Thread: I've been thinking...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    There's a HUGE difference between "simple" graphics and "bad" graphics.
    That reminds me of a point I was trying to make when I wrote a review on Final Fantasy 7. There is an issue of design, when it comes to graphics, and good design is a timeless thing. I was trying to make the point that some of the graphics in that game were poorly designed to begin with, such as the bizarre toothpick biceps and block hands. It isn't an issue of the game looking outdated now nor an issue of limitations back then. They COULD have designed the graphics in a more appealing and less awkward looking way (and they did in the battles). On the other hand, I'll look at a game like the first Super Mario Bros., and while its graphics are very simple, I can't really find any flaws in the design itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im all for the gameplay. dont get me wrong I do luv great technology pushing graphics I.E. Splinter Cell etc but Ive never been a complete graphics whore.

I have no problem with any so-called "old" games as long as they are at the very least GOOD games.
    case in point Ive been addicted to the original Legend of Zelda on EMU for the last couple weeks wich is STILL my favorite game ever.

I do have to admit that many of the 32-bit/64-bit games DID NOT AGE WELL AT ALL as far as the graphics go .
    While I still enjoy many of my of the old 3-D PSone games like MGS it is difficult for me to go back to the very grainy graphics at times.
    The N64 has aged terribly unfortunately becasue I was soo impressed with this system the first time I played Mario64 and Zelda:OOT not that those games look all that bad even now but to me the MAJORITY of the N64s library wich is about 90% 3-D have aged terrribly, the same goes for many of the PSones 3-D library lots of slowdown low resolution etc make many of the 32/64-bit games painfull to go back to now
    Has anyone played the original Tomb Raider on Saturn lately? ugh its almost unbearable x_x and I love the Saturn moslty because of its 2-D capabilities and games like Panzer Dragoon Saga showed that the Saturn was actually very capable of some nice 3-D.

Anyway my point is that I have no problem whatsoever going back to NES or especially many of the still beautiful 2-D 16-bit games then playing a PS2 or Dreamcast game it just isnt the same when going back to play the 32/64-bit 3-D games even if they are great games overall.

and by the way GTA3 is still one of my favorite games and it looks fine to me as does about 95% of any of the current-gen games they all look good to great as far as Im concerned but hey I didnt start out on PSone like many younger gamers did I started out on an Atari2600
    You see thats what REALLY urks me the wrong way is when ANYONE complains about current-gen graphics I just dont get it but hey that just goes to show im an old folgey or f&^%$

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I don't play anything pre-NES outside of arcade machines either. But that's what I grew up with. I rarely touch the NES and LOVE everything from SNES/Genny on. Just what you're raised with.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I literally grew up with video games, but I just can't get into anything before the 16BIT era for very long anymore. 16BIT is my sweet spot for sure, and everything after that is equally enjoyable, but everything before that is just too lame and archaic to me now. (Except maybe certain NES or SMS games!)

But it's not just the Ancient School graphics that look too outdated to me now, it's also the ridiculous easiness of the gameplay that's not much fun. I guess 8BIT is just too simplistic for my modern tastes to continue enjoying it the same way I used to. Simple graphics + simple gameplay = simply boring.

However, I realize that alot of people feel that way about 16BIT now, and I'm fully aware that someday my love for 16BIT will be as difficult for other gamers to fathom as it is for me to fathom how other gamers can still get into 8BIT. So it does seem to have alot to do with the prime of your youth.

We seem to hold onto alot more than just the games themselves when we get nostalgic about our personal golden eras, so there will always be people who prefer retro gaming over modern gaming, just as there will always be people who prefer modern gaming over retro gaming. But today's modern gamers are most likely to become tomorrow's retro gamers at some point. You just get to a point where keeping up with the latest trends becomes far less desirable than wallowing in the glory days of your youth, and that's when you become a retro gamer and discover which era is your sweet spot. I don't think there's any harm in it. Everyone has a different sweet spot, and everything older or newer than that just doesn't do it for them, that's all.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Wha, easy gameplay? O_o Are we playing the same 8-bit games here? Prior to the 16-bit generation, games were WAY harder. Or do you mean simplistic gameplay, as in simple controls or not a lot of different moves and such? A lot of 16-bit games were just as simple. Just look at Sonic the Hedgehog. :P

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    We seem to hold onto alot more than just the games themselves when we get nostalgic about our personal golden eras, so there will always be people who prefer retro gaming over modern gaming, just as there will always be people who prefer modern gaming over retro gaming. But today's modern gamers are most likely to become tomorrow's retro gamers at some point. You just get to a point where keeping up with the latest trends becomes far less desirable than wallowing in the glory days of your youth, and that's when you become a retro gamer and discover which era is your sweet spot. I don't think there's any harm in it. Everyone has a different sweet spot, and everything older or newer than that just doesn't do it for them, that's all.
    I can agree with whats being said here.

I don't collect or play games from anything Pre-NES (although i have a soft spot for some 2600 games)...its not really because of simple graphics or gameplay...i have no nostalgic memories of playing anything other than the 2600.

The love for things older stems from either wishing to experience games from the past or, as Iron Dragon said, "wallowing in the glory days". Alot of why we love the things we do is from nostalgia and having "been there" to experience what these systems had to offer in thier day.

But we all know that after the "video game fad" crumbles and the dust settles, the only ones left standing are going to be the ones we really care.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, I find that a lot of my favorites aren't games that I experienced when I was younger, but I think having a few that you did enjoy back in the day makes a great entry point. If you got a reason to pick up a console, then you'll likely pick up other games as you acquire the few that you remember. Then you discover new favorites in the process. If you've never experienced ANY game for a particular console, then you don't have much of a reason track the system down in the first place. That's why there are a lot of systems I'd like to eventually own, but since I have no urgency to play any game in particular, I'm not about to go and buy them on eBay immediately for high prices. I may as well wait to stumble across them somewhere really cheap. :P