Thread: Anyone ever worked at an arcade?

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Default Anyone ever worked at an arcade?

I'm needing to find a new job and this time I hope to find something I can at least somewhat enjoy. My last job had annoying customers and strict uniforms rules. I can deal with that. What I can't deal with is that combined with massive HEAT from the main workplace being completely flanked by windows and my shifts starting in the afternoon and black dresspants and...you get what I'm saying.

ANYWAY, my local mall arcade always has their help wanted sign out. And what's the arcade like? Dark. Always. No matter what time of day it's dark and therefore not 1000 degrees in the arcade, even with all the hardware running in there. They don't seem to get tons of business per se either. I for one always walk in and out of an arcade without ever even bothering an employee (granted, i do that everywhere, but still). So my main concern of heat is taken away there (I'm a big guy, heat can lead to obvious problems), and maybe the customer load is slightly lightened, although possibly less mature.

And I am very interested in learning about the workings of arcade hardware as well, I study now and then slowly formulating what I would want in a MAME machine, so a lot of the basic theory behind how the machines work I already have in my head. I play around in the service modes in MAME and never feel too uncomfortable. The sign always says they have their own training, so i feel this could be an awesome learning experience.

Basically what I'm getting at here is, could someone point out any possible downsides to this to me? It probably doesn't pay much, but that's fine. I probably will mostly be handing out ticket prizes or lugging coins around or something, and that's fine too. Anyone have experiences with working at an arcade? What's it like, where do you start, ect. Any advice on how to apply? Namco has online apps, or would going in person be better? I go into the desire to work there knowing VERY WELL that it won't be playing games all day (I assume not at all even, which is fine, as taht's not why i wanna work there).

Advice please, guys.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like a good fit if you ask me. I'd find out what they pay before making a final decision (since I'm guessing the pay isn't great), but that's the only concern that comes to mind for me personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Default Re: Anyone ever worked at an arcade?

Local mall arcade? Janesville Mall Cyberstation? Seems like it'd be an easy job, mostly handing out redemption prizes to kids. It's a fine arcade, the few times I've roadtripped up there it got very very little traffic. The biggest crowd I saw was people standing outside the arcade watching me play DDR. A few friends of mine have worked at the Rockford Cyberstation, and the only reason they quit was boredom, or tired of juggling work & school. So it doesn't seem that bad.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer
    ...could someone point out any possible downsides to this to me?
    Kids parties, you wearing the clown costume, your boss likes clown colon...

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer
    ...would going in person be better?
    Just walk in, apply and act *interested*.

Prepare some questions for them:

Can you *pop* yourself some free credits after working hours,

is there any costume involved,

boss' preference, etc.
    Tony Fox
    Digital Press Resident Mix Master
    Digital Press Records NYC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Yeah I worked at Alladin's Castle for a few years. It got me into management fast and it was an EASY job. Changing out the lights in marquees, constantly cleaning, vaccuming, unclogging tickets (always happens), giving the people their prizes for tickets, and getting sexual favors from a cute redhead in the backroom (this actually happened ) were all part of the job.

It really was a great job, I used to take my Gameboy/Gamegear/and or lynx into work with me and play in the backroom. It does get hot though and lots of kids during any particular time of the day. They are usually VERY big on not playing any games though, I saw 2 people get fired for doing just that. What I wouldn't give to have a laid back job like that again, sadly I cant because they do not pay well at all. As a manager 10 years ago, I was only making $8.50/hour and I started as a part timer making $4.25/hr (minimum wage at the time).

Anyways, good luck and make sure to tell them HOW MUCH YOU LOVE WORKING WITH PEOPLE, ECSPECIALLY KIDS during your interveiw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    Local mall arcade? Janesville Mall Cyberstation? Seems like it'd be an easy job, mostly handing out redemption prizes to kids. It's a fine arcade, the few times I've roadtripped up there it got very very little traffic. The biggest crowd I saw was people standing outside the arcade watching me play DDR. A few friends of mine have worked at the Rockford Cyberstation, and the only reason they quit was boredom, or tired of juggling work & school. So it doesn't seem that bad.
    That's the one. Their DDR machine is in a good place for onlookers afterall. I like how the radioshack, arcade, and computer store are all next to each other now, with some inscense/hemp necklace store shoved in there somewhere. they should have that and the gamestop switch so the nerds all have one-stop-shopping, hehe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008
    Anyways, good luck and make sure to tell them HOW MUCH YOU LOVE WORKING WITH PEOPLE, ECSPECIALLY KIDS during your interveiw.
    Aww, man.

Well, in all honesty, giving out ticket prizes to kids will probably make me get along with them better, so who knows, heh.

edit: sorry for double posting, reply was going screwy on me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

It all depends on the arcade and that one sounds pretty decent. I worked at a couple in San Jose about six years ago, mostly doing basic maintenance and it was a good time. One of them we wouldn't close until about 2am most nights and there was always a constant stream of people coming in and out since the arcade was located in a strip mall next to a bar. It was a very older audence type of arcade, a last spark of the early days. Although on my SECOND day there someone had broken in over night, smashed all the topglass on all the pinball machines, bashed in a few monitors, destroyed a few control panels, and completely stole the #2 seat off Daytona USA. (hey, maybe one of them needed parts) Never caught the bastards though.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWily008
    and getting sexual favors from a cute redhead in the backroom (this actually happened ) were all part of the job
    Hmmm, that's just funny, maybe it goes on in all arcades? Except her hair was purple and orange and she had braces. Can't knock the fringe benefits.

Thanks for bringing back some memories DrWily008.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The only thing I would be concerned about is how long you are going to be on your feet. You mentioned that you're a bigger guy and were concerned about heat, which makes me think you might not want to be standing 8 hours a day either.

I would mention to them that you like video games and electronics so you know a lot about the games, but I wouldn't even ask about playing them. That's like applying to McDonald's and on your first day asking "now what's your policy on sitting where customers can see me and eating food?" Frankly it exposes a motive for wanting to work there that I don't think you want them to know. I've never worked at an arcade but it sounds like to me there are plenty of other things to keep you busy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first job ever was being a gameroom attendant at Chuck E. Cheeses. I actually started out doing parties but I was so bad at that, they put me in the gameroom.

It was a pretty easy job. 99% of the problems I encountered were people loosing their tokens in the game (mainly due to some little brat jamming it up with skee-ball tickets). I'd just give them another one (or sometimes a couple extra for their troubles) and un-jam the coin mech. I bet that's basically what you'll be doing if you get this gig in the mall arcade. You learn allot about games though just by messing around with them. I did.The more serious problems like busted monitors and stuff like I had no idea how to fix, so that stuff was always left to the technician to fix when he came in on the mornings. I picked up on things real easily though and could usually fix the Space Shuttle pin whenever we had problems with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damnit, double post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    The only thing I would be concerned about is how long you are going to be on your feet. You mentioned that you're a bigger guy and were concerned about heat, which makes me think you might not want to be standing 8 hours a day either.

I would mention to them that you like video games and electronics so you know a lot about the games, but I wouldn't even ask about playing them. That's like applying to McDonald's and on your first day asking "now what's your policy on sitting where customers can see me and eating food?" Frankly it exposes a motive for wanting to work there that I don't think you want them to know. I've never worked at an arcade but it sounds like to me there are plenty of other things to keep you busy.
    Well, my last job was mostly standing as well, so that's not really a problem. I'm big, but I'm not immobile or anything.

I don't plan on asking about playing either, if I wanna play a game, I'll wait till I'm off. Playing games is not my motive anyway.

Anyone else having troubles posting in this topic? anyone know why it stopped updating on the topic list after like 4 posts?