Thread: A PlayStation peripheral i'd like to see!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default A PlayStation peripheral i'd like to see!

If there is one thing i'd like to see for the PlayStation (And maybe other consoles too) is a memory card which has a Memory Stick Duo slot in it.

It's so simple and ingenious, I am very surprised Sony, or even one of the third parties haven't yet thought of it!

It would mean mass storage of game saves, as well as the feature to upload them online and share with the world, to be downloaded again and used by someone the other side of the globe...

Come on Sony - Give us what we want!!! After all, you are the kings of connectability! (Can't I even connect an Aibo to my PS2?)

Even if a third party developed a USB Memory Stick Duo device, then that is something.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

There are many devices for this sort of thing.

I think for n64 and PSX there is what is called a dexdrive, which uses I believe a serial connection to a PC and some special hardware to read/write to and from the cards for those systems.

For xbox, any sort of interface with a PC and an xbox controller should work, there's also the action replay device that can do it. For gamecube there are usb memorycards, and the Max Drive action replay which is basically the same. Ps2 I'm not so sure on, I do think there is a max drive for it as well though.

Most GBA action replays I've seen are USB and can therefore manipulate saves as well. For saturn (and also psx) there are action replay devices with some weirdass port on them that you can use to transfer (codes for sure, fairly sure saves as well) to and from your PC if you have a special PCI card for it. Dreamcast I think has a third party emmory card that can connect via serial, It may also have a dexdrive, not sure, and ultimately you CAN go online and download saves if the page is set up for it properly.

Anything else I'm missing?

edit: the main reason as to why no first party things of this nature are made is that many of them open the door for deafeating various protections. The gamecube max drive pro can directly boot to a program that will load burned mini dvds, the xbox memcard can be loaded with saves that will let you soft mod your system, ect ect.

edit2: i just thought of another, even more likely reason they don't make these, if you had the choice between buying the "infinite" card (even if it was probably overinflated in price, and required the memorystickers and whatnot), or the 20-25 dollar ps2 card everytime you needed one, which would you choose?

edit3: damnit someone would post what i was editing in better and at the same time, heh

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony is out there to make money, if they released something like this then people would stop buying regular memory cards. Sony makes so much money off of memory cards they simply couldn't stop offering them with a convenient replacement. Besides I'm not sure if that is even possible or practical to do. I believe there is a USB based memory solution lke the one you seek. There are also dex drive like units available so you can save games to your PCs HDD and send them to friends. Maybe if we're lucky the PS3 will have a flash based memory slot but don't count on it. The only reason the PSP has one is because of the size of the unit and the whole media player thing.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Sony is out there to make money, if they released something like this then people would stop buying regular memory cards. Sony makes so much money off of memory cards they simply couldn't stop offering them with a convenient replacement. Besides I'm not sure if that is even possible or practical to do. I believe there is a USB based memory solution lke the one you seek. There are also dex drive like units available so you can save games to your PCs HDD and send them to friends. Maybe if we're lucky the PS3 will have a flash based memory slot but don't count on it. The only reason the PSP has one is because of the size of the unit and the whole media player thing.
    ....But wouldn't it also mean more sales of Memory Stick Duo's?
    RIP Bargora.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

there's memory module for PS2 that uses SD card from memory...
    I will look for one next time I'm in Japan...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a feeling the PS3 may employ this somehow. Even if it's a PS3 only feature (Like how PS1 games can only use PS1 cards, PS 2 games use PS2 cards.)

But then it would also mean the PS3 would have a whole lot of extra orts for backwards compatibility. So I fear they may just decide to use the same basic memory card design... again.

I say to Sony, just dump backwards compatibility.

Allright.. back to DOOM 3....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There are even instructions for making your own PSX homebrew Dexdrive-like device from a PC floppy cable out there.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)