Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been thinking...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I've been thinking...

What's wrong with all of those so-called "gamers" (no offense to other gamers) who hate games with bad graphics. I mean, seriously, without Atari and Magnavox Oddessey, we wouldn't be where we were today.How can you like a game depending on it's graphics?! That's not even why I like games like RE4 and REmake.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: I've been thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetradio4ever
    What's wrong with all of those so-called "gamers" (no offense to other gamers) who hate games with bad graphics. I mean, seriously, without Atari and Magnavox Oddessey, we wouldn't be where we were today.How can you like a game depending on it's graphics?! That's not even why I like games like RE4 and REmake.

Well, I think many people don't like games that are before their time. I too am kind of like this. I like very few games that were made before I was born, or games that were popular when I was too young to play them. I realize that systems like the Atari 2600 paved the way for the games we have today, but I just can't play the games if offers. Pac-Man is the only really old game that I like alot. I think it aged really well, and will still be a great game in another 50 years.

I enjoy the NES, because I LOVED it when I was growing up. Many of the games bring back great memories, and I find alot of the games to be very fun as well.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's kinda like a beautiful woman (or something to that effect) - it's the first appealing thing people notice, and if you're shallow enough it's the only thing you notice. It somewhat translates through to a casual (but not necessrily shallow) gamer - if it's pretty, it's good and you should buy it. Gameplay isn't considered nearly enough, but let's face it - as long as the only thing on the back of the box is pictures, graphics are gonna be the biggest selling point to most people. It's a shame, but that's the way it goes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well yes but at least your not the kind of person to be so snobbish as to say "Those graphics suck! That game sucks!" People even say this about games like Katamary Damaci (pardon the spelling). I even know a guy who nearly got beat up for having a Gameboy Pocket. You know why? Everyone I know thinks that it's 'gay.'

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Don't worry, someday it won't be a fad anymore and those people will be too busy bitching about something in the new fad they're caught up in to bother you.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer
    Don't worry, someday it won't be a fad anymore and those people will be too busy bitching about something in the new fad they're caught up in to bother you.
    Exactly what he said

Yet, to answer the first question...Define bad graphics? Because for me, it's all about Gameplay before graphics imho
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed this, too. I think I agree with the first reply, that basically people can go back as far as they actually played originally, and not much farther. To a degree, that's true for me, too. My first system was a 2600, and I don't play many of the systems that were out before then. I have very little interest in some of the older computers you will find them lauding over in magazines like Retro Gamer. It's partly the graphics, partly the speed, and partly the fact that the programmers had so little to work with. Back then, some of the things they were doing is amazing, but they will never be amazing to me because I was never there.

Back to the graphics, I was at Gamestop somewhat recently and buying up a few good PSone games, and of course they tried to hawk a bunch of frigging reserve offers at me. I told them I don't buy up too much of the current gen games because they are way too pricey, and he said "Yeah, I know, but I can't play games unless they have the best graphics." I asked him, "Even Psone?", and he said he just couldn't stand the graininess.

I really like great graphics. I get a huge kick out of playing that Riddick game on the XBOX (which is a good game, believe it or not) partly because of how amazing it looks. Why not? There are a ton of reasons to love a game and graphics are one of them.

The only time that graphics restrict me from playing games is some of the original attempts at moving into 3D. Some old "3D" driving games, and a handful of the longbox PSOne games look SO bad because they just did an awful job of putting the game in three dimensions. I'm all about 2D graphics, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that one, around here.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only time bad graphics bother me is when they can't effectively portray what is going on. IE Pop Up, Slowdown, And clipping issues, polygons dropping out, improper shadows. Stuff like that. I also hate slowdown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's kind of sad that a lot of people won't play games that were before their time. I used to be like that with movies, not wanting to watch anything in black and white. But now I can watch stuff like that and appreciate it. Knowing the context of when something was released makes things more impressive too. The same applies to video games. A lot of the early ones have aged incredibly well anyway, especially arcade games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    I think it's kind of sad that a lot of people won't play games that were before their time. I used to be like that with movies, not wanting to watch anything in black and white. But now I can watch stuff like that and appreciate it. Knowing the context of when something was released makes things more impressive too. The same applies to video games. A lot of the early ones have aged incredibly well anyway, especially arcade games.
    Well, I understand what you mean, and I certainly play every arcade game (mame-style) but I really didn't miss many video game systems. Just the ones from the 70s, mostly.

I am mostly referring to the old Atari computers, and those computers that use tapes (tapes, not cartridges), etc... they were so far before my time.

I also enjoy old movies, and see where you are coming from.
    -Mark

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if the graphics of a game are so bad, making it unplayable, thats a good reason. If a game that came out... today on the PS2 looked like an early PS1 title, I think that a lot of people wouldnt like it, because its sort of like 'the technology is there... use it'.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I have fond memories of games like Mario Bros. and Bionic commando.. but you cant ever get that magic back man, sitting there for 8 hours playing Mario... just doesnt do it like it used to.

Gotta have respect for the classics but dont honestly act surprised when your nephew wont sit down with Yars revenge and play like its Halo, aint gonna happen.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy
    I have fond memories of games like Mario Bros. and Bionic commando.. but you cant ever get that magic back man, sitting there for 8 hours playing Mario... just doesnt do it like it used to.

Gotta have respect for the classics but dont honestly act surprised when your nephew wont sit down with Yars revenge and play like its Halo, aint gonna happen.
    Very true, my little cousins and I play games a lot, and they do have a short interest in something like Bubble Bobble/ TMNT 2, but put them in front of Soul Calibur 2 or Power Stone 2 and they would be occupied for days.
    -Mark

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So then people today are basically graphics whores? :P

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.....the Cube, DC, PS2 and Xbox (especially Xbox) make it rather easy to be a graphics whore. You can't blame Joe Average for preferring modern eye candy.

I remember when I started with the N64. I honestly thought that the graphics were SO realistic. I have a strong fondness for the system....I collect it. Playing it? I've clocked YEARS of time on the console but it takes me a bit of play time to "adjust downwards" to the graphics, considering that most of my time is now spent on 128 bit, but it doesn't detract from the experience of playing the game. The N64 is weird anyways (that's why I love it). It's not exactly retro, and not completely modern.

I have some pre-N64 stuff but I rarely fire them up, and have a hard time getting into them....not because of the graphics quality.....but rather because of the over-the-top difficulty of the older systems.

I've heard plenty of comments from Joe Average about 128 being shit as well, so it isn't just retro that they can dislike. Strangely enough, look at Grand Theft Auto 3 and 4.....wildly popular and the graphics are not exactly the best. Hell....even Halo 2 isn't up to snuff for Xbox graphics. Sudeki blows it away without even trying but Halo 2 is still playable and sold a shitload. Joe Average didn't care that the graphics in these games were less than stellar.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, I too don't play much from before when I started gaming with the NES. It's not that I don't want to; it's just that I haven't found any of the systems at an affordable price yet. And since I have no nostalgia or experience with those games, it's not a priority to me, since I wouldn't even know very much about what games to get. Sort of an ignorance is bliss kinda situation. I'm much more inclined to go after the stuff that I already know about and have a strong interest in. Also, NES and pre-NES gaming are two distinct types of gaming. Growing up with the NES style taught me to love games by the Japanese and game with a clear progression of beginning to end, so I don't even know how much I may like those older games. I'll just have to wait and see, I suppose. O_o Ultimately, I don't think it has to do with graphics much.

I have a couple friends that don't care to play older games unless they played them as a child, but they're not about to be jackasses about how we play all kinds of older stuff. I guess I'm fortunate in that I don't know anyone that absolutely REFUSES to play something unless it's the latest, "greatest" thing. At least those aforementioned friends can still have a great time playing stuff like Zelda 1 and Battle of Olympus with us. :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a HUGE difference between "simple" graphics and "bad" graphics.

IMO, a lot of 32/64 bit era stuff was UGLY. 3D just did not look good, no matter how it was done. Honestly I still think 3D has a very long way to go before it starts to look appealing to me. ONCE in a while I'll see a still shot and think it looks good, but anything moving (especially human figures) is still sooooooo far off that it looks horrid to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disregard anything before the 1985 NES system. I don't feel that Atari, Coleco, Intelli, etc contributed as much to the gaming industry as Nintendo did by a long shot, and thus I have an issue with disregarding them.

I've played many games on my 2600 and so forth, but I never felt the ignition that the NES ignited.

At any rate, I don't appreciate people who can't appreciate the past as a whole.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't say I'm one of these people who won't play a game with bad graphics. I care about good graphics to some extent but when determining what is good and bad I think of games only for that system. Sure, every 2600 game looks like crap when comparing it to Doom 3 or Halo 2 but I personally think Atlantis and Galaxian have excellent graphics. Adventure is a game that actually does have pretty awful graphics and is still enjoyable to play once you get past that. I pretty much have no problem with 2d games on any system. I was born in '85 and I own and play vectrex,2600,sms,nes etc. However some of those early 3d games look so bad they're unplayable. Many of the 3d games on the jag,32x,saturn and psx look terribly dated. They definitely should have come out with more 2d games on those systems because those looked great.Personally I prefer the graphics in Symphony of the Night to those in any 128 bit game.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a HUGE difference between "simple" graphics and "bad" graphics.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!