Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The DOOM 3 Xbox Collectors Edition case...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I'm glad everyone is enjoying this good game that I got and beat six months ago.
    Yeah but we got co-op

I'me lovin' it so far, but then again I've just gotten into shooters so I'm into anything FPS right now, it a whole cool new world to me. I love the enviorments in this, very creepy, all the dark shadows and such, I've jumped more than a few times after entering what I though was an uninhabited shadow.

I also like how you can't use a flashlight and gun at the same time, it makes the gameplay very creepy, and makes you think twice if you wanna find out what's in that dark corner or shoot first and ask questions later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is, until level 6 or so. The first Pinky kicks my ass every time. It's because he attacks at the same time as that damn Imp. So I never make it past that part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I'm fighting on Medium (Marine) difficulty, and the curve is gradually increasing. At first, I was pissed that Imps kept appearing out of nowhere, but I eventually got used to that. Plus, the armor really cuts down on the damage you take. Welp, now, I realize that there is a factor of impermanence to the armor, and I just got my ass kicked recently... BY A FUCKING REVENANT. GODDAMMIT, I FUCKING HATE REVENANTS. They were, without hyperbole, one of my most hated demons in Doom II (below the Arch-Vile, Spider Mastermind, and Cyberdemon, of course), and they prove to be assholes here. Thankfully, I just learned that the Plasma Rifle destroys their rockets. I should use this advice, since I've just mainly been using my Chainsaw lately.

Seriously, that damn Chainsaw is too freaking powerful. All I need is one second (oftentimes less) to reduce a demon to a corpsy mass of meaty gibs. I'm drowning in my ammunition now, but I best start using distance weapons now, what with the freaking Revenants... and Dr. Betruger keeps taunting me, so I expect pain to happen. Still, I'm doing well, and I expect to enter Hell soon enough. If my calculations are correct... I'm bound to face three Mancubi soon. :/

On the plus side, I picked up some rockets before I died, so I estimate that I'm not too far away from a Rocket Launcher. Bwahahaha...

P.S.: Revenants suck.

P.P.S.: Who else found out how to play Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3? AWESOME.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone disappointed with the controller vibration effect in Doom 3? I didn't even notice it was on when I was firing the pistol for the first time. It was so weak, I actually thought the option was switched off until I went to the options screen to confirm it wasn't. When I picked up the bigger guns like the shotgun and machine gun, I could notice but it still felt real wimpy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Xbox controller emits an annoying buzz when it vibrates, so I don't care for any vibration on the Xbox anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got it today! It rocks!!

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The level design and layout in the later levels blows away their older stuff completely. Levels will start out normal metal structure, and gradually be replaced by organs and blood and fire pits before reforming as the original building again. Giant intestines, rib cages, it's super neato.

I'll tell ya one thing, the Cyberdemon is hard. Also.. he changed way too much.

SPOILER!!!!!1111ONE!!!

This is DOOM, not Smash TV. Why is his bottom half a tank?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Anyone disappointed with the controller vibration effect in Doom 3?
    i am. first i thought i was the motors (since i've taken the controller apart a few times, thought i busted something)
    *insert signature >here<*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CyberDemon was a pushover! One hit from my already-been-charged-since-Hell SoulCube and he was down. Dead. Lifeless (If you will) as a brick. Head down, no ammo at all would hurt him.

I mean wow. Why the hell was he easy? What the heck? He's the CYBERDEMON! (Or so they say..)

Something tells me Sarge WASN'T the CyberDemon. God I hope not. I want my two legged goat-like horned bullish CyberDemon!

According to the FAQ on GameFAQ's, the CyberDemon is Sarge with a Tank bottom. And the actual Boss is a "giant demon equipped with a rocket
    launcher." But.. Isn't THAT the CyberDemon? ISN'T THAT THE CYBERDEMON? Who at id decided to change this? Or is the FAQ writer a moron?

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

That's it, some of you may have noticed that my "Now Playing" has had Doom 3 in it since it came out on PC, and I'm still only a quarter of the way through or so. To be honest the horrendous load times are what turned me off, and I've got a damn fine PC. The game looks great when i get into it but it takes forever.

I've gotta go back and finish it. I always thought the game got panned a bit too much, the atmosphere of the game is absolutely unbeatable. If you've got surround sound, use it. The first time I heard an Imp's fireball fly past my head and explode behind me I crapped myself and got a boner at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How long are your load times?

BTW, I can't stress how awesomely designed these last levels are. They may be short, but the detail is astounding. Especially the bloody organs growing out in some places, almost real looking.

Our time is here! Soon the humans will suffer eternal torment as spoken of in the prophecy. We will feast upon thier souls!

While opening sacrificial portals, it is important to remember:

- Virgin blood is best
    - Goat blood must be no older than 3 days
    - Entrails must be removed and apportioned either before death or no later than 30 min
    - Candles must be sorted by tallest in back to shortest in front - never the other way around!

Most important - pentagrams must be drawn from the center to the outside and left to right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    I've gotta go back and finish it. I always thought the game got panned a bit too much, the atmosphere of the game is absolutely unbeatable. If you've got surround sound, use it. The first time I heard an Imp's fireball fly past my head and explode behind me I crapped myself and got a boner at the same time.
    I concur on the atmosphere, and the random laughter and Latin chanting I hear also helps. Who's doing that shit anyway, Dr. Betruger? I just get the feeling that some eyeless screaming face is going to flash on the screen for a split second, and I'll be thinking "WHAT THE GOBBLES WAS THAT??!??" Heh... an example of me being startled: This one smart zombie marine made sure that the first thing I heard from him was a LOUD shotgun blast from close range. That one seriously startled me... beautiful. While the music to the first two Doom games is damn good, I think it was a good idea to sacrifice tunes for "ambience" here... and ambience I use loosely, as there are many noises that you are guaranteed to hear, just not much of it music.

Jasoco, about the Cyberdemon...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

The mutated Sergeant Kelly you fought is known as Sabaoth. The REAL Cyberdemon comes at the end of the game!

END POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Question: Not counting the Vagary, Guardian, Sabaoth, and Cyberdemon (the boss monsters), what's the worst demon to deal with? So far, I've already had my fill of the stupid Revenants, but I haven't dealt with Cherubs, Mancubi, or Hell Knights yet.

And am I really the only one that's found Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3?

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    I concur on the atmosphere, and the random laughter and Latin chanting I hear also helps. Who's doing that shit anyway, Dr. Betruger? I just get the feeling that some eyeless screaming face is going to flash on the screen for a split second, and I'll be thinking "WHAT THE GOBBLES WAS THAT??!??" Heh... an example of me being startled: This one smart zombie marine made sure that the first thing I heard from him was a LOUD shotgun blast from close range. That one seriously startled me... beautiful. While the music to the first two Doom games is damn good, I think it was a good idea to sacrifice tunes for "ambience" here... and ambience I use loosely, as there are many noises that you are guaranteed to hear, just not much of it music.
    This is what makes the game so great. I really need to hook this up to my Dad's Surround and see what it's like.

Jasoco, about the Cyberdemon...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

The mutated Sergeant Kelly you fought is known as Sabaoth. The REAL Cyberdemon comes at the end of the game!

END POSSIBLE SPOILERS
    Thank God. The asshat who wrote the "Boss FAQ" got them mixed up. *phew*

No. I found it too. I turned it on. And if you get 25,000 points, you get a humorous email. Well worth pressing A repeatedly for a few minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    No. I found it too. I turned it on. And if you get 25,000 points, you get a humorous email. Well worth pressing A repeatedly for a few minutes.
    Shit! I knew I shouldn't have quit after about 3,000 point or so. Aw well, at least they give you the option to replay all the maps you've cleared.

I remember the Boss FAQ you're referring to, but I took more heed of the Weapons and Enemy guide, which is rather more accurate.

So, who's doing all that Latin chanting and laughter? I'm pretty sure that it's Betruger, but is there some random force that I don't know about yet? And when do I get the Rocket Launcher, BFG, and Soulcube? As awesome as the Chainsaw is, I can't fight every demon up close and expect to walk away unscathed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    So, who's doing all that Latin chanting and laughter? I'm pretty sure that it's Betruger, but is there some random force that I don't know about yet? And when do I get the Rocket Launcher, BFG, and Soulcube? As awesome as the Chainsaw is, I can't fight every demon up close and expect to walk away unscathed.
    I'm doing all the laughing.

The BFG is found either later before Hell in a Security Office. Then another is found in Hell before the Boss fight outside of the wall. (You have to walk along the ledge to get it. You'll know where it is when you pick up BFG Ammo. SoulCube is after Hell. The Guardian is um guarding it. I used it once on the Saboth and he colapsed like a tree struck by lightning. What a let down he was. Oh well, he was a stupid "boss" anyway. The Rocket Launcher is in there somewhere too. You find it a few times. Once or twice before Hell and once or twice in or after Hell. (SPOILER: You lose all your weapons when you enter the portal to Hell.)

I still want to know where the damn "They took my baby" part is! It's so creepy I gotta find it!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm enjoying Doom 3 (Xbox) also. But one complaint. Why does it have you crouch when you push the left stick in? Apparently whenever I freak out and need to do a fast sidestep I put enough pressure on the stick so that instead of stepping out of the way, I crouch down and eat a fireball. Stupidest controller implementation ever.

As far as the BGM in the original Doom games versus the ambient sound in Doom 3, have you guys played Doom / Final Doom for the Playstation or Saturn? Those versions ditched the hard rockin' MIDI tunes from the PC version and instead had all kinds of creepy ambient sound. And while I did like the PC tunes, I thought the PS/Saturn version was even creepier because of the background noises. (Note: The PS version is better than the Saturn version, which runs slower and has slight controller input lag.) I had bought the PS versions of Doom and Final Doom to play full-screen co-op and deathmatch (via link cable), but I was pleasantly surprised by the bonus creepy factor.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

w00t, just bought the CE, rental's not ever over yet ;P

shoot me an XBL invite @ xILLYRIAx
    *insert signature >here<*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What level is the Super Turkey Puncher game? I saw it but I didn't think you could play it.

I'm on the second Hell level -- and I got there first day I had the game. But the eye candy is worth it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I just went back to this game today and came to the sad conclusion that I will never, ever finish it. It just took me a long ass time to get through the Communications Transfer and I nearly crapped myself the whole way. I can never play more than one level at a time and even then I have to muster up enough courage to do so.

This game has turned me into a complete and total pussy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Super Turbo Turkey Puncher Threeee (Working one) is on a level after the attack in the break room, lounge, whatever you want to call it. You have to turn it on from behind though.

Someone on an FAQ says it's accessible before the attack, but I see no way how.

Also, there's a non-working one later in the game with no way to turn it on. But by then you got demons after your ass so you don't have time to play anyway.