybe thousands? O_o ), but that is definitely NOT the norm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Retsudeo, do you enjoy air strikes or what?

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r